Deer Regs 08indd

Document Sample
Deer Regs 08indd Powered By Docstoc
					No person may hunt deer in the State Parks listed below during the open deer hunting season in that park, without first obtaining a State Park Deer Hunting Permit Note: Permits and maps are available at the State Park office and all DNR Service Centers within the CWD Zone. Vehicle Admission Stickers are still required.

State-Owned & Managed Lands (Including State Forests)
Unlimited EAB regulations apply.* Unlimited EAB regulations apply.*


* Scope restriction does not apply to muzzleloader hunting in this state park.

Belmont Mound, Mirror Lake, Nov. 22 –Dec. 10 Natural Bridge (70F), Rocky Arbor, Cadiz Grounds, New Glarus Woods, Yellowstone Dec. 11–14 (75B), and Devil’s Lake State Parks. Dec. 15–Jan. 4

CWD Zone State Park Deer Hunting

Blue Mound (70D), Governor Dodge (70C), & Tower Hill State Parks

It is illegal to: • hunt or possess any firearm or bow in any wildlife refuge or possess any firearm, air gun, slingshot or bow in any state park, state fish hatchery, or within 100 yards of any state campground or picnic area (except as posted open to deer or small game hunting) unless it is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case, or in the case of a bow/crossbow, unstrung or enclosed within a carrying case. • pursue, drive or chase animals on lands under the ownership or control of the DNR that are closed to hunting. • build or use a ground blind or any elevated device on lands owned or under the control of the DNR unless it does not damage the tree and it is completely removed from the property each day at the close of hunting hours. This also includes lands enrolled in the Managed Forest Law (MFL) and Forest Crop Law (FCL) programs, however this does not apply to the owners of land enrolled in the program or those who have the landowner’s authorization. All tree stands and ground blinds that are not occupied shall have the owner’s customer ID number or name and address attached in a manner that is visible and legible to a person on the ground. Note: Ground blinds may be constructed entirely of dead vegetation found on the property and do not need to be removed from the property each day. • New in 2008, it is illegal to use a ground blind on lands owned or under the control of the DNR during any open season or special hunt for hunting deer with firearms unless the outside of the blind displays a minimum of 144 square inches of material that is solid highly visible color commonly referred to as blaze orange, or florescent blaze orange, that is visible 360 degrees around the blind. Note: Blinds used for waterfowl hunting are exempt from this rule. • damage trees on state-owned lands including MFL and FCL lands. • possess any loaded or uncased firearm or air gun while within the exterior boundary of state-owned lands posted with department signs in Dane, Dodge, Fond du Lac, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, La Crosse, Milwaukee, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Racine, Sauk, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha and Winnebago counties or on state forest lands in the Kettle Moraine or Point Beach state forests, state recreation areas or on state trails established on abandoned railroad grades, except as follows: 1. while engaged in hunting in accordance with the open seasons listed in this pamphlet or the small game or migratory bird regulation pamphlets. 2. while shooting at an established target range (this is the only target shooting permitted on state lands). • operate any vehicle, including, but not limited to, snowmobiles, bicycles, trail bikes, and all terrain vehicles on lands owned or under the control of the DNR, except where their use is authorized by posted notice or permit or in the case of Managed Forest Law and Forest Crop Law lands, authorization of the landowner. This prohibition does not apply to public roadways and trails held open to the public for the type of vehicle being operated. • camp on any state lands except in designated campgrounds unless a special camp registration permit is obtained from the DNR prior to setting up camp.

Muzzleloader Harvest Limit

Dec.1– Dec. 10

Unlimited EAB regulations apply

Unlimited EAB regulations apply Nov. 22–30 Unlimited EAB regulations apply Antlerless Only Dec. 11–14

Antlerless Only

Antlerless Only

Dec. 1– Dec. 10 Oct. 16–19 (hunting hours end at 12 noon) Dec. 11–14 Antlerless Only Unlimited EAB regulations apply Oct. 16–19 (hunting hours end at 12 noon) Oct. 20– Dec. 10 Dec. 15–Jan. 4 Unlimited EAB regulations apply Antlerless Only Dec. 11–14 Antlerless Only

State Parks Within the CWD Management Zone Archery Gun Harvest Limit Dates Harvest Limit

