ENSURING SMS CONFORMITY
REFERENCE AC 120-59
ICAO/FAA SMS STANDARD
For our Purposes…
ICAO/FAA SMS FRAMEWORK
REFERENCE DOC 9859
FAA SMS ASSURANCE GUIDE IS THE BEST
DOCUMENT TO USE WHEN YOU AUDIT
CURRENTLY THERE IS NO ONE STANDARD
The Internal Evaluation Program (IEP) will
• Provide a comprehensive method to
verify continuous monitoring
•Verify compliance, and conformity to
SAFETY OFFICER IEP DUTIES
• Monitor and report to senior management on all activities
that may have an impact on safety.
•Establish a reporting system that provides for a timely and
free flow of safety related information.
•Develop and maintain a database of incident/accident
information to monitor trends.
Minimum Elements of the IEP:
(1) Regulatory compliance
(2) Compliance with company policies and procedures.
(3) Review of manuals for currency, accuracy.
(4) Accident/incident/injury rate.
(5) Aircraft accident/incident procedures.
(6) Communication processes between employees and management.
(7) Employee surveys.
(8) A vendor/supplier audit program for outsourced training.
(10) Safety program (departmental).
(11) Aircrew standardization.
(12) FOQA data (de-identified trend information).
(13) ASAP information.
(14) Captain upgrade.
(15) Dispatch and flight release.
(16) Personnel training and qualification.
(17) Training program.
(18) Crewmember (flight-crew) qualification.
(19) Dispatcher training.
(20) Flight Simulators and Training devices.
(21) Hazmat training and procedures.
(22) Special airport and route qualifications.
(23) Scheduling and reporting system.
(24) Crewmember (flight-crew) flight, rest, and duty time procedures.
(25) Dispatcher duty/rest time.
(26) Operational release.
(27) Technical administration.
(28) Check airman program.
The top 5 causal factors in fatal
business crashes are:
1. Flight handling characteristics
2.Loss of Positional awareness
3.Omission of action or inappropriate action
4.Poor professional judgment/airmanship
5.Disorientation or visual illusion
When Pilots were interviewed,
they revealed their top safety
1. Operations in ice and snow
2.Inability to cope with FMS’s
3.Landing accidents and overruns
4.Flight crew fatigue
What to do with this
information and your SMS?
• Develop specific procedures for all 5
causal factors + (4 pilot concerns)