Managing the Co-curricular Elements
of the HEAR
(Keele University Case Study)
Planning & Project Officer
Identify what can be included
Identify what should be included
Think about how to record it
Diversity of stakeholder interests
Data quality and availability
Data verification and assurance
Timeliness and Longevity
Relationship with PDP/CV
(HEI document vs student document)
Single Honours Dual/Joint Honours
The Keele approach
Two layers of protocols:
Layer 1 – Institutional (what we can
Layer 2 – Specific (how we include it)
Layer 1 Protocols
1. The activity is verifiable and is endorsed by the University.
2. The opportunity to undertake the activity is open to all
students, in principle.
3. Information included is presented factually, not opinion-
4. The activity/outcome is a direct part of the academic
5. The role/activity/outcome is defined by regulation.
6. The role/activity/position supports a University process,
which is normally determined by election (student) or
7. The activity/role supports wider University policy and
Layer 2 Protocols (example)
The position must be within a Students’ Union
The position must be recorded in the approved
version of the Committee’s constitution.
The post-holder must have been elected to the
The post-holder must have held and contributed
to the post for a minimum of one semester.
Scholarships Student course
Language study Sporting
Study abroad achievements
Volunteering Attributes “Keele