Docstoc

WH - County Hall Apartments

Document Sample
WH - County Hall Apartments Powered By Docstoc
					           CHORA Meeting Minutes


Date                                                              6th April 2004
Location                                                          East Block meeting room
Present                                                           William Howe (WH)
                                                                  Sian Fleet Milne (SFM)
                                                                  Mike Burke (MB)
                                                                  Lois Bentley (LB)
                                                                  Namita Chakrabarty (NC)

                                                                  Paul Wilson (CHMC Guest)
Apologies                                                         Ros Platford
                                                                  Bala Balakrishnan
                                                                  Venetia Glavin
Prepared by                                                       William Howe
Date of Next Meeting                                              Tuesday 4th May

                                              AGENDA - April
   Update on actions from previous meeting
   Review of Constitutional document
   Management Company issue
   AOB

                                               MINUTES

Update on Actions from Previous Meeting

Action            Action Details                             Status                                  Owner
Description
Roles Matrix      WH to organise meeting with CHMC           Complete – Roles and Responsibilities WH
                  to discuss and agree (with drinks          matrix discussed and agreed with
                  afterwards). Possible dates Tue 23rd or    CHMC Board members during a
                  Fri 26th March                             meeting held on 23rd March.
CHORA             Outstanding from Feb meeting.              Document obtained, retyped and        LB
Constitutional                                               distributed to CHORA members for
                  CHORA Constitutional                       review
                  documentation – (Robin Campbell
                  previously prepared) investigate if this   To be discussed via email before next
                  documentation still exists and to          meeting.
                  provide copies for the next CHORA
                  meeting and enquire of Equity when
                  the last poll of residents was
                  completed.

                  BB to investigate and contact Robin
                  Campbell if necessary
Welcome Pack      The welcome pack is out of date and        Carried forward                         SFM
                  needs to be updated to reflect:
                   contact telephone numbers
                   contact email address
                   date stamp to show date of update



                                                  1 of 12
            CHORA Meeting Minutes


Action            Action Details                              Status                                   Owner
Description
                   leisure centre manager
                   Recycle bins
Communication     WH to invite CHL member to next             Complete – Paul Wilson attended          WH
                  meeting
CHORA             To update to reflect LB email address       Complete and forwarded to CHORA          SFM
Contacts          and forward to CHORA members                members
Chora contacts    Mike Burke provided a list of Chora         Complete – useful contacts forwarded     WH
list              contacts. William Howe agreed to            to CHORA members
                  scan this and distribute the full list to
                  the committee before next meeting
Assoc. of         Mike Burke to attend meeting on 8th         Complete – MB attended and               MB
Waterloo          March to register CHORA for                 registered CHORA
                  membership and report back on details
                  to CHORA for next meeting
Bank              Signatory details needs to be updated       Carried Forward                          WH &
                  to BB and WH                                                                         BB
Complaints Log    A logging process needs to be set up        Carried Forward - MB confirmed that      MB &
                  and procedures put in place to allow        no complaints log exist                  Equity
                  residents to log and track
                  complaints/issues
Carpet Spec       Confirm carpet specification for East       Carried Forward                          MB
                  & West Blocks
Bad Smells        WH to forward communications with           Complete - Details given to Gopal on     WH &
                  contract workers and Galliard homes         8th March                                VB
                  to Gopal from CHMC. VB to
                  comment back next meeting as to
                  whether the smells have disappeared
Christmas         SFM to liaise with Stewart Cruttenden       Complete - County Hall events         SFM
Market            and County Hall events and report           confirmed that Shiryama (the Japanese
                  back at next meeting                        owners of County Hall riverside
                                                              building and Belvedere Rd) have
                                                              decided not to have the Christmas
                                                              Market. However they are likely to
                                                              have a different event which SFM will
                                                              obtains details from when made
                                                              available
N/S Block         What are the plans and when is this         Completed – see comments below        WH
redecoration      likely to be completed. WH to discuss
                  with CHMC
Jubilee gardens   LB to contact Don Weighton of               Complete – LB attended and               LB
                  Friends of Jubilee Gardens regarding a      confirmed that the general feeling
                  survey being completed. CHORA               from attendees was that Jubilee
                  have concerns about the nature of the       gardens should remain as a park rather
                  development as the Cultural                 than an area for cultural events
                  Programme being proposed would
                  result in the gardens being used as a
                  venue for cultural activities and not as



                                                  2 of 12
         CHORA Meeting Minutes


Action            Action Details                            Status                                    Owner
Description
                  a park as initially discussed


