Appendix B: Internet Use in Research
RESEARCH CONDUCTED VIA THE INTERNET MUST PROVIDE THE SAME LEVEL OF PROTECTION AS ANY OTHER KIND OF RESEARCH.
1. Select all of the recruitment methods that will be used. Check all that apply. N/A
Note: If an advertisement or posting is modified in the future, you must file an Amendment
form and gain IRB approval for the change before it can be posted or used. *WSU Pipeline Snippets
See IRB policy on advertising: http://irb.wayne.edu/policies/7-4_advertising_for_research_participants.pdf **Listserv
*WSU Pipeline Snippets: Snippet is the appropriate place to post recruitment **Websites/Internet - list each
announcements on WSU Pipeline. Most Depts/Divisions have designated snippet managers. one:
Snippet requirements are 256 characters for the title (includes spaces and punctuation), 512
characters for the summary and a link and image can be included. IRB approval to recruit
students &/or employees is also needed to advertise on Pipeline. MI Alliance for Clinical &
Translational Science (MACTS,
**If you are using a publically available social media site for recruiting only: (1) gain IRB DCaTS) Research participant
approval via Appendix B, (2) gain permission from the site administrators and (3) post to sites website
only where you have gained permission to advertise. If the site is not publically available: Other:
a letter of permission/support is needed in order to gain IRB approval.
a. Are these recruitment methods publicly available? No – Attach a letter of support from each of the site owners
2. Does this study make use of an internet survey service (e.g., No (skip to question #3)
Zoomerang, Survey Monkey, etc.)? Yes -- answer below
a. What is the name of the internet survey service?
3. Does this study make use on an academic internet participant No (skip to question #4)
pool? Yes -- answer below
a. What is the name of the pool?
b. Provide a Letter of Support or an IRB approval Attached:
4. State location of ad/notice/flyer and provide verbatim copies. Location: N/A
5. What type of data will be collected? Surveys/questions N/A
(Check all that apply.) Email correspondence
Chat room observation
Bulletin board postings
6. How will the data be stored? (Check all that apply.) On a secure server N/A
PI’s personal computer
7. Who will have access to the data? N/A
8. Describe the confidentiality plan for the data (personal N/A
identifying information must be kept separate from all data).
9. How will informed consent be obtained? Electronic Information Sheet with “check box” for consent N/A
(Check all that apply.) E-mail with name
Appendix B Page 1 of 1 Form Date: 2/2013