Brain scan is an interactive quiz for use as
a revision/ learning reinforcement tool that
accompanies the theory package.
To answer a question click the mouse on
the gold diamond shapes.
To return to the questions from an answer
slide click anywhere.
To progress click on ‘next question’.
1. The Femur is found in which area of the body? QUESTION
A. The arm. C. The leg.
B. The spine. D. The pelvis.
2. What are the functions of the skeleton? QUESTION
A. Support, protection, C. Subterfuge, protection,
movement, blood production, movement, blood production,
mineral storage. mineral storage.
B. Support, production, D. Support, protection,
movement, blood infusion, mastication, blood production,
mineral storage. mineral storage.
3. Our skeleton is divided into 2 parts - what QUESTION
are they called?
A. Axis & suppendicular. C. Axial & appendicular.
B. Axial & central. D. Axis & appendicular.
4. There are 4 types of bone. What are they? QUESTION
A. Long, short, broad, C. Irregular, round, long,
B. Short, flat, long & D. Soft, strong & very long.
5. Our skeleton does what job for us? QUESTION
A. Helps us lift things. C. Helps us make skin.
B. Helps us to breathe. D. Helps us have shape.
6. How many bones are there in the body? QUESTION
A. 309. C. 307.
B. 106. D. 206.
7. The Patella is another name for what? QUESTION
A. Toes. C. Knee cap.
B. Fingers. D. Spine.
8. What are the irregular bones in the spine QUESTION
A. Verticals. C. Invertebrae.
B. Vertebras. D. Vertebrae.
9. What are Tarsals? QUESTION
A. Bones in the feet. C. Bones in the hands.
B. Bones in the skull. D. Bones in the legs.
10. Why do vertebrae have a hole through them?
A. To accommodate the
spinal chord. C. To enable us to see.
D. To squeeze the muscles
B. To help us breathe.
in the spine.
Name 5 bones in the body.
Which part of the bones make red blood cells & which
type of bones contain this substance?
What are the functions of the axial & appendicular areas
of the skeleton?
The Patella is also called the knee cap. What are the
common names for other bones?
The spine is divided into sections. How many are there
& what are they called?
Which substance separates our vertebrae to allow
movement & protection?
1. Give 4 functions of the skeleton. (4 marks)
2. What is the longest bone in the body? (1 mark)
3. There are 4 basic types of bone in the body. State where in the body you
would find an example of the following; Long, short, flat, irregular.
4. What is the skeleton made up of? (1 mark)
5. What mineral must be present in the diet to make sure that the skeleton
is rigid? (1 mark)
6. Name 1 bone in the leg. (1 mark)
7. Name 1 bone in the arm. (1 mark)
8. Give another name for the knee cap. (1 mark)
9. In which part of the body is the tibia? (1 mark)
Cranium, atlas, axis, vertebrae, clavicle, scapula, rib, humerous,
radius, ulna, pelvis, sternum, carpals, metacarpals, phalanges,
femur, patella, tibia, fibula, tarsals, metatarsals.
The red marrow found in the long bones such as the femur.
The axial skeleton protect the organs while the appendicular part
Cranium-skull, clavicle-collar bone, scapula-shoulder blade,
humerous-funny bone, pelvis-hips, femur-thigh bone, tibia-shin,
There are 5 areas of the spine - Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacral,
Vertebral disks made of cartilage.
1. Movement, support, protection, blood production, mineral storage.
2. The femur/thigh bone.
3. Long - thigh, lower leg, lower & upper arm. Short - fingers, ribs, feet.
Flat - skull, shoulder blade, pelvis Irregular - spine, knee cap, sternum.
6. Femur, tibia, fibula, patella.
7. Radius, ulna, humerus.
8. The patella.
9. The lower leg.