VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 2 POSTED ON: 4/22/2013
(3) the RAILWAY HERITAGE AREA ~ showingCityexisting and former structures Museum’s Heritage Map The Museum Development Zone 12 4 Museum Heritage after Sir William Cornelius Van Horne, who was responsible - a preserved railway heritage area - Location Map Location for completing the first transcontinental railway across Canada in 1886 - the Canadian Pacific Railway. He visited Cranbrook * A 1.4 kilometre tract of land was assembled by the CPR ROUND HOUSE in 1898 when the Crowsnest branch had just been completed KING ST. City between 1987 and 1999 for the development of & TURNTABLE from Lethbridge, Alberta through Cranbrook to Kootenay the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel, the preservation Lake. of surviving railway heritage infrastructure and potential A Crowsnest Highway 3 Historic Plaque about Cranbrook's new appropriate businesses. 1898 Railway Divsional status is located here. Jim Creek runs Canadian Pacific R * The zone contains the new and former sites of the Railway Museum, several railway heritage landmarks ailway RAILWAY YARDS through Elizabeth Lake (Wildlife Refuge - Ducks Unlim- ited) then under the highway to the south end of the Railway from early Cranbrook in 1898, including buildings, struc- historic zone and under the Prestige Hotel. It emerges into 1. RAILWAY HERITAGE ARE tures, parks & gardens. this park, but again runs under the downtown area to Joseph's A * It is located on a high profile locations beside the Creek south-east of Mt Baker School. downtown and between the active railway tracks and along arterial Highway 3/95. PRESTIGE HOTEL 10 The Prestige Rocky Mountain Resort Cbk. Station FORMER RAILWAY (a “railway hotel”, and its interpretive Sleeping Car "John MUSEUM SITE ROYAL Huber Senior." for hotel guests) ALEXANDR A The Former Museum Site HALL (1976 - 2002) Now Called "Canadian Pacific Railway Park" (Railway Gardens began 1903, restoration started 1998,) HWY 3/95 Hwy 3/95 (VAN HORNE ST. S.) WN CORE This is the former site of the railway museum until 2002-03. It 87 was originally the "north" railway gardens started about 1903 16 TO to Downtown developed along the station passenger platforms. Original gardens declined after passenger trains stopped in 1959 and were removed by the mid-1970's. Restoration of this park 3 The Railway Water Tower New Museum Site and Facilities (2002) NA ( re-built in 1946, to Museum Floor Plan & Elevation W B KE .) began during the Railway Centennial in 1998 and is on-going. E 5 The C.P.R. Freight Shed (built 1898) O AV It contains the Elko Station, the Water Tower and the historic replace the original D (Now the north wing of the Museum building complex) R T "ALCO" Diesel locomotives. As of 2011, it is not complete 1898 tower) along the front of the Cranbrook Station. This rare tower still AT ST (W . . has it's interior 12,000 .S The Cranbrook Walking/Cycling Pathways This network gal. wooden tank, E 3 tracks - 800 feet long each Gift Shop AV runs along the front of the Museum zone linking the museum, which rests on massive Storage Multiple Exhibition Kitchen This 4 1/2 star, full-service hotel is part of a chain in central .) Tickets the Prestige Hotel, the former Museum site, and the downtown E and eastern BC , and was built in 1999 as a major anchor for Galleries Exhibit 2 ND posts and timbers 25 Restaurant Garden AV MGR 1 ST 8 Displays 3 tracks - 800 feet TrainHISTORIC •TRAINS DISPLAYS long Reception Hall area. The first part was built by the Kinnette Club of a much feet above the ground. Fireplace Long Gallery 6 the south-west end of the Museum Zone. The lobby is con- AR larger city pathway network now being done by the Rotary 7 Royal S 7 nected at the back to tracks for future railway excursion trains, 1 The exterior shell was EW T. Palm Court 3 Entrance Club. designed to insulate Raised viewing corridor 5 Freight Shed - Upper Floor and the hotel is decorated with railway ephemera and posters. Catering Kitchen Hall S (D Alexandra Hall * One of the earliest structures built in Cranbrook, it was moved (Future Stages of Development) the tank during cold about 400 feet to its present location onto a new foundation as part of . “Ted Fiedler” Multi-Purpose Room 5 Freight Shed - Lower Floor The major public rooms are named after pioneers involved 1 Historic ALCO Diesel Units weather. It was moved with railway history in this area. the museum site relocation process started in 1999. Now the "north .) from across the tracks Model Railways Former Sleeping car Naughton, donated from the Museum's E wing" of the museum, it has 5,000 Sq.Ft on each level providing AV secondary collection, recognizes a large financial donation (in development) to a strategic location Washrooms more