Elmwood School - Academic Fact Sheet
• Throughout the school, Elmwood’s curriculum exceeds the expectations of the
• Elmwood’s academic program is more rigorously evaluated than any other Saumya Saxena
school in Ottawa. Our standards are regularly and thoroughly evaluated by the
International Baccalaureate Programme, the Ontario Ministry of Education as
well as the Canadian Educational Standards Institute.
• Elmwood’s academic program continues to surpass the expectations of each of
our regulatory bodies.
• 100% of Elmwood graduates go on to university.
• 95% of our 2009 graduates were admitted to their ﬁrst choice university; 88%
to the program of their choice.
• Each year, 80% of our graduates are o ered university entrance scholarships.
Saumya Saxena was consistently one of the
• In 2009, our class of 42 graduates were o ered over $950,000 in scholarship top students in her class, graduating from
awards. Elmwood with an average of 97%. Saumya
• The largest single scholarship awarded in 2009 was $125,000 US, an additional chose to apply to the University of Western
$25,000 was awarded because the student completed her IB diploma. Ontario’s Bachelor of Health Sciences
(BHSc) combined with Honors Business
• Other prestigious scholarships and awards were earned by Elmwood graduates, Administration (HBA) from the Richard Ivey
including two National Excellence Awards from the Canada Millennium School of Business. Saumya also received a
Scholarship Foundation, the Greville Smith Scholarship from McGill, the substantial scholarship, the President’s
Undergraduate Research Scholarship from the University of Ottawa Faculty of Entrance Scholarship. This national award
Science, and the St. Lawrence University Sesquicentennial Scholar. recognizes all-around excellence and ability
for creative and innovative thought and is
o ered to only 11 students across Canada.
Beyond the classroom at Elmwood, Saumya
• More than 50% of Elmwood’s graduates go on to study math, science and
was involved in a wide range of activities,
engineering at university. This is statistically signiﬁcant considering that
clubs and groups. She was the editor-in-
although women now account for a signiﬁcant majority of undergraduate
chief of the yearbook, and also took part in
students at Canadian universities, female enrollment in engineering, math and
the Model United Nations, Envirothon,
science faculties has never exceeded 20%. Many of our graduates go on to
Elmwood Theatre, Cappies and wrote for
study medicine or related ﬁelds following their undergraduate studies.
the Tartan Tattler. She was awarded the
! Ten of our 2009 graduates are studying Science at university, six are Elmwood Golden “E” award for school
studying Health Sciences, three in Engineering and one each in involvement. Additionally, Saumya was the
Computer Science and General Arts and Science. Our remaining ten chief organizer for our 2008 International
graduates are studying a variety of arts programs. Night fundraiser—a multidisciplinary
celebration of culture and diversity.
• Elmwood graduates attend world-class universities around the globe.
Currently, we have graduates studying at University of Oxford, Imperial College
London, the London School of Economics, University of St Andrew’s, Exeter
University, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dartmouth College, St.
Lawrence University and the University of Rochester.
Graduate Destinations Continued...
• Our graduates also attend the top universities in Canada including McGill
University, Queen's University, University of Toronto, University of Western
Ontario, Bishop's University, Acadia University, Mount Allison University,
University of Ottawa, University of Waterloo, St Francis Xavier University,
University of Alberta, University of Calgary, and University of British Columbia
among many others.
IB Diploma Achievement
• The IB Diploma is internationally recognized and externally assessed.
• Elmwood’s IB Diploma pass rate: 100%; Canadian average: 96%; US average:
• Elmwood’s IB Diploma average 32; World average 29.5; US average 27
• Elmwood’s Mean Subject Grade: 5.13 (a score of 5 is the equivalent of 80-89%);
World Mean Subject Grade: 4.66
Genevieve excelled in Elmwood’s
Grading System environment. She joined the school in Grade
7 and went on to pursue the full
International Baccalaureate Diploma. She is
! In Ontario, the complete mark range is 0 to 100 percent, with a passing mark
currently studying Chemical Engineering at
set at 50 percent. Honours level marks are 80 percent and above. The
the University of Rochester, a Tier 1
recommended university minimum range is 65 to 70 percent. university and ranked as one of the best
universities in America in the US News 2010
Graduating Class Grade Distribution 2008-2009 ‘Best Colleges’ ranking. She received the
Dean’s Scholarship and an IB scholarship. A
0 3 6 9 12 15 talented opera singer, Genevieve has also
auditioned for and been accepted to the
A+ (90-100%) Eastman School of Music, a nationally
While at Elmwood, Genevieve was
recognized for her excellent academic
B+ (77-79%) achievement, as well as her consistent
demonstration the qualities of character and
B (74-76%) citizenship. Fully involved in school life, she
exempliﬁed Elmwood's traditions and values
and was voted Admissions Prefect by her
peers. She was also one of ﬁfty international
As you can see more than three quarters of our 2009 graduating class were A students. students and the only Canadian selected to
No students in our graduating class obtained grades below a B level. This trend holds participate in the People to People Peace
true year on year. Camp in Egypt. While at Elmwood she also
completed her Duke of Edinburgh Bronze,
Silver and Gold Awards.
We are proud of our graduates' achievements and our strong track record of academic