Deficiencies per ships in PSC inspection, June 2009
Csae-1 (Port in Argentina) Def. Type of deficiency Code 1220 Freeboard marks 1220 Freeboard marks 730 Fire fighting equipment and appliances 799 Other (fire safety) 745 Ventilation 1570 Nautical publications 1570 2660 1320 2525 2515 Act. Code 17 17 17 17 17 15 15 17 99 18 18 ISM Code 5 3
Details of deficiency 1. Freeboard marks are not painted properly 2. Draft mark on midship are not painted properly 3. Main fire pipe has water leak on main deck at hold N°5 & 3
4. One EEBD on bridge is discharged. 5. Closure of opening in funnels don´t work properly 6. Nautical publication Notice to Mariner, weekly edition are not up dated ( last on board March 2009) Nautical publications 7. ISPS Code book, Code for safe carriage of grain in bulk are not available onboard. Water level indicator 8. Water ingress tester do not work properly (Hold No 5). Anchoring devices 9. Port Anchor and twelve shackles missing. Masters responsibility and 10. There are objective evidence that not exist exchange of information authority between the master and the pilot ( The pilot card from xxxxxx to xxxxxxx port not signed by master and pilot). Company responsibility 11. There is objective evidence that the Company not complied with Master and authority requirements over publication update on board. (Master required publication update on March and not received)
Csae-2 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 741 Means of control (opening, closure of skylights, pumps, etc. machinery spaces) 380 Access / Structure 610 Lifeboats 1275 Ventilators, air pipes, casings 736 Emergency Escape Breathing Device 989 Decks - cracking 982 Beams, frames, floors corrosion 2550 Maintenance of the ship and equipment Csae-3 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 743 Fire-dampers 743 Fire-dampers Csae-4 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 2041 Operation of GMDSS equipment 610 Lifeboats 720 Readily availability of fire fighting equipment 2055 Manuals, instructions, etc.
Details of deficiency 1. No 2 Engine room fan damper severely wasted/holed (half of plate missing). 2. Several external accommodation ladder steps wasted. 3. Starboard lifeboat F&A "link stoppers" not operational. 4. Forepeak tank air pipe floats not operational (P&S). 5. Engine room (bottom plate) EEBD shows no pressure on gauge. 6. Crack in horizontal (main deck) plating in Stbd Fwd corner of No 3 Hold and Port Aft corner of No 2 Hold. 7. Cracking/wastage in Fore/Aft hatch coaming brackets at Fwd P&S corners of No 3 Hold and Aft P&S corners of No 2 Hold. 8. ISM system does not ensure maintenance of ship and equipment after survey, as evidenced by deficiencies 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7.
Act. Code 30
ISM Code -
16 17 17 17 30 30 18
Details of deficiency 1. No.4 Engine room fan flap wasted (Port). 2. No.2 Engine room fan flap (Port) crack at connection to spindle.
Act. Code 30 17 Act. Code 17 30 17 16 17
ISM Code ISM Code -
Details of deficiency 1. NAVAREA X & Australian Coastal Navigation Warnings not sighted, INMARSAT C incorrectly configured. 2. Port & Starboard lifeboat on-load release systems defective 3. Main deck fire station lamp defective.
4. SOLAS training manual information on lifeboat on-load release system deficient. 2055 Manuals, instructions, etc. 5. Instructions inside lifeboats for correct setting of on-load release equipment deficient.
Csae-5 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code
Details of deficiency Page 1
696 Maintenance and inspection 945 Emergency lighting, batteries and switches
1. Port & starboard lifeboat-No record of 5 yearly on load dynamic testing of winch brake for davits. 2. Emergency Generator unable to connect to emergency switch-board automatically.
