Microsoft Word Graphics: Text Boxes, Drawing and AutoShapes
DIRECTIONS FOR BUMPER STICKERS (Jan-01) Accessing and using the template:
o o o o Go to My Computer/MS Class/Literature/Grade 6/Bumper Sticker. Open the Bumper Sticker Template. Save the template as a document to My Documents folder. Use Save As: with your last name and the word Bumper (Example: Bach Bumper). Make sure that the Drawing Toolbar is on the screen. If not, go to the View Menu/Toolbars and select Drawing.
TO PUT YOUR NAME ON THE BUMPER STICKER
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Left click inside the narrow rectangle in the lower right corner of the bumper sticker. Type in your first and last name. Leave the little handles around the text box. Very slowly move the cursor from the button of the text box to the top border line. When the crossed arrows show up, right click and click on Format Text Box. Go to the Fill section and click on the down arrow next to the Color box. Click on the No Fill button. Go to the Line section and click on the down arrow next to the Color box. Click on the No Line button. Click OK.
TO PUT BACKGROUND COLORS ON YOUR BUMPER STICKERS
1. 2. 3. Right click on the bumper sticker rectangle and select Format Auto Shape. In the section that says Fill, go to the down arrow next to Color. You can choose a solid color, or a Fill Effects (a gradient of one or two colors) for your background. If you choose a gradient, you can work with one color or with two colors. Click on one color and use the down arrow to choose your first color. If you want two colors blending together, then choose two colors and choose the colors that you want by using the down arrows in the color boxes. You can also choose your shading style below in the Fill Effects window.
TO PUT A TEXT BOX ON YOUR BUMPER STICKER ***** Make sure that the Drawing Toolbar is at the bottom of the screen. If it is not, go to the View Menu/Toolbars/Drawing.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Go to the Drawing Toolbar at the bottom of the window. Click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with the capital A on it. When you move your cursor to your bumper sticker, you will see a cross. Put your cursor where you want it on the bumper sticker, hold down the left mouse button and drag to the size that you want. When you type you can change the text size, color, style, etc. by highlighting your text and making those changes. You can change the width of the border line by right clicking on the text box and increasing the weight of the line. Make sure that you get rid of the text box around the text that you have typed into your signs. Do this by right clicking on the text box, selecting Format Text Box, and choosing no line under the section called Line.
TO FORMAT THE TEXT BOX (Change the border width and color, change the background color of the text box)
1. 2. 3. 4. Put the cursor on one of the border lines of the text box. You will get crossed arrows. Right click and select Format Text Box. Make sure that you are in the part of the Format Text Box window that says Colors and Lines. You can change the width of your text box by increasing the Weight. You can also get rid of the text box border by going to the section that says Lines. Next to Color, click the down arrow next and select No Line.
WORD ART: special lettering effects for a title or few words ***** Go to the View Menu/Toolbars and select Word Art, if it doesn't have a check mark next to it.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Click on the bumper sticker to get "handles" on it. At the bottom of the screen on the Drawing Toolbar, click the large blue A is on a slant. Choose the style that you want and click OK. Choose the size that you want; do not choose anything less than 18 pt. Choose the font style that you want. Decide if you want it to be Bold or Italicized. Click OK. You can use the buttons on the Word Art toolbar to rotate your words, to change the line colors, to set the alignment, to change the spacing between the letters, etc.
1. 2. 3. 4. To draw your own designs, go to the AutoShapes down arrow on the Drawing Toolbar. Select Lines and choose the squiggly one that is called Scribble. You can fill an enclosed shape or form by clicking on the form and selecting the paint can icon (Fill Color) on the Drawing Toolbar. You can change the color and width of the lines by right clicking on the shape that you drew. Select the line color, the fill color and the weight (width) of the lines. (You can also use the buttons on the Drawing Toolbar, as long as you have selected the drawing that you want to change.)
OTHER OPTIONS FOR DRAWINGS AUTOSHAPES
1. 2. Click on the AutoShapes down arrow on the Drawing Toolbar. You can select from a variety of automatically shaped objects. Once you have selected a shape, just put the cursor where you want it, hold down the left mouse button and drag until you have the dimensions of the shape that you want.
RECTANGLES, OVALS, ARROWS AND SHADOWS
1. You can choose to make a perfect rectangle/ square or oval/circle or arrow by selecting the appropriate icons on the Drawing Toolbar. 2. If you want, you can add shadows by clicking on the shape and then selecting one of the two shadow icons on the far right of the Drawing Toolbar. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Saving your bumper stickers:
o o Save your unfinished file to My Documents folder. Save your folder.
finished file to My Computer/MS Group/Nardine/Finished Bumper Stickers/your class period