Mice            Review of correspondence in relation        Completed - Raised with Gopal on 8th      WH
                to the mice problem at County Hall. It      March who agreed to add it to the list.
                was noted that most large                   However he did point out that the
                developments get mice at some stage         Galliard claim covered common areas
                and that residents should take              only
                corrective action immediately if this is
                proving an issue. The costs should be
                borne by the residents although
                CHORA will forward the details to
                CHMC to include this within the
                Galliard claim of work to be
                completed. One idea is to get Galliard
                to fix the holes in all ground and
                basement flats. WH to speak to Gopal
                from CHMC.
South Bank      It was noted that the Lambeth Council       Noted                                     N/a
Traders         are taking a more active approach at
                removing the illegal traders on
                Westminster Bridge and Hungerford
                Bridge.
Elizabeth House Possibility for CHORA to get an             Complete – arranged for 20th April        WH
                overview of the plans for the
                development for Elizabeth House. WH
                to organise for late April.
York House      Possibility for CHORA to get an               Cancelled - Planned for 5th April but   SFM
                overview of the plans for the                 due to Management Company issue
                development for York House. SFM to            this was not finalised. As residents
                organise for April.                           have been informed of this previously
                                                              this will not be rearranged
Local Venue       It is worth trying to get discounts in      Carried Forward - SFM has obtained      SFM
Discounts         the local restaurants, SFM will send        interest from Slug & Lettuce, All bar
                  out a letter to see if they are interested, One, Troia and Loco. Details to be
                  CHORA could offer space on the              discussed further and finalised
                  county hall web site and Stewart
                  Cruttenden has agreed this use of the
                  is acceptable
Planning          Quite a few planning permissions have Complete – SFM to add to web site             SFM
Permissions       been raised in the last few months that
                  will directly impact residents at
                  County hall. SFM prepared a
                  summary and will update this for the
                  next meeting. On agreement at the
                  April meeting these will be updated on
                  the web site



                                                  3 of 12
           CHORA Meeting Minutes


Action           Action Details                           Status                                  Owner
Description
Residents        WH to organise social event for a        Complete - Booked Slug & Lettuce         WH
                                                                      th
Social           Thursday evening in April. Possible      for Wed 28 , 7.30pm. 10 sets of Menu
                 venues – Slug & Lettuce (Tel: 020        B total cost £100 plus £89.50. Options
                 7803 4790), Marriott (020 7928 5200),    ruled out due to cost and uncertainty
                 Peoples Palace (020 7928 9999)           of attendance:
                                                          1) People Palace - Only Thurs
                                                          available in April is 22nd. Would be a
                                                          semi-private area i.e. screened off part
                                                          of the restaurant. Price is £300 (incl.
                                                          VAT) and canapés are £11 per person
                                                          (incl. VAT)
                                                          2) Mariott Hotel - Only Thurs
                                                          available is 22nd. Would be the
                                                          private Parliament Room with nice
                                                          views. Cost £1,116.25 (incl. VAT)
                                                          with discount this is £881.25 (incl.
                                                          VAT). Food is £22.50 per person and
                                                          must have a minimum of 60 people.
Neighbourhood    Residents have an opportunity to         Meeting cancelled previously due as      MB
Watch            reduce contents insurance if County      was being organised by Equity at the
                 Hall is part of a Neighbourhood watch    time the Management Agent were
                 scheme. It is thought that this has      changed
                 already been set up. MB to investigate
                 and get reference number if available
Web site         CHORA though the web site needed a       Carried Forward – amendments have       NC
                 tidy up. NC to review site and make a    been made to update typos. However
                 list of suggested changes and how        more areas need to be considered
                 they could be improved, This to be
                 emailed to CHORA members before
                 next meeting to allow CHORA to
                 provide comments
Freehold         Residents may be interested in           Complete - the White House freehold     SFM
                 purchasing the freehold to County        is about £3 million (note this is an
                 hall. This is in prgress by the          approximation). This amount is no
                 Whitehouse residents. SFM to             indication that County Hall freehold
                 investigate and report back at next      would be the same price, as CH is a
                 meeting.                                 larger site, and therefore possibly a
                                                          larger cost
Minutes          Update web site with the latest          Complete                                WH
                 minutes
Next meeting     Next meeting to be organised for 6th     Complete                                WH
                 April