space for other Museum programs and the Cranbrook History Cranbrook History Gallery CH in 1995 to be on the from the Prestige. It has been converted into two luxurious Gallery. rooms, part of special accommodations at the Prestige Hotel. N central vista along the RE main downtown street * The lower floor contains large public washrooms, a multi-purpose * The Museum displays railway art and architecture, as shown by through Canada, the Crowsnest Pass and Cranbrook. THE FOLLOWING (#11 - #15) IS ON PRIVATE RAILWAY (F "Baker Street". room and two operating model railway displays (O-Gauge and H0- its restored "Royal Alexandra Hall", formerly the grand cafe from * A complete 4-car set of the 1936 "Chinook", along with royal PROPERTY - DO NOT TRESPASS The ALCO Diesel A & B Units (1953), on left, were donated Gauge). The models are incomplete as of summer/2011 and depend the 1906 "Royal Alexandra Hotel" in Winnipeg and pride of the cars, cars-of-state, and interpretive cars expands the storey of the from Canadian Pacific's historic collection in Quebec City, ar- 4 The Cranbrook CPR Station (built 1898) on funding. Canadian Pacific Railway until its demolition in 1971. In 1999 the classic train era. Several cars are designated "Canadian Cultural 11 CPR Round House and Turntable riving in Cranbrook in the 1990's. The units were moved onto * The upper floor has 5 exhibition galleries for termporary displays museum purchased the hundreds of pieces, stored in a semi trailer. Property", reflecting their importance to Canada. The original 10 stalls constructed in1898 were replaced with the site for permanent display in 2002 when the Museum relo- of local history and art, plus touring exhibtiions from other Museums The 2-storey-high carved oak fireplace from the hotel's formal dining * About 90,000 Sq.Ft. of inlaid exotic wood paneling is on display, a new structure in 1920. A ferro-concrete 7-stall structure, cated to it's new site (Units are awaiting exterior restoration). Modernized and Art Galleries. There are four galleries (of 400 Sq.Ft each) and along with stained glass, wool carpets, brass fixtures, plush up- built onto the original in 1907 was removed in the late 1990's. room is an important first impression for visitors arriving. The Main Existing Long Gallery of 1300 Sq.Ft.) and an Exhibition Managers Of- Entrance Hall has a neo-classical brick facade. holstery and a large display of railway china and silverware. All The 7 tracks left in place and the 100-foot turntable and most 2 The Elko Station (built 1901, relocated to Cranbrook fice. One end of this floor will contain a small restaurant, washrooms * This museum is unique in that it has an unusual "lifestyle, design are available to see on tours through sumptuous, but extremely of the building is still in use. for office and visitor use at the former Museum site in 1987) and an outdoor deck overlooking the active railway tracks and small and social history" theme rather than the technological & mechanical fragile interiors of the cars. Original garden. These are not yet complete as of summer 2011 depending on approach of most railway museums. * The Railway Excursion Trains Arrival/Departure Track is at the 12 Former location of Railway Water Tower funds. back of the museum allowing trains such as the "Royal Canadian The Tower was relocated to Museum site in 1996 (See # 3) * It is a comprehensive museum, with a very large artifact collection, located in a small city of 20,000 people. This project illustrates a Pacific" operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway to bring its' pas- 13 "CPR" House 6 Railway Freight Shed Garden sengers directly to the museum. continuing railway heritage spirit in Cranbrook. Site of the former "CPR House" built about 1898 as tempo- New in 1999 part of the new museum site, and was near the site of the earliest railway Ice House. (see also #15) rary quarters for railway employees, it was replaced by the 8 Historic Trains Display Area 9 Van Horne Park (begun in 1998 as a railway centennial CPR-YMCA in 1910. (see also # 2) Not to be confused with National Historic designation legacy project, contains a Crowsnest Highway 3 Historic Plaque) 7 Museum Buildings the "CPR House B&B - #65 on main map in "Baker Hill". This park was a small willow grove preserved during the widen- 14 Railway Supervisors Former Housing The 1907 “Train Deluxe”, two examples of the 28 railcars on display showing exterior car design and architecture ing of the highway and the reloca- Site of several former Residences, removed in the 1970's tion of Jim Creek to allow the * This museum has a renowned collection of beautifully restored building of the Prestige Hotel at 15 Railway "Ice" House Originally built as a large 2-storey "Crowsnest Style A" Depot, it luxurious