Csae-6 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Details of deficiency Code 2699 Other (bulk carriers) 1. No record of observed drafts on loading sequence 714 Doors within main vertical 2. Self closing fire doors in main stairwell secured open zone 1594 Voyage or passage plan 3. Voyage plan does not take account environmental and special considerations in compliance with STCW VIII Annex 2 part 2, SOLAS V R34 1543 Compass correction log 4. Compass error records not as per STCW 692 Operational readiness of 5. Port lifeboat on load release safety pin seized lifesaving appliances 699 Other (life-saving) 6. Emergency tillers both lifeboats stowed in lockers no identification of stowage position 1499 Other (machinery) 7. Emergency generator defective 680 Embarkation arrangements 8. Fwd liferaft embarkation gates seized - survival craft 680 Embarkation arrangements 9. Fwd liferaft embarkation ladder securing shackles seized - survival craft 2099 Other 10. Pilot ladder embarkation gates seized (SOLAS/operational) 1596 Navigation records 11. No record of navigation activity pilot to berth 799 Other (fire safety) 12. Lub oil tank gauge glass valves gagged open 899 Other (accident 13. Safety data sheets not available at chemical storage prevention) 739 Emergency Fire Pump 14. Emergency fire pump failed to start 2599 Other (ISM) 15. Company procedures fail to ensure correct maintenance of ship & equipment objective evidence items 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 14 Csae-7 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 610 Lifeboats 1275 Ventilators, air pipes, casings 650 Lifebuoys 610 Lifeboats 610 Lifeboats 1499 Other (machinery) 1499 Other (machinery) 2550 Maintenance of the ship and equipment Csae-8 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 743 Fire-dampers 743 Fire-dampers 692 Operational readiness of lifesaving appliances 2550 Maintenance of the ship and equipment Csae-9 (Port in Australia) Def. Type of deficiency Code 950 Electric equipment in general
Act. Code 17 17 17 16 17 17 30 17 17 17 15 16 17 17 18
ISM Code -
Details of deficiency 1. Port lifeboat on-load release system defective. 2. After peak ventilator head float fitted permanently in the open position. 3. Life buoy light on Port side boat deck not operating. 4. Port & Stbd lifeboats emergency steering system defective. (Incorrectly fitted.) 5. Battery terminals for emergency canopy light inside lifeboat corroded/broken. 6. No.1 Main engine cooling SW pump leaking from mechanical seal. 7. Heeling tank pump on Stbd side leaking mechanical seal. 8. ISM system does not adequately ensure maintenance of the ship & equipment as evidence by deficiencies No.1, 2, 4, 5, 6 & 7
Act. Code 30 17 17 17 17 17 17 18
ISM Code 10
Details of deficiency 1. Engine room supply fan fire damper broken/wasted starboard aft side. 2. Engine room supply fan fire damper small perforations at edges (Port side aft) 3. Port and Starboard lifeboats on-load release mechanism defective morse cables (03 pieces)(Inner cables revealed due to cable separation) 4. Maintenance, testing and inspections of lifeboat on-load release mechanisms and engine room supply fan fire dampers unsatisfactory.
Act. Code 30 17 30 18
ISM Code 10
Details of deficiency 1. Emergency Generator-defective-unable to transfer power to the emergency switchboard. Page 2
Act. Code 30
ISM Code -
610 Lifeboats 610 Lifeboats 1560 Charts Csae-10 (Port in Canada) Def. Type of deficiency Code 739 Emergency Fire Pump 739 Emergency Fire Pump 1750 Oil/water interface detector 699 Other (life-saving) 714 650 745 1550 199 1596 1599
2. Port lifeboat davit limit switch seized 3. Port lifeboat canopy light defective 4. AUS Chart 515 for next voyage not onboard
17 17 17 Act. Code 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 99 99
ISM Code -
Details of deficiency
