Questions, Chapter 9, Section 2
Answer the questions on your own paper, short answer. You do not have to write the
1. How does groundwater form?
2. How much of all freshwater on Earth is groundwater?
3. What does permeable mean?
4. What does impermeable mean?
5. How deep does groundwater go?
6. What is an aquifer?
7. What is the area where all the pores in the rock are filled with water?
8. What is the upper surface of the zone of saturation called?
9. How do many people get their water?
10. How far does a good well need to go?
11. What is an artesian well?
12. What is a spring?
13. What has to happen to make a hot spring?
14. What is a geyser?
15. What is the name of Yellowstone’s famous geyser?
16. How often does the geyser ( in number 15) erupt?
17. What’s the difference between a stalactite and a stalagmite?
18. What is a sinkhole?
19. What are three things that may happen when rain falls and becomes groundwater?
20. What rock is easily dissolved by carbonic acie?