Why are rivers important?
• Boats travel on rivers to move supplies and
• Rivers are habitats for many animals.
• People use rivers for fun: fishing, swimming,
• Some rivers help make electricity.
• Rivers are a source of water for homes.
• In the past, people living near rivers used the
water for drinking, cooking, washing clothes,
taking baths, and watering plants.
What is a river system?
River systems are all of the rivers
that flow into a larger river.
How do we know where a river is
on a map?
South Carolina has four main
• river—a body of water
• basin—land surrounding each river system
• tributary—rivers that empty into other rivers
• Pee Dee