1. Emergency Fire Pump not taking suction. 2. Instruction posted to operate emergency fire pump incorrect. 3. Oily Water Separator, solenoid 3-way valve not operating with 15 ppm alarm 4. Muster List does not include Jr. 3rd officer, List indicated 19 crews instead of 20 crew on board. Doors within main vertical 5. Several self-closing fire doors in accommodation, steering gear room not zone closing properly. Lifebuoys 6. Self-ignition light with life buoy on stbd boat deck not working Ventilation 7. Funnel damper wire disconnected. One flap not closing. Lights, shapes, sound8. Forward (upper) masthead light not working. signals Other 'Certificate) 9. Company Identification Number, different on ISSC & DOC certificate Navigation records 10. Passage plan not provided from English Bay anchorage to berth. (Action Code 99: Master instructed accordingly) Other (Navogation) 11. Investigated complain from USCG of marine occurrence when inbound, vessel contravened COLREGS in precautionary area of a TSS. Vessel did not take corrective action when contacted in CVTS. (Action Code 99: Master instructed accordingly) Log book/compulsory 12. Log book entries of ship's movement in TSS incomplete. (entries) (Action Code 99: Master instructed accordingly) Emergency preparedness 13. Class ISM audit to be carried out on Marine occurrence and emergency preparedness
Csae-11 (Port in China) Def. Type of deficiency Code 111 Cargo Ship Safety Construction (including Exemption) 715 Fire detection 960 Means of escape 710 710 1899 1570 945 Fire prevention Fire prevention Other (Oil tankers) Nautical publications Emergency lighting, batteries and switches
Details of deficiency 1. The last two inspections of the outside of the ship's bottom took place on" not entry in SC cert. 2. Smoke/Heat detector and fire alarm in E/G room N/A 3. Escape trunk to E/Room not the same fire integrity (partly fire insulation for bulkhead to S/G room not provided) 4. Cable duct on E/G room floor to A/C room not meet fire integrity. 5. Cable duct on bulkhead of E/G room to corridor not meet fire integrity. 6. ERS agreement N/A on board. 7. IAMSAR vol III not up to date. 8. CO2 room illumination out of order and not covered by emcy-light.
Act. Code 18 30 30 30 30 17 15 17
ISM Code -
Csae-12 (Port in China) Def. Type of deficiency Code 710 Fire prevention 1470 1470 1460 1275 1275 1275 945
Details of deficiency
1. A hole (Dia.23cm) found on the bulkhead of E.C.C.R behind main switchboard. Insulation wetted through 2. Thermal insulation of manhole cover for F.O.SETT. TK not found. (oil) Insulation wetted through 3. Thermal insulation of manhole cover for F.O.SERV.TK not found. (oil) Guards/fencing around 4. Anti-slipperry floor around emergency steering gear position not found. dangerous machinery parts Ventilators, air pipes, 5. Vent cover to CO2 room seized. casings Ventilators, air pipes, 6. Vent cover to fire station room seized. casings Ventilators, air pipes, 7. Multi.Drain plugs of D.O & F.O tank air vent missing. casings Emergency lighting, 8. All emergency lights in engine room not marked clearly. batteries and switches Page 3
Act. Code 30 16 16 16 16 16 16 16
ISM Code -
1010 General alarm 1010 General alarm 1010 General alarm 1010 General alarm Csae-13 (Port in China) Def. Type of deficiency Code 610 Lifeboats 2099 Other (SOLAS/operational) 1570 Nautical publications 1710 Oil record book 740 Fire pumps 1499 Other (machinery) 1430 Auxiliary engine 1435 Gauges, thermometers, etc 950 Electric equipment in general 1499 Other (machinery) 1730 Oil filtering equipment 2545 Reports and analysis of non-conformities, accidents and hazardous occurrences Csae-14 (Port in China) Def. Type of deficiency Code 715 Fire detection 715 Fire detection 715 Fire detection 715 Fire detection 715 Fire detection 715 Fire detection 1010 General alarm 1010 1010 1010 1010 1010 1623 1592 699 1551 755
9. Manually operated call point at paint locker area (include near exit) not provided. 10. Manually operated call point at CO2 room area (include near exit) not provided. 11. Manually operated call point at emergency generator room area (include near exit) not provided. 12. Manually operated call point at galley room area (include near exit) not provided.
