San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust
River Buddies Program Coordinator
The River Buddies Program Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of the
River Buddies preschool program at the Coke Hallowell Center for River Studies. Successful program
development includes the expansion of current services to include scholarships for underserved
schools, recruitment and retention of a docent base, improvement of existing and creation of additional
curriculum units, fulfillment of administrative duties associated with the 2008-2010 First 5 Fresno (F5F)
Grant, and identification of funding sources to sustain the program beyond the grant period.
Working under the guidance of the Education Director and within the adopted goals, policies and
budget for the River Buddies Program as stipulated in the F5F Grant for the term 2008-2010, the River
Buddies Program Coordinator has the authority to undertake the duties and activities as defined below.
Areas of Responsibility
• Maintain and expand fee-paid programs
• Develop system to administer scholarship programs for underserved schools in Fresno County
• Recruit, train, support and involve River Buddies docents in their role as educators at the River
• Review and improve existing curriculum units to include pre- and/or post-visit activities, in
compliance with F5F Best Practices, and response to teacher feedback
• Create new curriculum units related to River Buddies themes – one per year for the period of
the 2008-2010 F5F Grant
• Develop and prepare publicity and marketing materials
• Fulfill administrative duties associated with the 2008-2010 F5F Grant
• Identify potential funding sources and prepare applications and sponsorship requests with
guidance from the Education Director and Development Director
• Develop partnerships with other community organizations that can assist the Trust in fulfilling its
mission through River Buddies Programs for sustainability
• A minimum of 3 years of related experience in early childhood programs
• Proven success working with the public, of all ages
• Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills
• Mastery of Office 2007 Suite; ability to learn new computer programs as necessary
• Flexible schedule with occasional evening responsibilities
• Valid California driver’s license, insurance and a good driving record
• Bilingual preferred (Spanish-English or Hmong/Lao-English)
This position is grant funded through July 2010 at 30 hours per week with an expectation for sustained
funding through the efforts of the River Buddies Program Coordinator.
Please send letter of interest and résumé to Diadre Metzler at email@example.com
Position open until filled.
The San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust is a 501(c) 3 non-profit founded in 1988 to
preserve and restore San Joaquin River lands of ecological, scenic or historic significance; to educate
the public on the need for stewardship; to research issues affecting the river; and to promote
educational, recreational and agricultural uses consistent with protection of the river’s resources. For
information about the River Parkway Trust, please visit our website at http://www.riverparkway.org.