copy and paste Agenda by keara

VIEWS: 22 PAGES: 5

									Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf General Membership Meeting Minutes Deaf Access Building March 6, 2004
Page 1 of 5

Call to Order: 10:25 a.m. by President Laura Walker-Arrington Quorum was present. I. Approval of Minutes GM 04.01 Motion: [Taff-Watson, Binko] Approval of June ’03, September ’03, and December ’03 Minutes posted on ARID website. PASSED II. Board Reports A. President (see “New Business”) B. Vice President 1. Board is in process of developing amendments to by-laws specifying responsibilities and requirements of local affiliate chapters a. Jonesboro and Rogers expressed interest in local chapter affiliation b. Linda Stauffer will research exemplary local affiliate chapters of other states and report findings to Will Gorum 2. Will Gorum announced acceptance of Presidency for the duration of Laura WalkerArrington’s maternity leave. Currently being updated on essential issues. C. Secretary 1. Minutes to be archived were obtained from Linda Stauffer 2. UALR Disability Support Services approved the usage of their high-speed scanner for archival project D. Treasurer (President reported on behalf of Treasurer) 1. Financial Report disseminated 2. Linda Stauffer requested projected budget for next fiscal year E. Member-at-Large (Bonnie Barham) 1. Desires to see a 2-track system (beginner & advanced) for future workshops III. Committee Reports A. By-Laws: No report B. Editorial Committee 1. Current editor will resign in June--seeking replacement

Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf General Membership Meeting Minutes Deaf Access Building March 6, 2004
Page 2 of 5

C. Membership Committee: No report D. Program Committee 1. Sean Broderick Workshop was successful with great attendance and feedback 2. Summer 2004 symposium for educational interpreters at the beginner to intermediate level Presenters: Shelly Lawrence, Patty Lessard, Zania Musteen, Flint Fears, Linda Stauffer, and Karin Binko. a. Further discussion led to consideration of an additional Advanced level workshop led by symposium presenters 3. Fall 2004- currently planning a workshop in Rogers, AR around October or November 4. December 2004- Christmas Social. No formalized plans yet. 5. Request was made for workshop in Jonesboro area. Program Committee is in negotiations with Ruth Treadway. 6. January/February 2005- Workshop at Harding University. Presenter to be announced at a later date E. CMP Committee 1. Busy processing applications for C.E.U.s—workshops, PINRA, Independent Studies, and Cosponsorships F. Nomination Committee 1. June 2004, two Member-at-Large positions will be available G. Sunshine Committee 1. Sent sympathy card to Barbara Northup 2. Will send card to Shirley Herald H. Scholarship Committee 1. Several applicants have been approved for scholarship 2. Complaints reported regarding overly stringent scholarship requirements. Myra volunteered to assist Scholarship Chair in editing requirements. I. Fundraising Committee 1. Vice President reported that fundraising efforts are needed due to financial losses from recent workshops and publication costs of ARIDian. 2. Suggestions for fundraisers: Karin Binko’s husband’s company products sold at next year’s Biennial Conference, Region IV Conference, and to ARID members; Public fundraising at events such as Traveler’s baseball games, etc. Motion 04.02: [Woodroof, Hollingsworth] Move that Karin Binko investigate possible products for

Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf General Membership Meeting Minutes Deaf Access Building March 6, 2004
Page 3 of 5

fundraising and make recommendations to the Board. PASSED 3. Jami Hollingsworth volunteered to serve on Fundraising Committee to assist Karin Binko in selecting products for consideration.

J. Ad Hoc Committee 1. Technical Committee: Suggestion made to relocate minutes on ARID website for easier access. 2. Licensure Committee: Board is currently inviting people to serve on this committee. Planning to start composition of a licensure bill to the Arkansas House of Representatives IV. Old Business A. Child care 1. Laura is discussing possible on-site child care with Melissa Bohay 2. Suggestion was made to provide information sheet listing available licensed child care centers and pay rates B. Mission Statement 1. Cheryl Thomas has printed copies of Mission Statement that should soon be delivered to Melissa Mills V. New Business A. Student Liaison 1. Suggestion made to amend requirements to say “declared major of interpreting OR has QAST 1/1” 2. Advertisement for Student Liaison (including reason why needed) will be emailed to ARID listserv and made known to UALR students C. Program/Workshops 1. Discussion occurred regarding setting parameters for beginning, intermediate and advanced level workshops Motion 04.03 [Binko, Taff-Watson] Move to establish and ad-hoc committee to make recommendations to the board regarding criteria for workshop target audiences. PASSED 2. Myra Taff-Watson, Linda Stauffer, Betty Steed and Bonnie Barham volunteer to serve on this new ad-hoc committee. 3. Issue tabled until target audience is clarified. To be further discussed at next GM meeting.

Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf General Membership Meeting Minutes Deaf Access Building March 6, 2004
Page 4 of 5

D. Interpreters for AAD workshop on March 13th 1. 2. 3. 4. Two voice interpreters are needed for conference Compensation for service will be a discount on future ARID workshops Suggestion made that AAD pay for interpreters Issue tabled

E. State of the Region 1. Conference is looking for sponsors to donate items a. 250 items for ditty bags b. Silent auction items 2. Potential sponsors include RSA and PEC to Motion 04.04 [Woodroof, Binko] Move that ARID purchase a basket from Gifts of Arkansas not to exceed $125.00. PASSED. Motion 04.05 [Stauffer, Taff-Watson] Move that Jami Hollingsworth and Karin Binko purchase 200 of the same item for the ditty bags not to exceed $100.00. PASSED 3. 4. 5. 6. Conference also seeking interpreters and support staff Glenace Humphrey is running again for Region IV Representative Conference call is April 3rd—Laura Walker-Arrington and Will Gorum are to participate. Region IV looking at new Region IV pins

VI. Announcements A. Workshop to be held immediately after GM meeting B. Biennial planning committee meeting is today at 1:00 p.m. Meeting Adjourned: 12:35 p.m.

Motion Number 04.01

Motion [Taff-Watson, Binko] Approval of June ’03, September ’03, and December ’03 Minutes posted on ARID website. PASSED [Woodroof, Hollingsworth] Move that Karin Binko investigate possible products for fundraising and make recommendations to the Board. PASSED

04.02

Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf General Membership Meeting Minutes Deaf Access Building March 6, 2004
Page 5 of 5

04.03

[Binko, Taff-Watson] Move to establish and ad-hoc committee to make recommendation to the Board regarding criteria for workshop target audiences. PASSED [Woodroof, Binko] Move that ARID purchase a basket from Gifts of Arkansas not to exceed $125.00. PASSED [Stauffer, Taff-Watson] Move that Jami Hollingsworth and Karin Binko purchase 200 of the same item for the ditty bags not to exceed $100.00. PASSED

04.04

04.05

Action Items: Laura: 1. Submit advertisement on listserv for newsletter editor

Respectfully Submitted,

Melissa Mills


								
To top