30 30 30 30
Details of deficiency 1. Falls of lifeboats not renew over 5 years 2. Not carried out pre-arrival of xxxxxxxx check for navigational equipments & engines 3. NP 286(1) not up to date 4. Collection of oil residues entries not made weekly in oil record book 5. The packing of main fire pump leaking 6. The piping & fittings for Aft S/T P.A.P. system leaking 7. Insulation of No.1 & No.2 A/E Exh. Outlet pipe missing 8. One Exh. Temp. gauge for No.2 A/E damaged 9. Insulation carpets not provided in front & rear of Emergency switch board 10. Water level gauge for boiler leaking 11. O.W.S. can not work normally no sample water in sample pipe supply 12. Deficiencies of last PSC inspection not rectified as requirements
Act. Code 15 15 15 15 15 15
ISM Code 9
Details of deficiency
1. Fire detector in paint room not found 2. Fire detector in CO2 room not found 3. Fire detector in fire station room not found 4. Fire detector in E/G room not found 5. Fire detector in galley room not found 6. Fire detector in S/G & Emerge. Fire pump room not found 7. Manually operated call point in the Captain room deck's corridor found more than 20m from next manually operated call point General alarm 8. Manually operated call point at CO2 room area (including near exit) not provided. General alarm 9. Manually operated call point at E/G room area (including near exit) not found General alarm 10. Manually operated call point at Galley Room area (including near exit) not provided. General alarm 11. Manually operated call point at paint room area (including near exit) not provided. General alarm 12. Manually operated call point at S/G & emerge. fire pump Room area (including near exit) not provided. MF/HF radio installation 13. MF/HF NBDP printer malfunction Use of the automatic pilot 14. Off course alarm of auto pilot malfunction Other (life-saving) 15. IAMSAR manual vol III not up to date Signaling lamp 16. ALDIS lamp independent battery N/A Fire control plan - all 17. Fire main isolation valve not identified in fire control plan ships
Act. Code 16 16 16 16 16 30 16 30 30 30 30 30 15 16 16 16 18
ISM Code -
Csae-15 (Port in Germany) Def. Type of deficiency Code 1430 Auxiliary engine 1310 Ropes, wires 2330 Garbage record book
Details of deficiency 21. Auxiliary engines with leakages (water, oil etc). 1. Minimum three mooring lines damaged and to be changed. One rope already broken today. See also deficiencies from last PSC report. Company takes no action and ignored everything. 2. Only copy pages used due to garbage record book missing. Page 4
Act. Code 30 17 17
ISM Code -
Compass correction log Other (radio) Other (navigation) Stowage of lifeboats Structural features (ship) Electric equipment in general 950 Electric equipment in general 1430 Auxiliary engine 988 Decks - corrosion 745 Ventilation 745 Ventilation 1270 Doors 1230 Railing, cat walks 1230 1499 1499 799 1430 1430 1721 Railing, cat walks Other (machinery) Other (machinery) Other (fire safety) Auxiliary engine Auxiliary engine Retention of oil on board
1543 1699 1599 613 850 950
1499 Other (machinery) 1410 Propulsion main engine 1410 Propulsion main engine 1499 Other (machinery) 1430 Auxiliary engine 899 Other (accident prevention) 956 Gangway, accommodation ladder 2550 Maintenance of the ship and equipment 2515 Company responsibility and authority 2599 Other (ISM) 745 Ventilation 710 Fire prevention 710 Fire prevention 713 Main vertical zone 710 Fire prevention 1286 Scuppers, inlets and discharges 1499 Other (machinery) 1499 Other (machinery) Csae-16 (Port in India.) Def. Type of deficiency Code
3. Compass correction log not properly filled. 4. Several ITU lists expired. 5. One binocular not properly adjustable. 6. Limit switch of both lifeboat davits not working 7. Limit switch runner of provision crane out of order. 8. Several decks lights all over the vessel damaged and/or not properly maintained or fixed. 9. Several electric cables/wires around the vessel not properly fixed and/or watertight. 10. Damaged auxiliary engine on poop deck not properly lashed. Stack weight of deck to be checked by RO. 11. Superstructure holed on stb. side poop deck. To be investigated by class society. 12. Frame of ventilation flaps in front of bridge totally wasted of and flap lying beside. Several butterflies missing on another flaps. To be repaired under supervision of class society. 