Dates Oct. 16–19 (hunting hours end at 12 noon) Unlimited EAB regulations apply



Antlerless Only

Nov. 22–30


Federal Lands
Portions of National Forests, National Wildlife Refuges (NWR) and Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA) are open to hunting and trapping in accordance with state and federal regulations. Federal regulations will vary. In order to avoid violating federal regulations contact the office of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, NWR or WPA you will be hunting at to get regulations specific to that property. Additional information may be obtained from the Web at Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest information: Headquarters Offices–Park Falls: 715-762-2461, TTY 715-762-5701 and Rhinelander: 715-362-1300, TTY 715-362-1383. Additional information and regulations may be found on the web at www.fs.fed. us/r9/cnnf/. Horicon NWR—Mayville, WI 920-387-2658 Fox River NWR—(Marquette County) contact the Horicon office 920-387-2658 Necedah NWR—Necedah, WI 608-565-2551 Trempealeau NWR—Trempealeau, WI 608-539-2311 Whittlesey Creek NWR—Ashland, WI 715-685-2678 Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge (UMRNWFR)— Winona, MN 507-452-4232 Leopold Wetland Management District (WMD)—Portage, WI 608-742-7100 Contact this office for information regarding WPAs in the southeast. St. Croix WMD—New Richmond, WI 715-246-7784 Contact this office for information regarding WPAs in the northwest.

Special Hunts
Many of the deadlines for special hunts occur prior to the publication of this pamphlet. If you are interested in these hunts, note the deadlines for 2008. Two-day Youth Gun Deer Hunt–October 11 and 12 • Open to persons 12–15 years of age (resident or non-resident) who possess a Wisconsin Hunter Education certificate of accomplishment (or similar certificate recognized by the Department from another state, province or country) and a Gun Deer License. • Earn-A-Buck restrictions do not apply statewide during the October 11 and 12 Youth Gun Deer hunt. • The bag limit is one buck with a Gun Buck Deer Carcass Tag plus additional antlerless deer per Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag valid for the Deer Management Unit youth is hunting (this also applies to CWD units). • May harvest a deer in any DMU statewide (including those portions west of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad that are not posted closed to hunting) except state park and non-quota units. • Allowable types of firearms are those authorized for the November gun deer season. • Adults may not gun deer hunt during the two-day Youth Gun Deer Hunt. • Youth hunters must be accompanied* by a parent or guardian (at least18 years of age) even if the youth is 14 or 15 and holds a Hunter Education Certificate. * Accompanied means within visual and voice contact without the aid of any mechanical or electronic amplifying device. • One adult may not accompany more than two youth hunters and all other hunting regulations apply, including blaze orange clothing requirements for all hunters, except waterfowl hunters. Educational Hunts: • Buckhorn State Park and Wildlife Area: Deer hunting is offered to youth 12–17 years old who complete a “Learn to Hunt Workshop.” For applications and information regarding dates and fees, write or call Buckhorn State Park at W8450 Buckhorn Park Avenue, Necedah, WI 54646-7338; Phone 608-565-2789. Applications for 2009 are due July 15, 2009. • Sandhill Outdoor Skills Center: Deer hunting is offered to youth and beginner adults who complete a “ Learn to Deer Hunt Workshop.” For dates and fees, write or call the Center at Box 156, Babcock, WI 54413; 715-884-2437. Applications for 2009 are due May 31, 2009. Disabled Deer Hunts: Oct. 4–Oct. 12, 2008. Interested disabled hunters who wish to participate in 2008, should contact the nearest DNR Service Center or disabled deer hunt sponsor before September 1st. The disabled deer hunt is available to disabled hunters who hold a Class A or C disabled permit; or a Class B permit issued for longer than one year and authorizes hunting or shooting from a stationary vehicle. People who wish to sponsor a deer hunt in 2009 must submit an application to their local wildlife manager by June 1, 2009. A list of sponsors can be found at Badger Army Ammunition Plant: For hunting information send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Hunting Program, Badger Army Ammunition Plant, 2 Badger Road, Baraboo, WI 53910-5000. Website: Volk Field Military Facility/Deer Hunting: For hunting information send a selfaddressed, stamped business envelope (8 3/4" x 3 3/4") to: Attn: Natural Resources Management, Volk Field ANGB, 100 Independence Dr., Camp Douglas, WI 546185001. Website: 37

National Wildlife Refuge and Waterfowl Production Area Regulations
The following is a partial list of general NWR and WPA regulations. Be sure to check with the property you will be hunting on for complete regulations. Additional federal regulations may be listed elsewhere in this pamphlet. It is illegal to: • Possess any firearm, bow, or other weapons unless engaged in legal hunting. Note: Concealed weapons, including those approved by permit, are illegal anytime. • Build or use a ground blind or any elevated device, unless it does not damage the tree (i.e. no use of screws, nails, etc.) and it is completely removed each day at the close of hunting hours. • Construct permanent blinds out of manmade materials. Note: Portable blinds constructed of manmade materials are allowed, but must be removed each day at the close of hunting hours. • Possess alcoholic beverages while hunting. • Camp, horseback ride, have overnight use or campfires on WPAs. • Shine wild animals at any time. • Hunt with the use of any type of bait, including salt or mineral blocks.