                                               4 of 12
           CHORA Meeting Minutes


New & Carried Forward Actions

Action Description      Action Details                                                              Owner
CHORA Constitutional    Review and discuss amendments via email before next meeting                 SFM
Welcome Leaflet         The welcome pack is out of date and needs to be updated to reflect:         SFM
                         contact telephone numbers
                         contact email address
                         date stamp to show date of update
                         leisure centre manager
                         Recycle bins
AGM Minutes             BB to complete previous AGM minutes from last year                          BB
Bank                    Signatory details needs to be updated to BB and WH                          BB &
                                                                                                    WH
Complaints /            A logging process needs to be set up and procedures put in place to         MB
Maintenance Log         allow residents to log and track complaints/issues. MB to investigate if
                        Moretons have such a system and how best this should be implemented
                        at County Hall
Carpet Spec             Confirm carpet specification for East & West Blocks                         MB
Christmas Event         The Christmas Market is likely to be replaced by another event. SFM to      SFM
                        investigate
Elizabeth House         WH to arrange notices to be placed on notice boards and web site            WH
Meeting
Local Venue Discounts   SFM to continue discussions with Slug & Lettuce, All Bar One and            SFM
                        Troia. Also to chase up Neds Noodles to see if there is interest. Details
                        of Loco Night to be agreed and distributed

                        Sine the meeting Paul Wilson has confirmed that the Dry Cleaners at the
                        York Road kiosk may be interested in discounts as well.
Planning Permissions    SFM to update and circulate to all, and once agreed as accurate, to be      SFM
                        posted onto the website.
N/S redecoration        MB to arrange a meeting with Paul Wilson and Gopal to discuss               MB
                        proposed plans
Social Event            WH to update notice and arrange to be placed on notice boards and web       WH
                        site
Neighbourhood Watch     MB to confirm details e.g. Neighbourhood Watch registration number          MB
                        as this may be useful for obtaining discount for house contents
                        insurance

                        Meeting – to be arranged
Jubilee Gardens         SFM to copy and distribute the salient material on Jubilee Gardens’         SFM
                        meetings attended by LB in previous year or so, including a form to join
                        the Friends if required
Who Does What           ‘Who does what at County Hall’ sheet – SFM to update to reflect             SFM
                        changes from Equity – and to be posted on notice boards and web-site
                        once agreed as accurate
Web site                NC to review site and make a list of suggested changes and how they         NC
                        could be improved. This to be emailed to CHORA members before next
                        meeting to allow CHORA to provide comments
Minutes                 Update web site with the latest minutes                                     WH


                                                5 of 12
          CHORA Meeting Minutes


Action Description      Action Details                                                                  Owner
Next meeting            WH to arrange next meeting                                                      WH
The following are actions for CHMC Board
Board Minutes           Ensure these are up-to-date on the web site – last posting was for 27 Jan       PW
                        04
Managing Agent          Produce a short report on the process of appointing the managing agent,         PW
Report                  including rationale for appointing Moretons. This is lieu of having gone
                        through a consultation process for this contract which is significant both
                        in terms of value and importance.
Commercial Units        Whether Moretons can take over the commercial units, and whether                PW
                        CHMCL is authorised to act with respect to the commercial units.

Redecoration of North/South Block

PW provided the following comments overview as follows:
Whilst a quarterly update had been prepared for release at the period end, covering aspects such as the
redecoration, events have somewhat overtaken this letter. The Board is expecting to send a general update on
the work with County Hall over the coming weeks.

The Board will be working with their managing agents to define the planned maintenance and redecoration
for the coming years, and to ensure that the sinking funds for the County Hall Blocks are appropriately built
up. A suggested route is to define and complete certain internal redecoration and facilities works, whilst
leaving certain external works until a later date. This balances the real needs of improvement with the
practicality of current monitoring processes and the sinking fund position.

Two main areas that concern the Board before starting the redecoration process are:
1. Control over the process, to ensure quality, efficiency and effectiveness of any works completed. This
   would include all aspects of tendering and detailed cost control, purchase orders and invoicing, and
   operational aspects such as security and confirmation of work done. These underlying systems
   components have been missing to date and despite repeated discussions with Equity these functions had
   not been completed. Some progress was however being made and this will be transferred and discussed
   with the new management agents.