railway passenger cars - DELUXE HOTELS-ON- the south-west end of the Museum Site of the former 1920's large Railway Ice House, directly This is the only surviving CPR "Crowsnest Style B" station. was enlarged to 3-storeys in 1905 to meet increasing business, par- WHEELS - representing the finest trains ever to run in Canada on the Zone. The Museum began preserv- across the tracks from the Cranbrook Station, demolished in It was moved from the small town of Elko, 43 miles east of ticularly due to the connecting line to Spokane. Heavily modernized Canadian Pacific Railway. ing the willows in 1980 to prevent the late1960's. A previous smaller Ice House existed south Cranbrook in 1987, and restored. It served as offices/gift shop in 1946 along with several other "test" stations on the CPR system, it * The centerpiece train is the completely restored 7-car set of the dumping of waste soils over the of the Station on that side of the tracks, about where the and archives of the Railway Museum at the old site until staff was vacated by the railway in Sept.2009. There is a long-established famous 1929 "Trans-Canada Limited" a transcontinental operating very small trees. They were the Freight Shed garden is now located. (See also #6) relocated to the new site in 2003. It is leased with tenants. concept plan that recommends the building be restored. It is the only between Montreal and Vancouver on the CPR main line. remains of willows in an original It now sits on part of the foundation of the former Railway- * It also has 4 of 6 cars of the 1907 " Soo- Spokane Train De- #16 - #96 continues on the large map over for the unrestored original building in the Railway Heritage Area. wetland. The park is named YMCA (1910-1974). (see #13) luxe" which ran internationally between Minneapolis and Spokane, downtown & Baker Hill Heritage Residential Area. the CPR hotel in Winnipeg was named. The grand cafe of this hotel is now called the Royal Alexan- • CRANBROOK• dra Hall, and is the centrepiece of the railway museum buildings. A BRIEF HISTORY FORT STEELE & CRANBROOK The City is named after “Cranbrook” in Kent, England, located between London and Hastings. * In 1898, Baker's long term dream was realized when the CPR built its Crowsnest Pass line into the CELEBRATING THE KTUNAXA area from southern Alberta to Kootenay Lake. This was the CPR's first major branch line after main- line construction 13 years earlier. ☛ The Ktunaxa, an ancient First Nations people, often camped in the basin, where Cranbrook is. * However, the railway made a critical decision to bypass Fort Steele for various reasons. One impor- CRANBROOK Centuries of nomadic use of Upper (east) Kootenay and Lower (west) Kootenay regions happened. tant reason was that Fort Steele merchants and residents thought the railway HAD to come through their town, so speculation had increased land prices and this did not please the railway. This had The St. Eugene Mission Resort, about 6 km north of Cranbrook, has the “Ktunaxa Interpretive HISTORY Centre”. Phone: 250-417-4001. happened in other towns across the country, where the railway simply bypassed the town and built a station in another location, so Fort Steele was not unique. * For example, at Moyie, the CPR refused to build a station due to inflated land prices, so instead it 1) THE "CRANBROOK HISTORY GALLERY" EARLY EXPLORERS built a station a few miles south at the end of the Lake and called it "Moyelle". This lasted for a while ☛ In 1808 David Thompson, an explorer for the Hudson’s Bay Co., came through the Cranbrook EXPLORE * This new gallery is located in the lower level of the historic Freight Shed, until land prices in Moyie came down and the CPR built a permanent station there. basin from “Kootenay House”, about 80 miles to the north, on his way down the Moyie River * However, the major reason for bypassing Fort Steele, was probably the very difficult engineering just off the Entrance Hall to the Museum, and is FREE to the public. valley (then called the Alexander River) on his exploration of the Kootenay and Columbia Rivers. challenge of creating a grade steep along the steep and unstable sand cliffs above the St. Mary's River * The permanent photo collage exhibit is titled “ A VISUAL GLIMPSE * The Palliser Expeditions took place in this region the 1850’s, and in 1864-65, the Dewdney Trail near Fort Steele, known as the "Hoo Doo‚s", which was needed to gain several hundred feet of eleva- INTO THE DIVERSE CHARACTER OF CRANBROOK”, and is intend- was constructed from Hope (on the Fraser River in the lower mainland) to Fisherville (a few miles tion up to Cranbrook. ed to give a quick visual orientation to the early history of the community. * This display and more detailed material in the Cranbrook and Railway Archives at the Museum, will