Things to Know if You Need More Time to File by theyne


More Info
									 IRS Tax Tips                                                                       April 10, 2013

Useful Links:                Issue Number: IRS Tax Tip 2013-52 Home                 Inside This Issue
1040 Central

Help For Hurricane Victims
                                 Five Things to Know if You Need More
                                              Time to File
News Essentials
                             The April 15 tax-filing deadline is fast approaching. Some taxpayers
What's Hot                   may find that they need more time to file their tax returns. If you need
                             extra time, you can get an automatic six-month extension from the IRS.
News Releases
                             Here are five important things you need to know about filing an
IRS - The Basics             extension:

IRS Guidance                 1. Extra time to file is not extra time to pay. You may request an
                             extension of time to file your federal tax return to get an extra six
Media Contacts
                             months to file, until Oct. 15. Although an extension will give you an
                             extra six months to get your tax return to the IRS, it does not extend
Facts & Figures
                             the time you have to pay any tax you owe. You will owe interest on
Problem Alerts               any amount not paid by the April 15 deadline. You may also owe a
                             penalty for failing to pay on time.
Around The Nation
                             2. File on time even if you can’t pay. If you complete your return but
e-News Subscriptions         you can’t pay the full amount due, do not request an extension. File
                             your return on time and pay as much as you can. You should pay the
                             balance as soon as possible to minimize penalty and interest charges. If
                             you need more time to pay, you can apply for a payment plan using the
The Newsroom Topics          Online Payment Agreement tool on You can also send Form
                             9465, Installment Agreement Request, with your return. If you are
Tax Tips 2013                unable to make payments because of a financial hardship, the IRS will
                             work with you. Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 to discuss your options.
Radio PSAs
                             3. Use Free File to request an extension. Everyone can use IRS Free
Fact Sheets
                             File to e-file their extension request. Free File is available exclusively
Armed Forces                 through the website. You must e-file the request by midnight
                             on April 15. If you e-file your extension request, the IRS will
Disaster Relief              acknowledge receipt of your request.
Scams / Consumer Alerts      4. Use Form 4868 if you file a paper form. You can request an
                             extension of time to file by submitting Form 4868, Application for
Tax Shelters                 Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax
                             Return. You must submit this form to the IRS by April 15. Form 4868
                             is available on
IRS Resources                 5. Electronic funds withdrawal. If you e-file an extension request,
                              you can also pay any balance due by authorizing an electronic funds
Compliance & Enforcement News
                              withdrawal from a checking or savings account. To do this you will
Contact My Local Office
                              need your bank routing and account numbers.

Filing Options               For information about filing an extension and the various methods of
                             paying your taxes, visit the IRS website at
Forms & Pubs

Frequently Asked Questions   Additional IRS Resources:

News                                IRS Free File
                                    Online Payment Agreement tool
Taxpayer Advocate
                                    Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request
                                    Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to
Where to File
                                     File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

                             IRS YouTube Video:

                                    Need More Time to File Your Tax Return? - English
                                    Online Payment Agreement - English

                             Back to Top

To top