1. What was the capital of the Confederacy? 13. Why was the Confederate money worthless
after the war?
2. What was the capital of the Union?
14. Who was the former slave who became an
3. How did the Confederacy use enslaved
African Americans during the war?
15. Who was the skilled Confederate general
4. What side did African Americans fight on
during the Civil War? 16. Who urged Southerners to accept defeat?
5. How were African Americans discriminated 17. Who was offered command of the Union
against during the Civil War? forces but chose not to fight against
18. Who was the leader of the Army of
6. Who was the African American Union naval Northern Virginia?
captain who became Congressman after the
19. Who was the Union general that defeated
7. How did the war affect family and friends?
20. Who was President of the Confederate
States of America?
8. What happened to the South (ex. Atlanta
and Richmond) during the Civil War?
21. What talked about preserving a
government “of the people, by the people,
and for the people”?
9. What was the major killer during the Civil
22. Who believed the United States was one
10. Who started the American Red Cross?
23. Who wrote the Emancipation
11. During the war who ran businesses, farms, Proclamation?
24. What did the Emancipation Proclamation
12. What happened to the Confederate money do?
after the war?
25. Who was the President of the United States 38. What are border states?
during the Civil War?
39. What are the 4 border states?
26. What event divided the South?
40. Which side supported states rights?
27. What was the turning point of the Civil
41. Which side had manufacturing (industries)?
28. What made freeing the slave the new focus
of the war? 42. Which side believed that states had freely
created and joined the union and could
freely leave it?
29. What event gave the North control of the
43. Which side was urban?
30. What event ended the Civil War?
44. Which side opposed slavery?
31. What was the first major battle of the Civil
War? 45. Which sided was mostly agricultural?
32. What began the Civil War? 46. Which side favored tariffs?
33. What event led to the southern states 47. What side supported the idea of states
seceding from the Union? having the power to declare any national
34. What did the Union do to the southern
ports? 48. What issue increasingly divided the nation
and led to the Civil War?
35. What law allowed for popular sovereignty
to decide the issue of slavery? 49. Why did the South not like tariffs?
36. What called for California to be a free
state? 50. What side believed that the nation was a
union that could not be divided?
37. What law called for Missouri to be a slave
state and Maine to be a free state? 51. What rights were women denied?
52. Who were the 3 suffragist leaders? 66. What territory did the US divide with Great
53. What was the suffrage movement? 67. What was the impact of the Louisiana
Purchase on the US?
54. What was an abolitionist? 68. How did the US get Florida?
55. Who were the abolitionist leaders? 69. What territory was an independent republic
before it was added to the US?
56. What was the effect of the steam 70. What was the idea that expansion was for
locomotive? the good of the country and the right of the
57. Who improved the steamboat?
71. What are the overland trails used to move
58. What increased farmer productivity?
72. What are the economic opportunities that
59. What connected farms in the South to attracted people west?
factories in the North and territories in the
60. What is an inventor?
73. Who helped design Washington D.C.?
61. Who invented the reaper?
74. What are the first 10 amendments called in
62. What is an entrepreneur?
75. What does the Bill of Rights guarantee?
63. What increased the need for more slave
76. What 2 documents was the Bill of Rights
64. Who invented the cotton gin?
65. What did the US get out of the war with 77. What did George Mason write?
78. Who wrote the Virginia Statute of Religious 89. What warned Europe not to interfere in the
Freedom? Western Hemisphere?
79. What was the purpose of the Constitutional 90. Who doubled the size of the US?
91. What doubled the size of the US?
80. What issue was debated by delegates at the
92. Who was the President during the War of
81. How was the new national government
decided to be set up by those at the 93. Who was President when plans were
Constitutional Convention? started for Washington D.C.?
94. What did the US get out of the War of
82. Who was elected President of the 1812?
95. Who was President when the 2 party
83. How many states were needed to ratify the system emerged?
96. Who was President when the Federal court
84. What decided how many votes each state system was established?
had in the Senate and House of
97. Who was President when the Bill of Rights
was added to the Constitution?
85. What replaced the Articles of
98. Who was the only President that wasn’t
86. What did the Constitution establish?
99. What was the first constitution of the
87. What type of government was created that United States?
divided the power between the national
and state governments?
100. What kind of government was
created under the Articles of
88. Who was the President that warned Europe Confederation?
not to interfere in the Western
101. What branches of government were 114. What was the reason for the Boston
not created under the Articles of Tea Party?
115. Who helped the colonist defeat the
102. What couldn’t Congress do under British?
the Articles of Confederation?
116. What allowed the colonist to defeat
103. How many votes did each state get the British?
under the Articles of Confederation?
104. What recognized American
independence? 117. Who warned the colonists of the
105. What ended the Revolutionary war?
118. Who helped gain France’s support
for American independence?
106. What event was held to promote
independence from Great Britain?
119. Who wrote poems and plays about
107. What was the turning point of the
120. Who helped write the Declaration of
108. What event were colonists shot and
killed for taunting British soldiers?
121. Who said “Give me liberty or give
109. What happened on July 4, 1776?
122. Who wrote the Declaration of
110. What was the first armed conflict of Independence?
the Revolutionary war?
123. Who was the commander of the
111. Where did delegates meet to discuss continental army?
problems with England?