13. Several fire flaps/ventilation heads around the vessel not properly closable due to corrosion and/or rubber damaged. 14. Several doors on main and poop deck not properly closable. To be repaired under supervision of class society. 15. Rail Stbs side damaged due to wasted of from station. See also deficiencies from last PSC report. Company ignored all. 16. Several protection chains missing and/or not properly fixed. 17. Fuel tank heating system out of order. 18. Boiler water level indicator in bad condition. 19. Cable penetration for power pack cables to engine room not as required. 19. Auxiliary engines with missing/damaged insulation of exhaust duct. 20. Auxiliary engines with broken instruments (e.g. manometers etc.) 22. About 95 cm oil in E/R cofferdam. Oil to be discharged and cofferdam cleaned. 23. Water in pipe duct to be discharged. 24. Local thermometers partly missing at cooling water outlets. See last PSC report. 25. Compensator on exhaust line of ME broken. 26. 'Pipe system in way of cooling-, bilge- and ballast pumps in very bad condition (corrosion). 27. Auxiliary engine cooling water pump missing. 28. Floor plates in engine room and aux eng. room to be fixed. 29. Port side gangway pedestal and steps partly cracked. 30. Due to the amount and nature of the above mentioned deficiencies additional external audit by flag state or RO required. 31. The company is responsible for ensuring that adequate resources and shore based support are provided. Due to the amount and nature of deficiencies it is obviously that the SMS is not properly implemented. Additional external audit by flag state or RO 32. Due to insufficient follow up action taken and ignorance of deficiencies additional audit by flag state or RO required 33. Ventilation duct to the engine port side funnel deck holed. To be repaired under supervision of class. 34. Door funnel to deck port side not closable. To be repaired under supervision of class. 35. Door in engine room to boiler room not closable. To be repaired under supervision of class. 36. Welding in bulkhead engine/aux. engine room missing. To be investigated by class society and repaired under supervision of class. 37. Door in purifier room not closable. To be repaired under supervision of class. 38. Overboard sewage system valve in engine room port side damaged. To be repaired under supervision of class. 39. Scavenge air drain tank full. To be discharged. 40. Valve at scavenge air drain tank damaged.
17 17 17 17 17 17 17 17 30 30 30 30 30 17 17 17 30 17 17 30 17 17 30 17 17 17 17 30 30
30 30 30 30 30 30 30 17 17 Act. Code
Details of deficiency Page 5
745 Ventilation 1735 Pumping, piping and discharge arrangements of oil tankers 714 Doors within main vertical zone 1499 Other (machinery) 650 Lifebuoys 2599 Other (ISM) 1570 Nautical publications 999 Other (stability/structure)
1.CO2 Room: Exhaust fan defective & Exhaust vent fire mesh wasted 2.Oily Bilge Separator Pump not developing vacuum & sensor (15 PPM) not operational 3. 3 Nos. self closing assemblies in E/Room defective. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Engine control room A/C not operational. L/Buoy light housing assembly on boat deck worn & wasted Hot work in progress on Aft deck, without valid hot work permit. List of call sign & numerical identities (ITU) expired . Cable tray assembly on stern & anchor light excessively wasted
30 30 30 17 17 17 18 17 Act. Code 30
7 ISM Code 5
Csae-17 (Port in Korea.) Def. Type of deficiency Details of deficiency Code 2525 Masters responsibility and 1. Master not pointed out designated person when he is not on board. authority Special audit needed about ISM