2. Finances & the sinking fund – we are not going to start a redecoration process until we know exactly how
   much money is in the bank, and have sufficient funds held in cash to be able to pay contracted costs.
   Equity had been completing a full reconciliation of the sinking fund prior to current events. This position
   will be handed over to our new managing agents for finalisation. We still need to collect on debtors, which
   will top up the sinking fund to invoiced levels, which we believe will be sufficient to complete certain
   internal works - it's simply a matter of getting the money. We will need to raise further cash for the sinking
   fund at the half year to begin to top it up – obviously with an associated collection process. Realistically
   the company is therefore not going to be in a position to think about contracting until approx. Q4 2004 or
   Q1 2005, as it needs to have cash crystallized before it will enter into contracting. There will be a
   consultation process with both contractors and owners before any such major works are progressed.

The Board will be working with their managing agents to define the planned maintenance and redecoration
for the coming years, and to ensure that the sinking funds for the County hall Blocks are appropriately built
up. A suggested route is to define and complete certain internal redecoration and facilities works, whilst
leaving certain external works until a later date. This balances the real needs of improvement with the
practicality of current monitoring processes and the sinking fund position.



                                                   6 of 12
          CHORA Meeting Minutes



Management Issue

CHORA Question                      PW comment
PW provided an overview of what has been happening over the previous two weeks in relation to the change
of management agent. It was then opened to CHORA for questions
What is the cost of the new         Very close to Equity cost
Management Agent?
What was involved in the tender      Planned to take place Jan to June this year, but due to current
process?                               circumstances this was completed last week
                                     Equity were informed and agreed to the process
                                     A number of questionnaires were sent to managing agents to gauge
                                       interest and to get an overview of their services
                                     The majority of these were returned by Management Agents and a
                                       short list identified. Equity was due to be part of this short list by
                                       default but unfortunately pulled out last week.
                                     The short listed four Management Agents were interviewed and
                                       visited on Monday 29 March
                                     Board then made a blind review and then each member compared
                                       notes that evening. A final two were selected
                                     On Tuesday 30 march the two were re-interviewed and visits were
                                       made to reference sites. A further meeting was called that evening
                                       and a final agent was chosen.

                                        It was agreed that the Board should prepare a summary report of the
                                         process and the actions taken
How was the questionnaire            An ARMA (Association of Residential Managing Agents) standard
developed?                           questionnaire was used and tailored for County Hall requirements by the
                                     Board
How was the position of the          Porters are still employed by Equity but an Equity have now confirmed
Porters resolved?                    that instead of making the Porters redundant as they had planned they
                                     will allow them to remain onsite as the legal process is completed
                                     whereby CHMC takes on the Porters on via TUPE legislation.
                                     Unfortunately many of the Porters have different contracts, e.g.
                                     Cluttons, Equity etc and as such more work is involved to make sure all
                                     are transferred across correctly. This is being addressed and new
                                     standardised contracts are being written and should be resolved soon.
                                     The new management agents are familiar with dealing with Porters and
                                     have already had a discussion with them. They also have introduced an
                                     Employment Handbook that is being used successfully at other sites to
                                     ensure roles and responsibilities and clearer and more defined. The
                                     Board had three options on how to deal with the Porters
                                     1) Employ them direct via CHMC – this reduces the risk of any
                                         Managing Agent removing the staff. It increases the risk to CHMC
                                         as they are now our staff however this is mitigated by taking out
                                         Employers Insurance which costs approx. ½% of the gross wages.
                                         This was the option chosen by the Board
                                     2) Employ them via the new Managing Agents – Management Agents
                                         saw this as an unusual practice. It also leaves CHMC open to



                                                 7 of 12
         CHORA Meeting Minutes


CHORA Question                       PW comment
                                        managing agents removing at their own volition.
                                     3) Employ them via an agency. This would increase the cost by 17.5%
                                        as this would be added to the agency invoices. As CHMC is not
                                        VAT registered (else residents would have VAT on the service
                                        charge) this VAT can not be reclaimed.
Is there any overlap in              No – Equity were on a monthly schedule so there will be no instance
management agent fees?               were we are paying both Agents.

Another Other Business

Role of Chair             WH was vote in as CHORA chair for the next 3 months. Position to be discussed
                          next at July meeting
All Bar One               It was noted that Anne Burke witnessed workmen attempting to erect a fresh air
Ventilation               inlet on the roof of All Bar One. As this work had no planning permission AB
                          raised this to the Porters and Planning officers who visited to ensure the work was
                          removed.


