Explore Great Places in Roatan
The island of Roatan is rated as one of the top 3 best places in the world for snorkeling and scuba
diving. We receive over 1 miillion cruise ship visitors a year and about 200,000 hotel vacationers. All
of Roatan island is surrounded by a colorful barrier reef full of tropical fish and coral. The majority of
the island´s visitors come from cruise ships located in Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay in French
Harbour. Many come to snorkel the reefs off West Bay Beach, a perfect white sand beach with dense
coral and great visibility only 20 feet from shore.
The most popular creatures seen in the reef are: lion fish, sea turtles, sting rays, parrot fish, queen
angel fish, flunders, groupers, barracuda and the occasional reef shark or nurse shark but they are
If you are visiting on a cruise ship the best Roatan cruise excursions are:
1)Doing a snorkel trip onboard a boat or sailboat. Motor boats are quicker but there is nothing more
romantic then a sail boat.
2) Ziplining though the jungle and playing with monkeys and parrots on a Roatan extreme canopy tour.
3) Swimming with the dolphins at Anthonys´s Key, where you can either get in waist deep water with
the dolphins or actually snorkel with 28 of them without any trainers.
The best Roatan snorkeling is at these dive sites:
1) Texas- A site located at the western tip of Roatan. This site has large underwater canyons, deep
crevases, 120 ft visibility and you will frequently find large schools of groupers and jacks. The
depths range from 10 feet to 80 feet.
2) Spooky Channel- A site located in Sandy bay , a naturally formed channel with many swim
thoughts and typically crystal clear visibility. The siteis known for its large sponge corals,
many sea fans and turtles which pass through. The depths range from 10 feet to 120 feet.
3) Pigeon Cay- a tiny deserted island on the far east end of Roatan. Pigeon Cay is one of the most
difficult sites to access but this has spared it from most of the ecological damage caused by
humans. This site is one of the most colorful dive sites in Roatan and has large schools of fish
typically swirling the island.
When you are planning your next dive and snorkel vacation make sure to visit the island of Roatan,
located off the cost of Honduras and easily accessible by cruise ship, Continental or Delta!