East Metro Gas Pipeline Replacement Project
Introduction Our inspections indicate the integrity of our existing
Xcel Energy owns and operates about 11 ½ miles of gas compression-coupled transmission lines is sound. We’ve
transmission line in the cities of St. Paul and Roseville. These lines scheduled the pipeline replacement project to ensure future
are the backbone of the gas delivery system in the East Metro reliability and enable more effective in-line inspections and
area, serving around 100,000 homes and businesses. The existing pressure testing, which aren’t available on the existing lines.
compression-coupled lines were originally installed in the 1940s The East Metro Gas Pipeline Replacement Project Project is
and 1950s. We plan to replace those lines over the next four years reflective of our overall plan to upgrade our energy delivery
to ensure the integrity and reliability of the system. infrastructure across the system, much of which was built
during the post World War II growth boom.
The replacement pipe will contain stronger steel than the pipe Where and when construction will occur
currently in place and new sections will be welded rather than • 2013 – Rice St. & County Rd. B to Park St. & Rose Ave.
coupled. The new lines also will be equipped with provisions to • 2014 – Pleasant Ave. & St. Albans St. to Lexington Pkwy.
enable use of advanced assessment technology to help ensure the & Montreal Avenue
integrity and reliability of the system.
• 2015 – Rose Ave. & Park St. to Pleasant Ave. & St. Albans St.
In addition, remote control valves will be installed to improve • 2016 – Montreal Ave. & Edgcumbe Rd. to Elway St. & Shepard Rd.
gas delivery efficiency—especially during peak use days. The Pleasant Ave & St. Albans St. to Randolph Ave. &
improvement also will give system operators greater capability James Ave.
to isolate a pipeline in the event of an emergency and reduce the
impact on customers.
Cost and schedule
The replacement project represents about a $56.5 million
investment. It will be executed over a four-year period starting
in 2013 with up to 4 1/2 miles of gas main replaced in any given
year. The work is being done in phases from approximately May
through October of each year to complete tie-ins before winter
and avoid gas delivery interruptions during the heating season.
The majority of the work will involve removal of the existing
pipeline and placing the new main in the same trench; however QUESTIONS?
there are a few locations where the new line will be directionally Contact a Community Relations Manager:
drilled and the existing main retired in place. Construction activity If you are a St. Paul property owner contact:
will require some digging in streets, but we will work with local John Marshall 651-229-2230
authorities to minimize traffic interruptions and we will restore If you are a Roseville property owner contact:
affected areas to their original condition. Colette Jurek 651-458-1228
Visit our Website
Go to: About Us/Our Company/Projects and RFPs/East
Metro Gas Pipeline Replacement Project
Park Street Line Route Description
1. Rice Street from County Road B to Larpenteur Ave
2. Larpenteur Ave from Rice St to Albemarle St
3. Albemarle St from Larpenteur Ave to Arlington Ave
4. Arlington Ave from Albemarle St to Sylvan St Larpenteur Ave W
5. Sylvan St from Arlington Ave to Maryland Ave
6. Maryland Ave from Sylvan St to Park St
7. Park St from Maryland Ave to Rose Ave Construction Year:
8. Park St from Rose Ave to Sherburne Ave 2014 Maryland Ave W
9. Sherburne Ave from Capitol Blvd to Saint Albans St 2016
10. St Albans St from Sherburne Ave to Pleasant Ave
Island Line Route Description
1. From Pleasant Ave and St Albans St intersection
to Michigan St and Webster Ave (I35E Crossing)
2. Michigan St from Webster Ave to Duke St University Ave W
3. Duke St from Michigan St to James Ave
4. James Ave from Duke Street to Island Station
Montreal Line Route Description
1. Pleasant Ave from St Albans St to Victoria St
2. Victoria St from Pleasant Ave to Pleasant Ave
3. Pleasant Ave from Victoria St to Chatsworth St
4. Chatsworth St from Pleasant Ave to Armstrong Ave N
5. Armstrong Ave from Chatsworth St to Pleasant Ave
6. Pleasant Ave from Armstrong Ave to mid-block
between Bayard Ave and Scheffer Ave
7. I35E crossing from mid-block between Bayard Ave
and Scheffer Ave to Pleasant Ave and Scheffer Ave
8. Pleasant Ave from Scheffer Ave to Otto Ave 35E
9. Lexington Ave from Otto Ave to Montreal Ave
10. Montreal Ave from Edgcumbe Rd to Elway St
11. Elway St from Montreal Ave to Benson Ave
xcelenergy.com | © 2013 Xcel Energy Inc. | Xcel Energy is a registered trademark of Xcel Energy Inc. | Northern States Power Company-Minnesota, an Xcel Energy Company. | 13-01-026 | 12/2012
Printed on recycled paper.