The Revolution of Tablet Computers & Apps
Dr. Satwant Kaur
First Lady of Emerging TechnologiesTM
2013 International Conference on Consumer Electronics
Phone: 650 224 3226
Satwant Kaur, Ph.D.
First Lady of Emerging Technologies
• Master Solutions Architect, HP
Past Positions Held:
• Platform Strategist, Intel Arch Group, Intel
• CTO, Emerging Technologies Group, TIBCO
• Director of Development RAPSS, Symantec
• Chief Architect (Allstate), Computer Associates
• B. Tech in EE, IIT, Delhi.
• M.S. in CS, Oakland University
• Ph.D. in Mobile Internet Protocols, Oakland University
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 2
• 50+ Media Features on Satwant
• 50+ Papers & Publications
• 20+ Distinguished Awards
• 10+ Keynotes at IEEE, ICCE
• 20+ Years at Fortune 100, Academia, National Labs
• 4 Patents while at Intel & CA
Hailed as “First Lady of Emerging Technologies” by:
• Huffington Post
• Money Radio
• Computers2know show
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 3
From Stone Tablet to Computing Tablets
Tablet Computers didn’t exist 5 years ago!
Today, IDC 2013 forecast for tablet = 173
Tablets have revolutionized the consumer
electronics market, and Apps have been a
central part of that.
What will we talk about today:
• What is this Revolution?
• What do Next Gen Tablets look like?
• What do Next Gen Apps look like?
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 4
What is This Revolution?
Next Gen Tablets revolution has taken over!
The tethered world has given way to Tablets
• Smaller, Faster, Easier, Always connected
• Configurable, Lightweight, Plug-n-Play
• Location Aware
• Proximity Communication with NFC &
• Wireless Chargeable
• “instant-on” capability
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 5
How did we interact with Electronics?
Traditional interactions with electronics
• Numerous specialized portable devices
• Controlled individually
• Via specific User Interfaces
Example Devices to Control:
• Point of Sale
• Meter Reading
• Auto Diagnostic
• Bar Code Scan
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 6
Next Gen Interactions with Electronics
Single Tablet User Interface to interact with
various electronic devices:
• Device Specific Apps
• Common interfaces-USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, RF
• Mobile - On the move
• Untethered from Devices
• Gesture based UI
• Control from Remote
• Touch Screens
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 7
Next Gen Tablets: Android Tablet for Smart Wall Oven
Smart Wall Oven powered by Android Tablet
• Tablets can power home devices, including
refrigerators, wall ovens, and other
• Samsung S5PV210 1GHz processor
• Powered by a seven-inch device (called the
Discovery IQ controller) with Android
• Google Play, Video Games
• Wi-Fi connectivity
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 8
Next Gen Tablets: More Functions, Right-Size
• Portable devices to carry in purse, briefcase
• Complete PC functionality via Apps
• Foldable panels to fit pocket
• More functionality - touch screen, sensors
• Portable front ends to back end data center
• General-purpose front ends to back end
devices such as embedded systems
• Mobile Gaming & Graphics (picture- Nvidia
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 9
Next Gen Tablets: Stronger Sensing Ability
Next Gen Tablets are even smarter via the
apps and sensors
• Touch screens, Multi touch
• Augmented Reality
• Movement Sensing
• Location Aware applications
• Sense flight boarding passes, and initiate
data transfer and instantly give us
complete flight details and status.
• Withings Smart Body Analyzer scale
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 10
Next Gen Tablets: Edgeless Touchscreens with Flex Touch
Atmel XSense flexible film based touch sensor
for Touch Enabled Products
• Next-generation Touchscreens are thinner,
lighter, edgeless and curved
• ASUS tablets are using flexible touch sensor
• Flexible touchscreen allows for new form
factors for tablets and new Touch-Enabled
• Flawless touch performance, enhanced noise
immunity, low sheet resistance and low power
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 11
Next Gen Tablets: PaperTab - Flexible Display Tablet
Intel & Plastic Logic:
• PaperTab tablet looks and feels like a sheet
• Can be bent like paper,
• Fully interactive with a flexible high-
resolution 10.7in plastic display and touch
• Second-generation Intel Core i5
• Screens can be joined together for a larger
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 12
Next Gen Tablets: Innovations in Display:
• Transition from LCD/LED in plastic casing
to Transparent Glass Displays
• Extended Displays: Next Gen Tablets with
extending Display to using other home
displays such as television or another
computer or other screens of choice.