provide the basis for future in-depth tempo- Historic up the Wildhorse Creek near present - day Fort Steele). The route used part of the Moyie River valley from Yahk, and came through the east side of the basin in which Cranbrook now sits. * This technical challenge was not solved until the railway built a direct line from Fort Steele to Cranbrook in 1972 due to the Libby Dam flooding of the original 1898 line at Wardner, and where the railway had decided to cross the Kootenay River rather than at Fort Steele. The grade from Wardner rary historical exhibitions in the nearly-completed Exhibition Galleries For Art & History on the upper floor. * Included in the Gallery is the large Centennial Quilt, containing iconic Cranbrook EARLY SETTLERS ☛ In later 1860’s, Robert Galbraith pre-empted the Cranbrook basin from the Provincial Government. and began a ranching operation. His brother John ran Galbraith’s Ferry across the along wide benches of land and through "Isadore Canyon" into Cranbrook was much easier and less costly. The new (1972) grade along Hoo Doo's, however, has caused continuous stability problems for the railway as predicted in 1898. * The railway had to come through the Cranbrook basin anyway since it was on the lowest route to Kootenay River on the Dewdney Trail to Fisherville. Galbraiths’ Ferry was re-named Fort Steele images of Cranbrook done by the Quilting Guild for the City Centennial in the Moyie River which then descended to Kootenay Lake. Cranbrook had been surveyed in 1897 by in 1888 and soon became the largest community in both the East and West Kootenays. Cranbrook 2005. Baker so the CPR was able to take advantage of a ready-made townsite with less-expensive land. assumed the lead after the arrival of the railway 10 years later. * The Heritage Tour Map of the city, on the reverse of this, is printed in * In the 1870’s a customs outpost was added to the Galbraith farm land to administer entries from the There it established its operating headquarters - or divisional offices - the main reason for Cranbrook's very large format in this gallery. growth. USA to the gold fields of Fisherville and Perry Creek (NW of Cranbrook). * Although the railway was built through Cranbrook instead of Fort Steele, Col. Baker was re-elected 2) THE CRANBROOK & RAILWAY ARCHIVES * Thomas Seelye, a customs agent died here Mar. 26, 1876. His tombstone is the earliest recorded. by the people of this region in 1898, about 80 % of whom still lived at Fort Steele. Cranbrook's popu- * This large body of historical material is located on the upper back floor of Seeleye had earlier been a member of the BC negotiating committee for entering confederation, when lation did not begin to grow until late 1898, after the election, so it was obvious that Baker was still the Museum overlooking the Entrance Hall. It contains tens of thousands of he lived in Victoria. respected for his prior work in joining the East Kootenays to the outside world with a railway. items relating to Cranbrook and area and Canadian Railway history - early * By1905, Cranbrook was made the centre of government for the region due to its railway connec- newspapers, photographs, pamphlets, maps, books, etc. - most of it now COL JAMES A BAKER tions. Fort Steele quickly became a ghost town, that was restored by the Provincial Govt in the 1960's - Founder of Cranbrook - (1830 - 1906) as a heritage site. computerized. ☛ In 1885, Col. James A. Baker bought the land and log house from Galbraith and expanded it’s 3) “CRANBROOK 2005 CENTENNIAL BOOK” farming operation. The original log Galbraith ranch house burned later that year, but Baker built ARRIVAL OF THE RAILWAY 1898 * A beautiful full-colour coffee table book about the evolution of the city, a new trading post/home which still survives today as one of the oldest buildings in its original ☛ In 1898, the Canadian Pacific Railway was built from southern Alberta at Lethbridge, to the south available in the Museum Gift Shop. location in this part of B.C. The home was completely renovated/restored in 1982-83 by the Museum end of Kootenay Lake just north of Creston. Cranbrook was made the divisional/administrative point Foundation. (see # 40 on the tour map.) for this strategic railway that protected Canadian soverignty against inroads into southern BC made ☛ Baker named his place “Cranbrook Farm” after his ancestral home in Cranbrook, Kent, England. by the “Inland Empire” centred in Spokane. WA. This textile centre dates from the 1300’s and is unique for its windmills. * The railway arrived in Cranbrook, Aug.23, 1898, and the city began to grow quickly due to mining, * James Baker served in the BC Government from 1888 to 1900, holding many ministerial positions lumber, and other services required by the region, as well as the new