124. Who was known as the Champion of
112. What colony did not attend the First Independence?
125. Who surrendered at Yorktown?
113. Who led the Boston Tea Party?
126. Who was the British king during the 137. What geographic feature is found in
Revolutionary war? all 3 colonial regions?
127. What unalienable rights are found in 138. What colonial region has rocky soil
the Declaration of Independence? and a jagged coastline?
139. What colonial region has coastal
128. According to the Declaration of lowlands and rich farmlands?
Independence what is the job of
140. What colonial region is located in
the Atlantic Coastal Plain?
129. Where does government get it
power from? 141. What colonial region has cold
130. What is the right of people to do if
government does not do its job? 142. What colonial region has a humid
131. Whose ideas influenced the 143. What colonial region specialized in
Declaration of Independence? fishing and shipbuilding?
144. What colonial region specialized in
132. What law prohibited the movement livestock and grain?
of settlers west of the Appalachian
145. What colonial region specialized in
cash crops like cotton and tobacco?
133. Who enforced the laws in the
146. Where would find few schools and
134. Who appointed the colonial
147. What colonial region is church the
center of life?
135. Why did England tax the colonies?
148. What colonial region has diversity?
136. Why did England maintain strict
control over colonial trade? 149. Where would you find town
150. Where would you find counties? 162. What was the first permanent
151. Where would find slavery and large
farms? 163. Where did the religious separatist
152. Where would you find market
towns? 164. Where did the Puritans settle?
153. What is specialization? 165. Where did the Quakers settle?
166. What colony was settled by debtors
154. What did the New England colonies wanting economic freedom?
167. Why was Plymouth and
Massachusetts Bay established?
155. What did the Mid-Atlantic colonies
168. Why did the Quakers come to North
156. What did the Southern colonies
specialize in? 169. Who established Jamestown?
170. What colonies were settled for
157. What is interdependence? religious reasons?
158. What did the Southern colonies 171. What colonies were settled for
depend on New England for? economic reasons?
159. What did New England colonies 172. Who relied on slaves and indentured
depend on New England for? servants in the colonies?
173. Who were craftsmen that live in
160. What was the Lost Colony? small towns and plantations?
161. What were the reasons Europeans 174. Who relied on family members for
established colonies? labor in the colonies?
175. Who were caretakers, house 187. Who lived in a rainy, mild climate?
workers, and homemakers?
188. What geographic region did the
176. Who made a contract to work in Lakota live in?
return for passage to the colonies?
189. How did the Indians meet their basic
177. Who were allowed to own land and needs of food, clothing, and shelter?
have economic freedom but could not
178. Who was owned as property for life
with no rights? 190. Where were the Indians located
before the arrival of Europeans?
179. What is archaeology?
191. What are natural resources?
180. Why is archaeology important? 192. How did the Indians use natural
181. Where is one of the oldest 193. What are human resources?
archaeological sites in the United States?
182. Where is Cactus Hill located? 194. How did the Indians use human
183. What was found at Cactus Hill?
195. What are capital resources?
184. What Indian group lived in a freezing
196. How did the Indians use capital
185. What Indian group lived in a desert
197. How did the Indians and Europeans
186. Who lived in a heavily forested cooperate?
198. What created conflict between the 211. What were the problems faced by
Indians and Europeans? explorers?
199. Who believed that land was to be 212. What were the accomplishments of
shared or used but not owned? exploration?
200. Who conquered and enslaved
213. Why were Ghana, Mali, Songhai
201. Who established trading posts? important?
202. Who learned farming techniques 214. Where was Ghana, Mali, and
from the Indians? Songhai located?
203. Who brought diseases to the 215. What did trading with West Africa
Indians? do for Europe?
204. Who claimed the Southwest for
Spain? 216. What did the Portuguese trade with
Ghana, Mali, and Songhai?
205. Who explored eastern Canada?
217. What geographic region has old
206. Who are the 2 French explorers? eroded mountains?
218. What region has hundreds of lakes
207. Who claimed the Mississippi River carved by glaciers?
219. What region has broad lowlands and
208. Who explored West Africa? excellent harbors?
209. Who settled Quebec? 220. What region has fertile valleys?
210. Why did Europeans explore? 221. What region stretches from Alaska
222. What region gradually increases in 235. What provided the French and
elevation westward? Spanish with exploration routes to Mexico?
223. What region has rugged mountains 236. What was the gateway to the west?
along the Pacific Ocean?
237. What forms the border with
224. What region has the oldest Mexico?
mountain range in North America?
238. What was explored by the Spanish?
225. What region has grasslands?
239. What was explored by Lewis and
226. What region contains Death Valley? Clark?
227. Where is the direction of rivers 240. What connects the Great Lakes to
determined? the Atlantic Ocean?
228. What region has many rivers and 241. What are the water features that
grassy hills? can be found on maps, globes, and
229. What is the lowest point in North
242. What are geographic features that
230. What region is wrapped around the can be found on maps, globes, and
Hudson Bay in a horseshoe shape? diagrams?
231. What body of water was an early
243. What role did geographic features
232. What body of water were play throughout history?
transportation arteries for farm and
233. Where are inland port cities
located? 244. What ocean surrounds Antarctica?
234. What was the highway for 245. What is a continent?