                                    AGENDA – Next meeting - May
   Update on actions from previous meeting
   Review of Constitutional document
   Summer Social
   Bank Signatories
   Local Venue Discounts
   Neighbourhood Watch Scheme
   Website – CHORA section
   AOB




                                                 8 of 12
CHORA Meeting Minutes


CHORA & CHMCL Roles & Responsibilities Matrix

                                      CHMCL                        CHORA
Raison d’etre                To ensure efficient          To represent the views of
                             management of the estate,    owners and residents.
                             in accordance with the
                             terms of the lease.
Management of the            Responsible for              Supports CHMCL and its
estate                       contracting managing         managing agent with
                             agents or employing estate   constructive suggestions
                             management and               and feedback.
                             measuring the
                             performance thereof.
Ensure efficiency and        Responsible for ensuring     Supports CHMCL and its
economy in service           efficiency and economy in    managing agent with
administration.              service administration.      constructive suggestions
                                                          and feedback.
Maintenance and upkeep       Responsible for keeping      Supports CHMCL and its
of County Hall buildings     the buildings and common     managing agent with
                             parts in good and tenable    constructive suggestions
                             repair and decorative        and feedback.
                             order.
Owners and residents         Supports CHORA with          Responsible for informing
rights and interests         constructive suggestions     and educating owners and
                             and feedback.                residents about their rights
                                                          and responsibilities.
Leisure, social and          Responsible for effective    Organises and supports
community events             management of the leisure    internal social activities.
                             centre.
External matters such as     Where applicable,            Represents the views of
use of neighbouring land     manages the contractual      owners and residents
and planning                 framework for charges        through consultation.
applications

CHMCL.          County Hall Management Company Limited
CHORA.          County Hall Owners and Residents Association




                                      9 of 12
CHORA Meeting Minutes


              ELIZABETH HOUSE

       PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT

   CHORA invite you to a presentation to be given by the

                        RHWL Architects on

                Tuesday, 20th April at 6.30pm,

                         at their offices at

         77 Endell Street, Covent Garden, London.



 Numbers are limited so please contact William Howe by 13
                April if wishing to attend:

                 howewilliam@hotmail.com
                      07712 649880




                               10 of 12
CHORA Meeting Minutes


LOCAL PLANNING APPLICATIONS / DEVELOPMENT PROPOSALS IN
WATERLOO AREA

Belvedere Court
Plans by Shell to redevelop the podium area between County Hall and Shell Centre.

Status : The plans were submitted to an Inquiry in December 2003 and a final
statement is expected by June 2004.

Elizabeth House
Plans by P&O to build a 32 storey office tower with approx 71 residential apartments,
by Waterloo station and redevelopment of whole site. York Road will then no longer
run in front of Elizabeth House (between Elizabeth House and the Shell Centre) it will
run behind it (between Elizabeth House and Waterloo Station). The new York Road
will then intersect with Chicheley Street, then rejoin rest of existing York Road by
South Block. The old York Road will be turned into a covered pedestrian piazza.

Status : The initial plans have been submitted to Lambeth and initial comments from
local residents are due in by 8th March 2004.

Westminster Bridge Roundabout and Island Block
Plans by Marlbray Ltd / Frogmore to build an apart-hotel (743 rooms). A hotel with
apartments rather than rooms, and which the apartments will be sold to owners who
then subsequently agree to let them out on long or short term bookings).

Status : The plans have been submitted to Lambeth and initial comments from local
residents are due in by 10th March 2004.

Royal Festival Hall
Refurbishment in two phases. Phase I includes renovation of level 1 riverside with
new community, visitors, retails and catering facilities; construction of a new building
alongside Hungerford Bridge; replacement of boilers, water heaters and ancillary
equipment. Phase II plans not yet seen.

Status : The phase I plans are already agreed.

Becket House and York House
Plans by York and Becket Gp Ltd to build a new building on the site of the current
York House, whilst also improving the site around Becket House, on Lambeth Palace
Road. The building will be 10-13 storeys (similar height to that at present) for offices
including retail, café, restaurant. It is intended to also improve and provide a link via
Lower Marsh to shops and services on Upper Marsh,

Status : The initial plans have been submitted to Lambeth and initial comments from
local residents were due in by 16th February 2004.

Jubilee Gardens
It is understood that plans would include a cultural park – further details to follow.

Status : Information outstanding.


                                        11 of 12
CHORA Meeting Minutes




   CHORA invite all RESIDENTS for
      DRINKS & NIBBLES at the
          SLUG & LETTUCE
       (downstairs function
       room)
         on Wednesday 28
         April
            from 7.30
            pm
   Canapés Provided, Drinks at The
   Bar     ALL WELCOME




                        12 of 12

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:4/22/2013
language:Unknown
pages:12
About