railway facilities that were built. at various times such as Minister of Mines, Education, Immigration, Provincial Secretary, and the The City has remained the central service centre for the Kootenay region. powerful position of Executive Clerk to the Privy Council. He laid the cornerstone of the present NOTES FOR TOURING: Parliament Buildings in Victoria in 1892. * Baker, as MLA, brought Supt Sam Steele in to solve the growing conflict between natives and EARLY GROWTH ☛ On Nov.1, 1905, the City * Please respect the PRIVACY of home owners and PERSONAL PROPERTY. the increasing numbers of white settlers. This conflict included Baker who had fenced most of the incorporated due to the tremendous Galbraith land to protect his livestock and crops. Supt Steele stayed only the winter of 1887-88 at Residences can be viewed from the sidewalk. Do not trespass onto private property Galbraith's Ferry and then continued to other places in western Canada. growth and the need for essential unless invited by owners. services. Many businesses located * Baker worked tirelessly during his 12 years in government to have a railway built through the area, downtown and many of these buildings working with William Fernie in coal development, and many others. In 1898, his dream was realized. * The Cranbrook Archives, Museum, and Landmark (CAMAL) Foundation does * Baker returned permanently to England in 1900 leaving the townsite business to his son Hyde remain for you to see on this tour. * Many early Cranbrook homes were not assume any liability or responsibility for these tours. Baker. He died in 1906, and his son and family returned to England just before World War One. built in “Baker Hill” south of the down- * Their estate became Baker Park in Cranbrook. Mount Baker south-east of the City was named after * Questions about the CONTENT or details of Cranbrook History may be available THREE HERITAGE AREAS: town area between 1898 and the First Col Baker as are the main “Baker” streets in both Cranbrook and Nelson. World War in 1914. This area is now a at the Cranbrook Historical Archives, located in the Canadian Museum of Rail 1) Railway Heritage Infrastructure 2) Downtown Core designated Residential Heritage Area Travel. Appointments are advised for archives visits. There is no staff for research 3) "Baker Hill" Residential The BAKER FAMILY (1500’s to the present) with a Management Plan overseen by work - this may be be done by private contractors, or perhaps by volunteers, * Sissinghurst Castle near Cranbrook, was the home of early ancester Sir John Baker at the time of the City and the Baker Hill Residents Elizabeth I in the late 1500’s. The gardens were made into the famous “White Gardens” by Rita depending on scope and detail required. This map is produced for your discovery and enjoyment of Cranbrook’s “built heritage” including buildings, monuments, parks, and other items of historical interest. Sackville-West in the 1920’s, a descendent of the Bakers. Association. * Baker’s great uncle Capt. Joseph Baker, sailed with Capt. Vancouver, mapping the west coast of * Heritage Tour Maps are available FREE at the Museum (250-489-3918) or the * These are SELF-GUIDED TOURS * on foot &/or by car. North America in the 1790’s. The volcanic Mt. Baker in north Washington state is named after him. Chamber of Commerce Visitors Centres (250-489-5914). Schools can request bulk * Baker’s father John was a banker in London who owned plantations in Jamiaca. copies * Baker served in the miliary for some time, and then obtained an MA from Cambridge University. OTHER CRANBROOKS He wrote a definative book on the Turkish-Russian (Crimean) War for the British Government. ☛ Besides the original Cranbrook Maps produced by: * He later became a private secretary to the Duke of Sutherland, who owned vast sections of northen in Kent, England and Cranbrook in The Cranbrook Archives, Museum and Landmark Foundation Scotland, and later to the Duke of Westminster, who owned much of central London. BC, Canada, there is a Cranbrook in (At the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel) * Baker’s elder brother Sir Samuel Baker discovered the source of the Nile river and served as a Gov- Australia and another (the Cranbrook ernor General of the Sudan at Khartoum. Col. James A. Baker (1830 - 1906) Academy) in Dearborn, (near Detroit), 250-489-3918 www.trainsdeluxe.com * Another elder brother, Valentine “Pasha” Baker , was a very good friend of the Prince of Wales Founder of Cranbrook, BC Provincial Representative, Michigan in the USA. Map layout by Kootenay Kwik Print 2011 (later Edward VII), and his wife, Alexandra, Princess of Wales (later Queen Alexandra) after whom and a Minister with several portfolios 1888 - 1900.
"the RAILWAY HERITAGE AREA - Crowsnest Railway Route"