Tribal Lands
Special rules apply on tribal lands in portions or all of Ashland, Bayfield, Forest, Iron, Menominee, Oneida, Sawyer, and Vilas counties. For more information, contact the tribal chairpersons.


Fort McCoy Military Reservation: Hunting information can be found under Recreation Opportunities at or by calling the Permit Sales Office at 608-388-3337. Apostle Islands (Deer Management Unit 79): Permits are required to participate in the Oct. 1–31 muzzleloader season and the archery season on Sept. 13–30 and Nov. 1–Jan. 4. Permit applications are accepted between June 15 and July 15. Contact the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore for application forms and further information through email:; writing: Superintendent, Apostle Islands National Lake Shore, Rt. 1, Box 4, Bayfield, WI 54814; or by phone: 715-779-3397. Madeline and Long Islands are open to regular statewide seasons. Hunting on School Forest Land: A school board may decide to allow hunting for game in its school forest consistent with the open and closed season for game on adjacent land.

Private Lands continued
landowner is requesting the free tag. If there are joint owners or vendee names under a land contract, only one of the owners is eligible for the free Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag. Managed Forest Lands: Landowners enrolled in either the Forest Crop Law or the Managed Forest Law programs are not required to remove elevated tree stands daily (from land they own as long as no damage is done to the tree). This exception can also be granted to other individuals using the landowner’s property with the landowner’s prior permission. In addition, owners of land enrolled in these programs and individuals authorized by the landowner can operate vehicles and park on these lands.

Baiting and Feeding Deer
The following regulations pertaining to baiting and feeding are divided into two parts of the state—those counties where baiting and feeding deer is prohibited, and those areas where baiting and feeding of deer is allowed with a 2 gallon limit.

Private Lands and Landowner Information
License Requirements: A landowner is required to have a license to hunt deer. Liability: Under sec. 895.52 of the Wisconsin Statutes, landowners are generally immune from liability for injuries received by individuals recreating on their lands. This law provides liability protection for landowners from injury or death of individuals occurring when participating in outdoor recreation activities on their land such as fishing, hunting, trapping, hiking, camping, boating and berry picking. This immunity does not apply when the landowner receives more than $2,000 a year income from the recreation activity or when the landowner acted maliciously with an intent to harm the recreator. There also is an exception for social guests invited specifically for an occasion on residential or platted property or property within 300 feet of a commercial building or structure. Courts have consistently interpreted this statute to protect landowners in furtherance of its purpose, to encourage landowners to allow others to recreate on their lands. Trespassing: Landowners suspecting that individuals are trespassing on their property should contact their local Sheriff’s Department or other local law enforcement agency. Conservation Wardens do not have the authority to investigate trespassing complaints. Any person convicted of trespassing is subject to a penalty of up to $1,383. According to s. 943.13, of the Wisconsin Statutes, it is illegal to: • enter land of another without the express or implied consent of the owner or occupant of the land, or • enter or remain on land after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain. A person has received notice from the owner or occupant if he or she has been notified personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is posted. Remember: Although hunters are required to make a reasonable effort to retrieve game they have killed or injured, hunters may not trespass to retrieve such game, even if the game was shot from outside the posted area. Ask first for permission. Farmer Antlerless Deer Carcass Tags: Eligible resident farm owners can receive one free Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag for each Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag they purchase in units that have carcass tags available beginning at noon on August 23. To qualify, a majority of the land on the farm must be used on a commercial basis and for an agricultural purpose to provide income during the year that the permit is valid. In addition, the farm must be located in whole or partially in the DMU for which the 38

Counties where baiting is NOT allowed
Placing bait for hunting purposes is prohibited in the following counties: Adams, Calumet, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Grant, Green, Iowa, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, Lafayette, Manitowoc, Marquette, Milwaukee, Portage, Racine, Richland, Rock, Sauk, Sheboygan, Vernon, Walworth, Waukesha, and Waushara Counties. In these counties, no person may place, use or hunt over bait or feed material for the purpose of hunting deer.