Csae-18 (Port in Spain) Def. Act. Type of deficiency Details of deficiency Code Code 746 Jacketed piping system 1. D/G No.2 permanent F.O. leak high level alarm. Major fuel leakage from 47 for high pressure fuel lines fuel feed pump ( seal driven device ). ( Act. Code 47: Act. Code 47: Class Report required before departure) 1099 Other (alarms) 2. E/R aft bilge HL alarm permanent set up. (Act. Code 47: Class Report 47 required before departure.) 1060 Machinery controls alarm 3. Several machinery control alarms set up, No.1 main air compressor 47 abnormal, waste oil serv. Tank low level alarm, M/E Cyl. No.2 & 3 Cool. F/V out HT. (Act. Code 47: Class Report required before departure) 1420 Cleanliness of engine 4. Cleanliness of engine room to be improved, M/E, M/E L.O. pump tray, F.O. 99 room purifier space, etc. 1470 Insulation wetted through 5. M/E fuel valve high pressure pipe damaged to be renewed before 17 (oil) departure 1499 Other (machinery) 6. Evaporator ejector sea water pump leaking by seal. 16 2550 Maintenance of the ship 7. E/R maintenance to be improved. Instructions and procedures for that to 18 and equipment be implemented. Csae-19 (Port in U.K.) Def. Type of deficiency Code 1560 Charts 1570 Nautical publications 1594 Voyage or passage plan 2040 Bridge operation 2043 Monitoring of voyage or passage plan 695 On board training and instructions 2530 Resources and personnel 2525 Masters responsibility and authority 650 Lifebuoys Csae-20 (Port in U.S.A..) Def. Type of deficiency Code 750 Fire prevention Act. Code 30 17 30 17 17 16 30 17 17 Act. Code 30
ISM Code 10
Details of deficiency 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Missing / expired Expired Not as required Lack of familiarity Not as required
ISM Code 6 5 ISM Code -
6. Lack of information, Training manual to be ship specific 7. Incomplete 8. Master responsibility 9. Missing, Additional lifebuoy required
Details of deficiency 1. The remote operated valves for both diesel oil service tanks, the heavy fuel oil service tank and the heavy fuel oil settling tank were found blocked open and unable to operate as designed in case of a fire. The No.2 ship's service generator was operating and being supplied by the heavy duel oil service tank. The crew reported that the blocks had been in place fro an unknown period of time. Prove proper operation of the remotely operated valves to the satisfaction of the classification society acting on behalf of the Administration.
Csae-21 (Port in U.S.A..) Page 6
Def. Type of deficiency Code 1499 Other (Prop. & Aux. Machinery)
Details of deficiency 1. It was found that the remote fuel shut-off valves for the Diesel Oil Service Tank (supplies the generators), Fuel Oil Service Tank (supplies the generators and boiler) and Cylinder Oil Storage Tank (supplies the main engine) were each effectively bypassed with a piece of 1/2 inch diameter dowel rod, preventing those tanks from being remotely shut in the event of fire. Upon expanded examination, the PSCO attempted to remove the dowel rod, that bypassed the Diesel Oil Service Tank fuel shut-off, but was unable to do so. The valve had already closed, but was still in the open position and providing fuel to the No.3 Ship Service Generator. All remote fuel shutoff system were successfully tested and approved in working order by class, when the ship was in a scheduled dry dock period. The vessel has not record from the company or class having knowledge or approving this condition. The vessel is to repair the valves and prove proper operation to the attending classification society prior to movement. 1. Inset in hull (above waterline, starboard bow) along deck 7 between Fr. 182 - 186, resulting in buckling of at least two frames. Inset and frame damage decreases structural integrity of hull. No documentation was able to be produced regarding Class notification and approval. ( Def. Code, a: to the satisfaction of class/RO/RSO, ｃ: the satisfaction of Coast Guard ） 2. Temporary patch on weld to seal a leak of air cooler outlet line. No documentation was able to be produced regarding Class notification and approval. 3. Multiple explosion proof lights in the engine room, specifically around the purifier flat, have cracked and/or holed casings. This does not provide adequate fire protection as intended by design. (Def. Code 70: Rectify deficiencies prior to next U.S. port after sailing foreign ） 4. Due to the above deficiencies, and lack of Class and company notification of the same, the vessel's SMS procedure are not being followed and possibly inadequate. An audit of vessel's safety management system is recommended. (Def. Code b: To the satisfaction of administration )
Act. Code 30
ISM Code -
991 Survey Report File
1400 Propulsion & aux. Machinery 710 Fire prevention
2500 ISM related deficiencies