Powhatan’s Three Hour Tour
1) Powhatan Courthouse Village – 3880 Old Buckingham Road
On the National Register of Historic Places, this historic district is noted for the
courthouse and the old jail which now houses the Powhatan Historical Society. Other
historic buildings include the old clerk’s office, the old treasurer’s office, and the
Courthouse Tavern. A walking tour of the Village is available upon request. 804-
2) Emmanuel Episcopal Church – 2390 Emmanuel Church Road
This beautiful church, circa 1842, is a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture.
The cemetery holds the graves of some Confederate soldiers. Emmanuel is also on
the National Register of Historic Places.
3) Nichol’s Store – 4500 Old Buckingham Road
Built in the early 1920’s, this little country store served the community well until
1996. It was also a post office during that time. The current owner conducts auctions
at this site.
4) Do Drop In General Store – 5920 Old Buckingham Road
If you need a break, stop by this lovely old store for a snack and a drink.
5) French’s Tavern – 6100 Old Buckingham Road
Built between 1730 and 1734, Thomas Jefferson was one of its many owners. It was
named for Hugh French who operated a tavern on the property for 28 years. The
tavern is on the National Register of Historic Places and now serves as a private
6) Mosby Tavern – 2625 Old Tavern Road
Mosby Tavern was built in 1740 and played a key role in the history of both
Powhatan and Cumberland Counties. From 1749 to 1777, the tavern was used as a
courthouse and prison for Cumberland County. When new county lines were drawn,
Powhatan court was held here for two years before moving to the present location. At
the onset of the Revolutionary War, the tavern was also used as a meeting place for
county militia. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a private
7) Old Tavern Junction – 5500 Anderson Highway
This charming old store has survived since the early 1930’s.
8) Derwent – 6000 Derwent Road
After the Civil War, General Robert E. Lee and his family stayed here from late June
1865 until mid September 1865. It is said that from Derwent, General Lee helped the
nation heal from the devastation of war through his inspirational and uplifting
9) Muddy Creek Baptist Church – 3470 Trenholm Road
Founded in 1774, General Lee and his family attended services here during their stay
in Powhatan. It is also the site of a one room schoolhouse that operated from 1875 to
10) Belmead Mansion – 5000 Cartersville Road
Built in the mid 1800’s, Belmead was once part of an African American school for
men. It began as St. Emma Industrial & Agricultural College in 1895, later to be
named St. Emma Military Academy after an ROTC program was introduced in 1947.
The school closed in 1972 and a majority of the school was demolished soon after.
There are several historic cemeteries and buildings on this beautiful property
overlooking the James River. Horse lovers come to ride the over 20 miles of trails.
This architectural wonder is on the National Register of Historic Places.
11) Provost (Oakville) – 4801 Cartersville Road
Built around the turn of the nineteenth century, Provost was built on a main
stagecoach route from Richmond. It has served as a general store, ordinary, Post
Office, office of the Bureau of Vital Statistics and now is a private residence. It is
also on the National Register of Historic Places.
12) St. Francis de Sales School for Girls – End of Bell Road
Established in 1899 by Sister Katherine Drexel (who later became a saint), St. Francis
overlooks the James River on the property adjoining Belmead. It was a high school
exclusively for African and Native American girls that closed its doors in 1970. St.
Francis has been abandoned for 40 years and is in desperate need of repair. Efforts
are underway to preserve this historic building. From the magnificent architecture to
the intricate details of stained glass and marble mantles, this historic gem is quite
something to behold.
13) Lee’s Last Bivouac – 2630 Huguenot Trail
After his surrender at Appomattox, General Robert E. Lee made camp for one last
time on April 14, 1865 in this area before riding into Richmond.
14) Fine Creek Mill – 2434 Robert E. Lee Road
On this 10-acre property, you will find remnants of an old gristmill: remnants of Fine
Creek Manor built in the 1700’s, but destroyed by fire in 1928; an old gatehouse; Fine
Creek School; and several other historic buildings that served this small community.
This historic district is on the National Register of Historic Places.
15) St. Luke’s Episcopal Church – 2245 Huguenot Trail
Established in 1844, this church and its cemetery are on the National Register of
Historic Places. The oldest grave is dated 1846. Many of General Robert E. Lee’s
relatives are buried here, including his brother and a nephew, as well as, many other
Civil War veterans.
16) Manakin Episcopal Church – 985 Huguenot Trail
This church’s history dates back to 1701 when the French Huguenots first settled in
the area after fleeing persecution from their country. On this property you will find
the old church dating to 1895 and a monument dedicated to the French Huguenot
settlement. This property is on the National Register of Historic Places.
17) Huguenot Springs Cemetery – 911 Old Confederate Cemetery Road
A Confederate convalescent hospital was established here in 1862 at the site of an
antebellum spa and hotel. Locals volunteered their time and limited resources to care
for the soldiers here. A mass grave at the site contains the remains of more than 250
18) Ewell Crosses the Appomattox – 3091 Genito Road
On April 14, 1865, Confederate General Richard Ewell, who commanded the
Richmond area forces, faced challenges crossing the Appomattox River near here
while trying to join Lee in Amelia. Finding the Genito Bridge unfit, the Confederates
crossed near here on the Richmond and Danville Railroad Bridge at Mattoax Station.
19) Red Lane Tavern – 3009 Lower Hill Road
Built in 1832, this house operated as a rural tavern from 1836 to 1845. It is on the
National Register of Historic Places and now serves as a private residence.
20) Erin Hill – 3840 Old Buckingham Road
Plantation home built in 1770 now serving as a bed and breakfast inn.