Greek God of Wine and Festivity
One of the twelve Olympians.
• The son of Zeus and Semele.
• Commonly known by his Roman name Bacchus.
• Only god to have a mortal parent.
• Spread the art of tending grapes around the
• Had a dual nature. Joy and divine ecstasy to
thoughtlessness and rage.
• Granted Midas the power to turn whatever he
touched into gold, “Midas touch”.
Birth of Dionysus
• Semele was pleased to be a lover of a god.
• Hera was insanely jealous of Semele.
• Semele insisted to see Zeus’s true form.
• Zeus was furious but madly in love.
• Zeus appeared flashing lightning and thunder.
• Semele was instantly burnt to death.
• Hermes rescued Dionysus and stitched the
premature baby into the thigh of Zeus.
• Dionysus brought Semele from the underworld
and ascended to Mt. Olympus with his mother.