Please read the article, “Body Ritual Among the Nacirema”. And answer the questions below.
1. Where do the Nacrima live? If you are not sure, just say that.
2. What is the main concept presented in this reading?
3. How could you apply this concept to yourself?
Also, please give a one or two sentence answer to each of these questions related to culture.
4. How are you different because of the culture you were raised in? What did your culture give you?
5. Why is it important to understand people’s cultural differences? How can it help in international and
business relations, or personal relations?
6. If you came to America, how is American culture different from what you expected?
7. What would be an example of “culture shock” that you may have experienced?
8. What T.V. programs, or video games support our cultural values of money, competition, beauty,
youth, individualism and self-expression?
9. What judgments do you make about someone who may have tattoos, piercings, Goth dress and hair
style, or gang symbols (e.g. MS13) that may indicate they are in a subculture or counterculture you are
not part of? How did you make these judgments?
10. Should a culture ever make a decision not to use technology, such as cloning or electronic
11. How does culture support inequality?
12. Do you see evidence of a global culture emerging? If so, is this good or bad? What is gained and
what is lost?