• Capacitive contact screens can sense even
light finger on the screen. Touchscreen
hardware is enhanced with multi-touch
capacitive touch screens
• Conceptual from Corning
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 13
Next Gen Tablets: 3D Display without Glasses on Tablet!
Ultra-D displays being produced by Pegatron:
• Ultra-D 3D display glasses-free 2160p images
• We can pull video from HD sources such as
Xbox 360, Apple TV, Netflix, etc. and watch
it on 2160p glasses-free 3D.
• The 3D images are sharp
• Challenge is that there is some bending
effects if you shift your position too much.
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 14
Next Gen Tablets: 84 inch Touchscreen Display
3M's 84-inch Tablet:
• Massive Display for schools, museums,
• Can be used in conference rooms and
• It can be hung on a wall like a TV
• It can sit on legs as a table.
• Can be used as a table mode
• Resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels (4K display)
• Display connects to a computer via HDMI
• Runs Windows 7 Gesture Works App
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 15
Next Gen Tablets: Memristors – Non Volatile Storage!
Electrical circuits are built with three basic
4th Component: Memristor (Memory Resistor)
• Like Resistor, it creates and maintains flow
of electrical current across a device
• Unlike a resistor, it “remembers” charges
after it loses power
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 16
Next Gen Tablets: Fuel Cell Charger
Nectar Power Fuel Cell Charger:
• Fuel cell converts the chemical energy from a
fuel (such as butane) into electricity through
a chemical reaction.
• Fuel cell charger for Mobile Phones, cameras,
or any other USB-powered device.
• Disposable fuel pods are filled with butane.
• 1 Pod provides iPhone charge that last 2
• Retains its power far more effectively than a
• Unattended Nectar loses 10% charge in 1 year
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 17
Next Gen Tablets: Tablet Wireless Charging Mat
Tablet to Qi (chee) charge a phone wirelessly:
• Qi is an interface standard for inductive
electrical power transfer over distances of up
to 1.6 inches
• Mobile device is placed on top of the Tablet
power transmission pad, which charges it via
• The tablet can charge any Qi-compatible
• Devices compatible with Qi wireless charging
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 18
Next Gen Tablets: Phablet - Phone & Tablet!
Huawei Ascend Mate Phablet
• 6.1-inch Display
• Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
• Quad-core 1.5 GHz K3V3 HiSilicon processor
• Augmented reality technology for navigation
and support for gloves input for the touch
• Ascend Mate has dual mics, in order to make
the phone calls more accurate, compensating
its size by placing a mic at each ends of the
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 19
Next Gen Tablets: Rip & Flip Laptop and Tablet (1 in 1)
HP Tablet HP ENVY x2 (two devices in one)
• A Windows 8 notebook with HD Touch display
• Tablet slides off when you want to carry less
• A separate battery in each device takes you
from day into night without worries about
• Goes beyond the keyboard and mouse and
gets more from Windows 8.
• Ability to Swipe and tap using multi-touch
gestures on the HD Touch display
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 20
Next Gen Tablets: LiquidProofing with Super Hydrophobic
Liquipel 2.0 LiquidProof nanocoating for Tablets
• Liquid-repellant microscopic coating
• After application, it lasts forever.
• Becomes part of the device it is applied upon
• Virtually untraceable
• Does not compromise the look, feel and
performance of the tablet
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 21
Next Gen Tablets: Some More Features
• Medical Scanners: 3D camera for medical scanning and imaging.
• Multiple scanners: Magnetic Stripe Reader (MSR), Barcode Scanner (BCS),
• Flash memory solid-state storage drives: Tablets can have on-board flash
memory instead of hard disks with moving parts. Solid-state memory has better
resistance to damage during mobility.
• Multiple Communications Protocols: 3G mobile telephony capabilities; Wireless
or Wi-Fi connectivity for communication between tablets. Bluetooth for
connecting peripherals and communicating with local devices in place of a wired
USB connection. Wireless Power, Wireless Internet and near-field
communication are future and will make chargers and cords irrelevant.
• Versatility: Next Generation Tablets will serve multiple functions for multiple
consumers such as e-book, surfing web; TV entertainment
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 22
Next Gen Tablets: Even More Features
• Digital Data & Documents: Next Gen Tablets would give us seamless access to
the files stored on a home PC, or work PC, or Cloud, over cellular or Wi-Fi
• Handwriting recognition: can be done with stylus.
• Gesture and voice recognition: along with intelligent contextual knowledge of
local cultures and languages will be a great asset.
• User Location-awareness: Making tablets location-aware with GPS like apps
allows the information to be better served and locally relevant.
