Youth Ideas - Teaching Youth
How to Study the Bible
Basic principles to help youth who are
studying the Bible understand it more
effectively and apply it accurately to life
Five Principles of Bible study
• Ask the right questions.
• Write down what you observe
• Apply your discovery to your
life and thoughts.
• Study the Bible systematically.
• Strive to exhaust the passage
you are studying.
Bible Study Tools in Order of
• Translation of the Bible
• Bible Dictionary
Methodical Bible study
• Pray for the Holy Spirit’s
guidance and insight.
• Make observations by asking
• Seek answers from the
scripture and then tools in
order of importance.
• Apply the scripture to your life.
Questions to Ask When Studying
• What is the historical setting?
• What is the literary form?
• What are the key words?
• What important grammatical
structure do I observe?
• What is the tense of the verbs?
• Is there something contrasted?
• Is there a paradox?
• Is the passage dependant on a
• Ask six questions: What? Who?
Where? When? Why? and How?
Application of a Bible Passage
• Is there a promise to claim?
• Is there a command to obey?
• Is there a sin to confess?
• Is there a teaching to absorb?
Common Pitfalls of Youth Studying
• Looking past the obvious for the
• Failure to consider the historical in
rushing to application.
• Narrow vision. (All scripture is true
all the time.)
• Lack of discernment as to what is
cultural and what is eternal.
• Lack of respect for God’s Word.
(God’s Word means what it
means, regardless of our beliefs or
• Superstitious approach to God’s
Get Help on Your Youth Sermons
Creative Sermon Ideas
This 100 Page e-Book Includes All The Help You
Need To Prepare Powerful, Life-Changing Youth
Sermons That Will Turn Your Preaching Around
And Make Your Youth Sit Up And Listen! Includes
7 Complete Sermons.
–> I want More Youth Sermon Ideas…