Terms for 11/13
• New Deal = Roosevelt’s policies to pull USA out of
• Hundred Days = FDR’s first 100 days in office. Passed
15 major Acts to resolve crisis
• Fireside chats = FDR would speak directly to the
american people about what the government was doing
• Deficit spending = to borrow money in order to pay for
Warm up for 11/13
• WHAT DID THE MUSIC VIDEO TEACH YOU
ABOUT THE GREAT DEPRESSION?
• What are public works?
• What is direct relief?
• What two major strategies did president Hoover
use to promote economic recovery?
• What did WWI veterans do to try to get their
service bonuses early?
• How did Hoover respond to the Bonus March?
• How did the Bonus March affect Hoovers
THE FIRST NEW DEAL
SETTING THE STAGE
• FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT WAS
ELECTED PRESIDENT IN 1932,
FOLLOWING HIS PROMISE OF A “NEW
DEAL” FOR AMERICANS. IN HIS FIRST
100 DAYS IN OFFICE, HE LET LOOSE A
FLOOD OF LEGISLATION DESIGNED
TO RESCUE BANKS, INDUSTRY, AND
AGRICULTURE AND PROVIDE JOBS
FOR THE UNEMPLOYED.
ROOSEVELT’S RISE TO POWER
• ROOSEVELT WAS A DISTANT COUSIN OF TR
• BORN INTO A WEALTHY FAMILY, HE GRADUATED FROM
HARVARD AND COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL.
• HIS EARLY POLITICAL CAREER WAS A WILD SUCCESS
• AFTER BEING STRICKEN WITH POLIO IN 1921, ELEANOR
ROOSEVELT KEPT HIS CAREER ALIVE WHILE HE RECOVERED
• BY 1928, FDR WAS ACTIVE IN POLITICS AGAIN = GOVERNOR
OF NY = OVERSAW CREATION OF A RELIEF AGENCY
• HIS POPULARITY PAVED WAY TO PRESIDENCY, WINNING
1932 ELECTION BY A LANDSLIDE
THE HUNDRED DAYS
• ROOSEVELT BEGAN HIS TERM BY SENDING BILL AFTER BILL
• DURING THE FIRST 3 MONTHS, CONGRESS PASSED 15
MAJOR ACTS TO ATTACK THE ECONOMIC CRISIS = hundred
BANKS AND DEBT RELIEF
• FDR REALIZED HE MUST RESTORE PEOPLE CONFIDENCE IN
• HE DECLARED A NATIONAL BANK HOLIDAY TO PREVENT
BANK RUNS, THEN CALLED A SPECIAL SESSION IN CONGRES
• HOUSE AND SENATE PASSED THE EMERGENCY BANKING
RELIEF ACT = FEDS WOULD LICENSE ONLY HEALTHY BANKS
BANKS AND DEBT RELIEF - CONTINUED
• ON MARCH 12, FDR ADDRESSED THE NATION ON THE RADIO
IN THE FIRST OF MANY “FIRESIDE CHATS”
• THE NEXT DAY THERE WERE FAR MORE BANK DEPOSITS
• FDR PUSHED FOR REGULATION OF BANKS AND STOCK
• SECURITES ACT OF 1933 = COMPANIES MUST BE TRUTHFUL
• GLASS-STEAGALL BANKING ACT = CREATED FDIC = INSURED
BANK DEPOSITS TO A SET AMOUNT
• HOMEOWNERS LOAN CORPORATION = HELP PEOPLE PAY
• FARM CREDIT ADMINISTRATION TO HELP FARMERS
FARMS AND INDUSTRY
• GOVERNMENT PAID FARMERS NOT TO RAISE CERTAIN
LIVESTOCK AND CROPS TO RAISE PRICES =
• AGRICULTURAL ADJUSTMENT ADMINISTRATION
• NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL RECOVERY ACT = SUSPENDED ANTI-
• THE NATIONAL RECOVERY ADMINISTRATION RAN PROGRAM,
EVENTUALLY RULED UNCONSTITUTIONAL
• RELIEF PROGRAMS MEANT TO GET MONEY IN THE HANDS
• CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS = HIRED MEN TO PLANT
TREES, FIIGHT FOREST FIRES, BUILD RESERVOIRS
• FEDERAL EMERGENCY RELIEF ADMINISTRATION =
PROVIDED FED. MONEY TO STATE AND LOCAL GOV
• PUBLIC WORKS ADMINISTRATION = BUILD HIGHWAYS, DAMS,
SEWER SYSTEMS, SCHOOLS, BUILDINGS
• CIVIL WORKS ADMINISTRATION = PLACED WORKERS
DIRECTLY UNDER FEDERAL PAYROLL
• NEW DEAL PROGRAMS INSPIRED HOPE AND RESTORED
FAITH IN OUR COUNTRY!!!!
• DID NOT END DEPRESSION!!!!
• What ailment did FDR suffer from?
• What was FDR’s plan called to combat the Great Depression?
• How would you define the New Deal….what did the New Deal call
for and attempt to do?
• What actions did FDR take during the Hundred Days?
• How did FDR restore peoples confidence in Banks?
• How did the government regulate the stock market?
• How did the AAA affect farm prices?
• What does deficit spending mean?