Business game for young specialists,
TOP-managers and OPTIMUS team.
Business game. 23 April 2009
Formula of success -
together to the future
Main activities Jan Feb March April
2009 2009 2009. 2009
1 Initiation of idea. Including to the HR program 2009.
2 Discussion with the Optimus project’s leader Konopatskiy V.P. The decision was
made to organize the business game.
3 Meeting with the OPTIMUS members: discussion of ideas, tasks, purposes, setting
4 Motivation meeting with Group Engineers. Discussion of idea, presentation of
Andrey Moroz – Optimus member.
5 Teams’ formation. Selection the interested employees to take part in the business
game. Interviews, drawing procedure.
6 Course of oriented training for the game participants by the OPTIMUS project
7 Official start of the game. Setting tasks and aims.
8 Defining the consultants from the OPTIMUS project
9 Defining the consultants from the corresponding services
10 Work in teams. Meetings with consultants. Discussion of the teams' decisions.
11 Defining the list of the expert committee among TOP-managers of the enterprise.
12 Carrying out the business game. 23.04
Realization of the creative potential of young
specialists, enlargement of their view concerning the
enterprise work, strengthening the feel of involving to
the enterprise activity, development of management
and leadership qualities
Proposal of improvement ways of the priority spheres
of the enterprise activity and development of
presentations for optimization of these spheres
The priority spheres of enterprise activity
• Work and Fire safety
• Environmental protection
• Quality of the products
• Working assets (current capital)
• Production cost
The teams were formed by the priority spheres of optimization
Key issues for
1. Concept and proposals of the team
for improvement of enterprise activity in
the selected sphere;
2. The general task for all teams:
Development of decision by the
concrete production task – open-pit
filling in No.1 of M&BC.
Each team has task – according to the selected sphere of enterprise
activity to prepare the optimization proposals.
Steps for task realization:
Review the existing situation at OJSC ArcelorMittal Kryviy Rih in the selected
sphere of activity;
Defining the level of satisfaction by this situation;
Analysis of data and factors, influencing on the selected sphere of activity:
а) identification of the useless tools;
b) increase of effectiveness of useful tools;
c) reduction of surplus expenses;
d) development of new effective tools.
Development of the unique strategy of optimization of production and economy
activity by the selected sphere of activity taking into account the existing methods
and approaches, which are used by the OPTIMUS project’s members.
Technical task - filling in of open-pit – 1 of M&BC
• The possibility has emerged since 1985 as a result of open-pit mining No.1 to storage of overburden
rocks into the mined-out space Since this period the filling in by the overburden rocks is performed
around the perimeter of open-pit No.1. However, to the definite moment, taking into account some
circumstances, such an opportunity can be excluded, namely:
- open-pit No.1 is half-filled with water, but in native and world practice today there is no experience of
filling in the high piles into the water with the level of under flooding more than 170 m;
- during the process of open-pit No.1 filling in the enlargement of prism width occurs of the possible
rock falls to the limited points, after which the work of loading operations is not safe;
- the size of the open-pit by the brow of upper level is 900х900 m.
• At the moment delivering the overburden rocks is performed by the railway transport to the waste
dumps at the distance of up to 18 km. The mentioned dumps of the overburden rocks will
not provide the storage of all required volume of stripping the overburden by the residual capacity of
open-pit No.2-бис, it is necessary to use the significant expenses for railway transportation.
•The mined space of open-pit No.1 is close to the open-pit
No.2-бис, for this reason the decision of the safe storage of
the overburden rocks of open-pit No.1 is economically profitable.
•The residual capacity of open-pit No.1 is enough for storage
of barren rocks for all time of mining the open-pit No.2-бис.
Requirements to the preparation of the
The presentation should consist of slides in PowerPoint;
The use of different visual effects, animation, photos,
pictures is welcome;
Time duration of the presentation – no more than
The evaluation of presentation will be carried out by the
-actuality (significance of the proposed ideas
-progressiveness (use of modern science and technology
achievements in the proposed decisions);
-originality (ability to present your decision effectively);
-reasonableness (advantages and strengths of the
-reality (ability to implement and practical use of the
5 teams of young specialists
The expert committee of TOP-managers:
- Sheremet Vladimir – COO
- Konopatskiy Vitaliy – Director for Economy
- Baygush Anatoliy – Director for HR and Labour
- Kucher Vasiliy – Director for Quality
- Kirilenko Vladimir – Work Safety Director
- Chelombitko Aleksandr – Director for Production
- Chikalo Oksana – Director for Corporate communication and PR
- Kozenko Georgiy – Director of M&BC
- Drashko Vladimir – Deputy Director of testing – Chief metrologist
- Karaman Tatyana – Deputy Finance Director – Head of Department of finance
- Lisovenko Aleksandr – Deputy Director of economy – Head of planning and economic department
- Kudrich Elena – Deputy head of planning and economic department
- Savitskiy Vitaliy – Deputy Director – head of department of water protection, waste and chemical
things use and land protection
- Ostapenko Sergey – Head of MD of M&BC
- Uchitel Aleksandr – Pro-rector of the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine, D.Ing.
The support groups of the teams
The consultants, who worked with the teams:
> OPTIMUS members: > by departments:
- Shorokhov Oleg - Kuzmenko Elena, Gerasimov Roman (Service of Environmental protection)
- Efremov Aleksandr - Kostenko Vitaliy, Zadesenets Evgeniy (Service of Director of Quality)
- Moroz Andrey - Yaroshenko Natalia, Boyko Elena (Department of Finance)
The 1st place – team No.3 Topic of the 1st issue –
Current assets (working capital)
Makarenko Maksim (Open-hearth shop)
Podgalniy Aleksandr (Central Electrical
Koptev Denis (Foundry-forging production)
Kucher Denis (Shop of repair of metallurgical
Evpak Artem (Service of Automated technical
Shubin Igor (Department of technical control)
Terehov Dmitriy (Mechanical repair complex)
The 2nd place – team No.1 Topic of the 1st issue –
Work and Fire safety
Zozulya Aleksey (Steelmaking department)
Kononenko Ivan (Division of project planning,
confirmation, monitoring and
Karpechenko Gennadiy (Technical
Rudnitskiy Evgeniy (Blooming shop - 1)
Irhin Evgeniy (Mine administration, M&BC)
Vitryak Evgrniy (Blast-furnace shop - 1)
The 3d place – team No.4 Topic of the 1st issue –
Klimov Igor (Service of automated technical
Vysochin Leonid (Work and Fire safety
Nechiporuk Aleksandr (Sintering shop – 2,
Istomin Igor (Blooming shop - 2)
Dashko Nikita (Sintering shop – 1, M&BC)
Ratushnyy Yuriy (Section rolling shop - 1)
Teams, won in the nominations:
“The most extraordinary decision” “The brightest presentation”
Team 4 Team 3
“The best team work” “The experts’ sympathy”
Team 1 Team 2
Quiz of expert committee’s members:
“All presented ideas during the game are worth to be
considered. But the most important – 5 teams of like-minded
persons, who can generate ideas”.
A.Baygush, Director HR and Labour:
“The benefit of the game is obvious for everybody. It gives
an opportunity to look at common things, which we see
every day, in another manner ”.
O.Chikalo, Director of corporate communication and
“Well done! The main participants of the game were young
specialists. Namely young people can generate the most
extraordinary decisions and today they confirmed it”.
A.Uchitel, Pro-rector of the National Metallurgical
Academy of Ukraine, D.Ing.:
“The game turned out well. It is great that at the enterprise
such business games are organized. The practical ideas
come into the world from the most fantastic projects”.