What is digestion?
• Before our bodies can use the food that
we eat it must first be digested.
• Definition of Digestion:
– See if you can fill in the gaps on your own
• The breakdown of large molecules (food)
into small soluble molecules. This is done
by digestive juices and enzymes. Once
food is digested it can pass through your
gut wall into your blood. Your blood then
carries the digested food all around your
body where it is used for growth,
movement and repairing cells.
How does digestion work?
• Along the pathway through our body our
food is broken down into very small
molecules by digestive juices and
What happens to your food when
• Can you label the
main parts of your
– In table groups see if
you can label the parts
of the digestive system
• Riaz Ahmed Batt
• Upper Primary School Sooli
• Zone Bhagwah
• District Doda
• Jammu & Kashmir!