Docstoc

FRAMINGHAM STATE COLLEGE

Document Sample
FRAMINGHAM STATE COLLEGE Powered By Docstoc
					Framingham State College Division of Graduate and Continuing Education Course Syllabus Course Information Course Title: Hydration and Beverages Instructor: Kendrin Sonneville, MS, RD, LDN Course Credit One graduate credit Course Description An overview of hydration including basic requirements for children and adolescents, and hydration needs for student athletes. Topics addressed in the course include: the current beverage environment; common ingredients and additives; beverage guidelines for schools; and the role of beverage marketing and beverages in the school environment. Course Objectives Students will be able to quantify basic hydration needs for children and adolescents and additional requirements for exercise/strenuous activity Students will be able to compare and contrast beverage guidelines and recommendations. Using information and guidelines presented, students will be able to critically evaluate popular beverage products (sports/energy drinks, vitamin water, juices with added nutrients/antioxidants) to determine their relative nutritional value and will recognize how manufacturers have marketed these beverages to kids and teens in order to help them become wise consumers of media and advertising Students will identify simple strategies that can be used in schools to improve access to nutritious beverages while limiting access to sugar sweetened and caffeinated beverages Course Expectations Students are expected to finish weekly readings and participate in weekly discussion boards on topics that relate to the readings. Homework assignments are due at the end of each of the four weeks. Course Content/Outline Week 1: An introduction to hydration The “8 glasses per day” myth Maintenance fluids IOM/NAS recommendations Dehydration signs/symptoms/consequences Week 2: Hydration for sports and exercise

ACSM position stand Hydration during exercise Fluid replacement Sports drinks Week 3: Beverages, the beverage industry, and marketing Overview of common ingredients (sugar, caffeine, nutrients/antioxidants, and electrolytes) Marketing to children The Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative The Beverage industry (Gatorade Sports Science Institute and The Beverage Institute for Health and Wellness) Week 4: Beverages in the school environment Pouring contracts School Beverage Guidelines Alliance for a Healthier Generation Course Texts and Materials There are no required text books for this course. Weekly readings will be available via the Internet or for download. Required readings include: Alliance for a Healthier Generation School Beverage Policy (2006). http://epsl.asu.edu/ceru/Articles/CERU-0605-180-OWI.pdf Almeling, DS. The Problems of Pouring-Rights Contracts (2004). Duke Law Journal. American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand: Exercise and Fluid Replacement (2007). Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. http://www.acsmmsse.org/pt/pt-core/template-journal/msse/media/0207.pdf Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Overview of the IOM Report on Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity? (2005). http://iom.edu/Object.File/Master/31/337/KFM%20Overview.final.2-9-06.pdf Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). Dehydration (2007). http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/dehydration/DS00561/METHOD=print&DSECTIO N=all Valtin, H. “Drink at least eight glasses of water a day.” Really? Is there scientific evidence for “8X8”? (2002). American Journal of Physiology.

Grading Class participation (assessed through weekly discussion board participation) is worth 20% of the final grade. The four homework assignments make up the remaining 80% (each worth 20%).


				
DOCUMENT INFO