• Tougher casing and resistant: to a fall or a dip in the water
• Endless Battery life: wireless power transfer from ambient surroundings
• Universal standardized port: A single Universal standardized port to include all
peripheral functionality for current USB, SD Card, audio and HD video
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 23
What role do Apps Play in this Revolution?
Tablets are like body. Apps are like soul.
Apps bequeath life to the Tablet.
Apps are ubiquitous software applications that
reside on Tablets
Apps are used for
• healthcare facilities
• Children use it for learning
• Pets use it to play.
Mobile Apps along with Mobile Table enable this
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 24
Next Gen Apps: Operations Automations
OPERATIONS AUTOMATION APPS:
• Organizations can streamline operations and
decrease cost by using real time inventory
management apps and assembly line apps such
as order tracking into in their business
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 25
Next Gen Apps: Security Apps
• Ability to lock doors via your mobile device,
such as tablet or Smartphone
• Remote locking is a particularly useful feature
and secures and blocks the SIM card if your
phone is lost or stolen.
• The additional anti-theft protection then lets
users remotely locate the device. An
advanced malware scanning system also blocks
fraudulent websites and apps downloads that
may contain viruses
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 26
Next Gen Apps: HealthCare Apps
• HealthCare Reference Apps
• Educational apps
• EMR & Patient Monitoring Apps
• Imaging Apps
• Point of care Apps for physicians to use with
patients at the bed side.
• Personal care Apps - Diabetes Buddy
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 27
Next Gen Apps: Snapchat – the ephemeral sharing Apps
• Value the ephemeral.
• Great conversations are magical because
they are shared, enjoyed, but not saved.
• You can share pictures, etc., but the history
of the postings is not stored forever or
shared beyond their friends.
• The fragment will only remain in the memory
of their so called friends
• Avoid problems with Facebook and
Instragram where sharing of content gets
into privacy and legal issues
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 28
Next Gen Apps: TV on Tablets on Road or anywhere else!
RCA Mobile Android Tablet with TV
• Dual TV tuner: Standard over-the-air tuner
for Digital TV signals & Dyle mobile TV tuner
• 130 mobile television stations
• 8-inch Display with a 1024×768 resolution
• 1GHz ARM Cortex A5 processor
• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, HDMI, microUSB, USB,
• Battery: 4 hours of mobile TV
• Real-time signal strength display
• Prog info & closed caption & language
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 29
Next Gen Apps: SideView App Enhanced TV experience
Sony TV SideView App on Android Tablets
• Ability to control home entertainment
systems from our mobile tablets
• Users can browse the Electronic Program
Guide (EPG) to find out program details, cast,
crew, related shows to what's been watched
in the past, without interruption to what's
currently on the TV.
• Ability to use the app as a remote control,
allowing you to change the channel, adjust the
volume and press the power button.
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 30
Next Gen Apps: CES Mobile App Anywhere Anytime!
CES App- preshow planning & onsite navigation
• Dashboard: up-to-the-minute exhibitor,
speaker, and conference program information
• Sync MyCES: Create your schedule, One click
• Alerts: receive Real-time communications
• International CES News
• Follow and join: show chatter with Twitter
• Rate the conference sessions
• Locate exhibitors: interactive show maps
• Connect: with colleagues using the Friends
• Share event photos: Photo Gallery
• Watch CES Mobile videos
• Find Las Vegas Hotel and Travel Info
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 31
Next Gen Apps: Learning Tablet for Kids!
XO Learning Tablet by Sakar Industries
• 7” Android tablet,Internet browsing, Skype,
chat , Google Play app store
• “Dreams” : educational journeys such as
“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
• Options include artist and athlete, banker and
chef, mathematician and musician, etc
• Parent Dashboard: adults can control the
content the kids can access
• Everything done on the tablet is automatically
logged to the Parent Dashboard Journal
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 32
Next Gen Apps: Tablets & Apps not just for Humans!
Cat Toys 3D App for Tablets
• Pets pickup on technology very quickly
• Cat going crazy with Cat Toy Apps on tablet
• Squeaky mouse (or flying raven) runs around
the screen and runs away if cat hits it
• Every time the bird went off the screen the
cat thought it was going to be available to
catch or even under the device.
• Interesting Challenge: The advertising is on
the bottom pane and every so often she would
hit and it would have to be cleared
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 33
Next Gen Tablets running Next Gen Apps are in!
More Innovations are on the Way!!
The Revolution of the Tablets Computers and the Apps is
The Future’s so bright we gotta wear shades.
Phone: 650 224 3226
Dr Satwant Kaur, First Lady of Emerging Technologies TM 34