Bomb Threat Procedures
Grand Rapids Community College
1. Bomb threats generally occur through two methods: a suspicious package or a
communicated threat (phone, e-mail or fax).
2. If you notice a suspicious package, do not touch the object. Proceed immediately to Step
#4 and call Campus Police.
3. If you receive a bomb threat via e-mail or fax, obtain a hard copy of the message (print)
and proceed immediately to Step #4 and call Campus Police.
4. The person receiving a telephone call or voice mail message uses the “Bomb Threat
Check List”. The person should note all vital information as directed on the check list. If
the message was left on voice mail, the person should save the message to share with
5. The person should immediately call Campus Police X4010 . If after normal Campus
Police office hours, the person should follow the procedures to page the officer on duty
and immediately report the call.
6. Campus Police will determine the credibility of the threat with appropriate external
assistance. Campus Police will activate the Crisis Plan.
7. If the threat is deemed credible and a bomb may be inside the building, Campus Police
will assist the building in the evacuation process:
a. Check evacuation routes and evacuation area for unusual objects, which may be a
bomb. Do not touch anything that may be a bomb.
b. Order evacuation through use of the Crisis Response plan. Use of electronic
devices should be minimized during a bomb threat.
c. When evacuating, check visually for unusual objects which may be a bomb, or
anything not recognized as belonging in the surrounding area. Report anything
unusual to Campus Police, but do not touch anything that may be a bomb.
d. Leave the lights on and the doors unlocked.
e. Move to an evacuation area well away from the building. Do not evacuate to any
area where a bomb could be hidden, e.g. the parking lot, or near any object in
which a bomb could be hidden, e.g., a dumpster.
8. Campus Police or local law enforcement will determine the “all clear”.
Bomb Threat Check List
Exact time of call_______________
Exact words of caller_______________________________________________
Questions To Ask
When is the bomb going to explode?__________________________________________
Where is the bomb?______________________________________________________
What does it look like?____________________________________________________
What kind of bomb is it?___________________________________________________
What will cause it to explode?_______________________________________________
Did you place the bomb?___________________________________________________
Where are you calling from?_________________________________________________
What is your address?__________________________________________________
What is your name?____________________________________________________
Callers Voice (circle)
Calm Disguised Nasal Angry Broken
Stutter Slow Sincere Lisp Rapid
Giggling Accent (Type) Deep Crying Squeaky
Excited Stressed Loud Slurred Normal
Language Used (circle)
Foul Irrational Incoherent
Taped Well Spoken Message read by caller
Is the voice familiar?______________Who did it sound like?_______
Voices Street Traffic Trains Animals
Office Machines Music/Television Restaurant Sounds
Quiet Factory Machinery Other