Allowed Not Allowed















Scents: Scent may be used for hunting deer, but the scent may not be placed or deposited in a manner that it is accessible for consumption by deer, and scents shall be removed daily at the end of hunting hours. However, two ounces or less of scent may be placed, used or deposited in any manner for hunting deer and does not need to be removed daily at the end of hunting hours. Natural Vegetation and Plantings: You may hunt with the aid of material deposited by natural vegetation or material found solely as a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices, or with the aid of crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots.

Counties where feeding deer is allowed
In counties where it is legal to bait deer for hunting, it is also legal to feed deer for recreational viewing. However, in the rest of the state where baiting and feeding deer is allowed, the following regulations apply: • Each owner-occupied residence or business open to the public may place out no more than 2 gallons of feed. • The feed must be located within 50 yards of an owner-occupied residence or a business open to the public. • The feed may not be located within 100 yards of a roadway with a posted speed limit of 45 MPH or more. • It is illegal to use a feeder that replenishes or distributes food automatically, mechanically, or by means of gravity (i.e. automated feeders). Owner-occupied residence means a dwelling devoted to human occupancy that is used as a residence by the owner, members of the owner’s immediate family, or when used as a residence by individuals as a rental property. When a residence is not being used as a residence it is not legal to feed deer there. Business open to the public means a business building that allows the general public to enter and access the building. New in 2008, it is illegal to place feed at a deer feeding site that the person knows is being used by bear and elk. If the owner of the residence or business is notified by the department or otherwise becomes aware that bear or elk have been using a deer feeding site, the owner must discontinue feeding for a period of not less than 30 days. Note: It is not legal to feed deer, even for recreational viewing purposes, in counties where baiting deer is prohibited.

Counties where baiting deer is allowed
In the remainder of the state (except for U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lands), baiting for deer hunting purposes is allowed only under the following conditions: Amount: Each hunter may place up to 2 gallons of bait for each property under the same ownership regardless of the size of the property. If the property is larger than 40 acres, then each hunter may place an additional 2 gallons of bait for each additional full 40 acres of contiguous land under the same ownership if the bait sites are at least 100 yards away from any other bait site (parcels of land that do not touch but are separated only by a town, county or state highway are considered contiguous). Note: Bait may be spread out or divided into more than one pile as long as the total amount of bait or feed material is not more than 2 gallons per 40 acres or less. Placement: • No baiting site may be closer than 100 yards of another baiting site. • The hunter does not hunt within 100 yards of more than 2 gallons of bait on the same parcel of land. • The baiting site is not located within 50 yards of any trail, road, or campsite used by the public, or within 100 yards from a roadway having a posted speed limit of 45 mph or more. Note: Removal of unlawfully placed bait or feed material does not preclude the issuance of a citation for the original placement of the unlawful baiting or feeding material. Timing: No person may: • Place, use or hunt over bait or feed for hunting purposes during the closed season for hunting deer, but may start to place bait for deer hunting the day before the opening day of the deer archery season. This means the 24-hour period from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm on the day immediately before the season. • Hunt over bait or a feeding site that is in violation of these regulations, unless the area is completely free of bait or feed material for at least 10 consecutive days prior to hunting, pursuing animals or dog training. Content: No person may place, use or hunt over any bait or feed material that: • Contains any animal part or animal by-product. Note: Animal parts and by-products include honey, bones, fish, meat, solid animal fat, animal carcasses, or parts of animal carcasses but does not include liquid scents. • Is contained in or deposited by a feeder that is designed to deposit or replenish feed automatically, mechanically, or by gravity. • Contains or is contained within, metal, paper, plastic, glass, wood or other similar processed materials. This does not apply to scent materials. License: No person may use or hunt over bait or feed material placed for deer without possessing an appropriate valid Archery or Gun Deer License and valid, unused carcass tag. 40

Finding Public Land Open to Hunting
The DNR website provides detailed maps showing public lands in your area. Go to and click on the Hunting link. On the left side of the screen under “Hunting Opportunities” click on Wildlife Recreation Lands to select your region. For even more detailed boundary lines, use the interactive Web Mapping Tool found on that page.

Ask First and Say Thanks!
Wisconsin landowners appreciate those people who ask permission to hunt and say thanks afterward. This builds important landowner-hunter trust. Remember, entering private lands without permission is illegal and creates a negative image for all hunters.


