If you have received a Student Academic Progress - Restriction

Document Sample
If you have received a Student Academic Progress - Restriction Powered By Docstoc
If     you        have         received           a      Student              Academic          Progress             –
RESTRICTION letter do not ignore it!
What is ‘Show Cause’ (Restriction)?
The Student Academic Progress letter (proposal to restrict) that you have received informs you that your Faculty has
decided to restrict your enrolment based on your poor academic performance over recent trimesters.

This decision does not have to be final. This letter invites you to ‘Show Cause’. Show cause is the opportunity to
explain to the Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee (FAPDC) why this restriction should not occur. It
is the chance to explain why your academic progress has not been as good as it might have been and more
importantly, why you should not be restricted in your enrolment.

International Students: please note that restrictions to your studies can have visa implications. You should make
contact with Deakin International or your migration agent to discuss what this means for you.

What do I do if I receive a letter?
Read the letter carefully and check the dates. You have an opportunity to respond, but only within the dates

On your Reply Slip you will need to let the FAPDC know whether you:

     accept the proposal to restrict your enrolment. If you want to accept the restriction you do not need to respond,
     but it can be a good idea to send the reply slip back to let the faculty know your decision;

     wish to show cause why the proposal should not go ahead. If you wish to show cause and defend yourself, do
     not ignore this letter. You must inform the FAPDC within 10 working days of the letter’s date, of your
     intention to show cause.

On your Reply Slip you will also need to indicate whether you:

     will or will not be sending a written submission;
     will or will not be attending the hearing;
     if attending the hearing, whether you will or will not be accompanied.

If you do not respond to the letter, the FAPDC will assume that you agree with their decision and the
restriction will stand. This means you need to make sure you are enrolled correctly to meet the conditions of
the restriction. This is your responsibility and you will need to contact a course adviser in your faculty.

What steps do I take to ‘show cause’?
     To appeal the decision and ‘show cause’ you will need to prepare a written submission explaining why the
     restriction should not apply (example over the page) and collect any supporting documentation (e.g. a doctor’s
     letter, statutory declaration, etc.). The FAPDC want to hear what will be different about next year/semester. They
     want to know what changes you have made or steps you have taken to resolve the issues that prevented you
     from performing academically in the past. You may wish to propose an alternative restriction;
     Decide if you want to attend the hearing or make a written submission only;
     If you wish to make an appearance at the hearing, decide if you want to attend by yourself or have someone
     accompany you. You can take anyone you like provided that they are not a practising lawyer;
     Complete the application form received with the Student Academic Progress letter and attach your written
     submission and any supporting documentation – ensure you make copies for your own reference;
     Your submission must reach the FAPDC within 10 working days of the date printed on the top of the Student
     Academic Progress letter (or by the date specified in the letter). Late submissions will only be accepted in
     exceptional circumstances.
What happens now?
The FAPDC will set a date and time for your hearing. You will be notified of this if you indicated you would be

If you attend the hearing, you will normally be told of the FAPDC decision at the end of your hearing, otherwise in

You will be notified in writing of the outcome within 5 working days of the decision being made, so make sure that your
postal address is up to date in Student Connect.

What can I do if I disagree with the decision of the FAPDC?
If you disagree with the FAPDC decision, you may have the right to appeal to the Academic Appeals Committee
(AAC). There are specific and limited grounds for appeal. You will need to check that you qualify for one of these
before proceeding.

Please note that you only have 5 working days from the date of the FAPDC decision to notify the AAC that you will
be appealing the FAPDC decision. An AAC appeal form is included in the letter from the FAPDC notifying you of the
outcome of your case.

Where can I get further assistance?
For more information or to speak to an advocate about your situation, contact DUSA (please refer to table below).

A DUSA advocate can assist you to write your written submission, can attend the hearing with you and can provide
support and advice during any stage of the FAPDC and appeals process.

Please note that we do experience very busy periods, particularly at the end of each semester where we need to
assist a large number of students, so it is important that you book in to see an advocate as early as possible.

All campuses             Phone: 1300 555 528
                         Email: dusa-advocacy@deakin.edu.au
                         Web: http://dusa.org.au
Melbourne                Building A, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway,
                         Burwood, Vic 3125
                         Phone: 03 9244 6356       Fax: 03 9888 8796
Waterfront               Level 1, Deakin University, 1 Gheringhap Street,
                         Geelong, Vic 3217
                         Phone: 03 5227 8033     Fax: 03 5227 8030
Waurn Ponds              Level A, Fred Jevons Building, Deakin University,
                         Pigdons Road, Geelong, Vic 3217
                         Phone: 03 5227 3322     Fax: 03 5227 3319
Warrnambool              Building H2-3, Deakin University, Princes Highway,
                         Warrnambool, Vic 3280
                         Phone: 03 5563 3378             Fax: 03 5561 2726
The Secretary
The Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee
Faculty of <insert your faculty>
Deakin University
<insert the address of your campus>


                                                 (select correct one)

I, <put your name in here> wish to appeal against the restriction imposed in my course, <state the name
of your course here> pursuant to University Regulation 5.3(1).

Brief Introduction:
Provide the committee with some information about yourself. Some things you might like to include here
are year and area of study, academic history and evidence of your integrity. You may also like to include
some information about how receiving the letter has affected you. This should be kept brief.

State the grounds for your appeal:
1. Identify the problem
You need to explain to the committee what has been happening in your life which has impacted on your
study. Provide details of the circumstances/problems that have affected your academic progress such as
personal, financial, medical or emotional issues. You may also like to discuss which areas of academic
skills you are having trouble with.

2. Focus on the solution
Provide details about what has changed or what steps you have taken to overcome these problems. This
could be seeing a counsellor, seeing an academic skills adviser, or receiving medical treatment. If relevant,
discuss changes in living arrangements, personal relationships and your work commitments, etc. The main
point is to convince the committee that you are now (or will be next year/semester) in a much better
position to successfully complete your studies.

Summarise the main points including how the restriction would affect you. You may want to thank the
committee for their time in considering your case.

Yours sincerely,

Student Name, Student ID, Mailing Address, Telephone, E-mail

Provide copies of any documents that you think are relevant to your case. Some examples include
statutory declarations, letters of support from a professional person (counsellor/doctor), academic
transcripts, special consideration form, etc.