Baiting and Feeding Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is considered bait? Bait is any material that is placed or used to attract wild animals, including scent materials, salt, minerals, grains, etc. Water is not considered bait. What is considered a scent material? Scent is any material, except animal parts or by-products, used to attract wild animals solely by its odor. Are there any restrictions on scent material? The following rules apply statewide: • Up to 2 ounces of scent (liquid or solid) may be placed or used in any manner (on the ground, scrapes, branches, etc.) • Any scent material over 2 ounces must not be accessible to deer and must be removed daily at the end of hunting hours for deer. • Honey and solid animal parts or animal by-products may not be used as scent. In areas where deer baiting is not allowed, what CAN I USE to attract deer closer to my stand if I can’t use bait? Use of the following are legal statewide: • Decoys • Scents • Naturally occurring material (such as acorns), deposited by natural vegetation, that is not collected and relocated in any manner. • Crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots. • Material deposited solely as a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices and not collected and relocated for hunting or other purposes. Can I still place out salt or mineral blocks or similar material? In counties where baiting and feeding of deer is prohibited, no. These materials are considered bait and are not legal. In the remainder of the state, you may only place these materials during the open seasons for deer hunting, and may not exceed the 2 gallon limit per bait site per 40 acres. Can I use an automatic, mechanical or gravity feeder to bait or feed deer? No. It is not legal to use these types of feeders for baiting deer for hunting or for feeding wild deer for viewing purposes. Does the 2 gallons per 40 acres also apply to public land? Yes. If a hunter wants to place more than 2 gallons of bait, or more than one bait site on any public hunting land, then the hunter will need to make sure that each bait site does not exceed 2 gallons and they do not place more than 2 gallons for each 40 acres of public land that is contiguous, and that each site is more than 100 yards from any other bait site placed by them or another. What if my neighbor has a bait site on his property that is less than 100 yards from my stand where I want to place a bait site? The 100 yard rule does not apply to bait sites that are located on an adjacent property which has a different owner. Where you place your bait site on your land is not affected or restricted by where a neighbor places their bait site, on their land.

If there are 4 members in my hunting party, can we each place 2 gallons of bait? Yes, but each bait site must be at least 100 yards apart and the hunters may not hunt within 100 yards of more than one site (or 2 gallons of bait) at a time. So, if more than one hunter will be placing a bait site on the same property, the hunters may not hunt from any location that allows them to use more than 2 gallons or be within 100 yards of more than one bait site. Hunting halfway between 2 bait sites located less than 200 yards apart is not legal. Keeping all bait sites at least 200 yards apart will eliminate the risk of violating the hunting within 100 yards of more than one bait site restriction. I have more than one stand on my 40 acres. Can I maintain a bait site at each location for myself, or for other hunters? Provided all of the bait sites combined do not contain more than 2 gallons total, yes; however, no one, including family members, may place out another hunter’s bait and their own if the total they place out is more than 2 gallons. Can I hunt over someone else’s bait site? Can someone else hunt over my bait site? Yes. If it is a legally placed bait site, there is no restriction on how many hunters use that one bait site. This applies to both public and private lands. Placing a bait site out on public lands does not reserve that area for the exclusive use of the hunter who places the bait. If I own or hunt on a 50 acre or larger parcel, how many bait sites can I have? Only 2 gallons may be placed by each hunter on any property less than 80 acres in size. Each hunter may place up to 2 gallons of bait for each property under the same ownership regardless of the size of the property. If the property is larger than 80 acres, then each hunter may place an additional 2 gallons of bait for each additional full 40 acres of contiguous land under the same ownership if the bait sites are at least 100 yards away from any other bait site. Note: 1. Hunters that only plan to place one bait site for hunting purposes do not need to worry about how many acres they own or have permission to hunt on. 2. Hunters that plan to place more than one bait site for hunting purposes will need to be familiar with the location and boundaries of the property they will be hunting and baiting. If I only hunt deer during the firearm season and do not bow hunt, when can I start baiting for deer? Placement of bait for deer hunting can be done during any open season for deer hunting and the day before the season opens. So, the day before the archery deer season opens is the first day you may begin to place out bait for deer, and all baiting for deer must stop when all the deer seasons have closed for that area. What is the penalty for illegal placement or use of bait material? A bond amount for a citation issued for illegal bait or baiting is currently set at $530. The maximum penalty which can be imposed by the court is $2,138 and loss of all hunting, trapping and fishing privileges for up to 3 years. The penalty for the illegal feeding of wildlife is $329. For more information, including graphics of legal baiting and feeding activities, go to:



Shared By: