Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission

Document Sample
Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission Powered By Docstoc
					Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission
_______________________

State Rehabilitation Council
27 Wormwood Street Suite 600 Boston, MA 02210 617-204-3665

This document includes Artists with Disabilities Task Force Meeting Minutes for 2009    March 3, 2009 May 1, 2009 July 17, 2009

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission _______________________

State Rehabilitation Council
27 Wormwood Street Suite 600 Boston, MA 02210 617-204-3665
Past Chairperson Youcef “Joe” Bellil Vice Chairperson Secretary Warren Magee Members at Large Owen Doonan Stephen Reynolds

Minutes AWDTF March 3rd 2009 12:30-2:30PM Carson Place Bayside Expo Center

1. Present: Lisa Corfman, Judy Phillips, Cynthia Segal, Ann Troise, Ajay Kemal, Michael Lillian, Sumu Besois, Julie Langbort, Mei Lin Po, Laurel Levine, Mary Rogers, Greg Rogers, Lisa Weber 2. The minutes from the last meeting of the Task Force were approved. 3. Ajay Kemal, website designer, and Sumu Besois, marketing consultant, gave a presentation regarding the possible AWDTF website. Ajay was originally referred by Lisa Corfman and contacted by Lisa Weber. Two mock-ups were shown to the task force. The task force voted to use aspects of both mock-ups. We would like to use the white background for the front page (and other pages) consisting of mostly text. Pages that showcase the artwork and photographs will have a grey background the surrounds the pictures which will help them stand out. Lisa Corfman expressed concern that the Task Force had voted to have “task force colors”, specifically purple and green, which were not included in the website. Other members stated that a strong visual impact was more important than simply incorporating the colors, specifically since it has not been made well-known that these colors were voted on. A compromise could be replacing the red, shown on the mock-up, with purple from the current webpage. It was mentioned that we should keep our logo on the

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

website, as we have been using the logo for some time and it is likely that more people will recognize the logo as opposed to recognizing our chosen colors. The task force decided that each displayed art piece should include the following information: Title, price, size, medium, year created. Lisa Corfman mentioned that Easter Seals has a method for selling gift cards/donations which she recommended the Task Force consider as an idea for AWDTF to do eventually. The donation cards she saw can be purchased at CVS and the proceeds go to support Easter Seals. The Task Force will have an exhibit at the Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts pageant on March 29th. Drafts of the members’ applications were also passed out to correct and were collected. At the conclusion of the meeting artists viewed the giant room that the pageant will be held. One of our members, Maryan Amaral, is competing as a contestant. Our next Open Studios event will be at the Center Communities of Brookline on May 2nd at the same site of the meeting held on May 1, 2009, the day before. Cathy Thatcher is our contact person and Lisa Weber will request use of the space from 11AM to 3PM for the event and will check if we can have our meeting there the day before. Lisa will also check if we can set up the day before. The Open Studios event will have storytelling and balloon animals. Mei-Lin and Tamara will work together as the storytellers. Lisa Weber share that an author/story-reader wanted to present at the open studio and it was suggested that it would be better to wait till the following, Fall 2009, Open Studios event. Lisa Corfman has begun creating an AWDTF database which she briefly shared. Currently it is still in the early planning process stage. Mary Rogers suggested adding MySpace details as a heading in addition to the many others previously created. Lisa Corfman passed out a form written for the Entrepreneur’s Club with terminology to be appropriately used in a letter to each individual / business on the AWDTF list for correction and consent. Lisa Corfman told the Task Force about the upcoming Boston Gift Show which will be held on Summer Street in Boston. Contact person, Erica Guess was able to call Lisa C. while the meeting was still taking place, and stated that members of the Task Force would be welcome to attend to learn about this type of event. The Task Force selected the morning of March 31st as the day that we would go. Erica stated that we would be able view event free with a “guest industry pass” and that a formal head count needs to be in by March 25th. About 6 members of AWDTF showed an interest in attending.Please let Lisa Corfman know if you are interested in attending. Lisa Weber informed the Task Force of a possible exhibit in the works at Spaulding Rehab. More information will be coming shortly.

10.Julie Langbort stated she works for National Alliance on Mental Illness and would report back to them after the SRC meeting. Lisa Corfman and Lisa Weber stated that the upcoming pageant would be important to emphasize. 11.Mary Rogers presented to Lisa Corfman, all paperwork consent forms / paper that Mary had. 12.Lisa Corfman stated that the recent Valentines Day party was a success. 13.May 1, 2009 is the date of the next meeting.

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission _______________________

State Rehabilitation Council
27 Wormwood Street Suite 600 Boston, MA 02210 617-204-3665
Past Chairperson Youcef “Joe” Bellil Vice Chairperson Secretary Warren Magee Members at Large Owen Doonan Stephen Reynolds

Minutes AWDTF May 1st 2009 3:00-5:00PM MRC-Brookline

14.Present: Lisa Corfman, Lisa Weber, Miriam Morales, Russ McNaught, Cynthia Segal, Michael Lillian, Laurel Levine. 15.The minutes from the last meeting were approved. 16.Lisa Corfman was voted in as the 2010 Calendar Coordinator. 17.The visit/tour to the Urban Expositions’ wholesale craft fair was briefly reviewed. Lisa Corfman stated that she, Lisa Weber and Mei-Lin Po were the tour attendees. Corfman handed out a sheet with “Key Details Learned”. Corfman also passed around information gained at the exhibit both from exhibit coordinator Erica Guess (advertising via post-card and stickers) and exhibitors (samples, catalogues, post-cards, announcements, business cards, and pamphlets). 18.Lisa Corfman also brought up the idea of creating pamphlets for interested artists to use as promotional tools. Lisa Weber will check with Emeka Nwokeji if there is funding available for this. 19.Lisa Corfman has created a Facebook page for the Task Force which will be used to share information about our events. The Facebook page currently has 15 members. 20.We discussed a summer party and decided a picnic at the Decordova Museum on Saturday, August 1, 2009 would work well for artists to socialize. Lisa Corfman is the contact person for this event.

21.Lisa Weber is currently working with a Task Force at Spaulding Rehab which is planning to create a gallery of work by artists with disabilities. This will be a rotating exhibit which will showcase the work of several artists. 22.The AWDTF is planning to have an exhibit table at the MRC Annual Consumer Conference on June 18th at Northeastern University. It should be noted that cash sales of artwork will not be permitted. However, artists may create order forms for prospective buyers to fill out so that sales transactions can take place after the Conference. Copies of registration forms for the conference were handed out. 23.Information about artist Cristina Powell (cover artist for the 2009 Calendar) was handed out. 24.The State Plan committee met recently. Task Force members submitted several recommendations including our website plan. The State Plan committee did not choose to specify website design but encouraged the Task Force to seek funding options. 25.The next Open Studios event will be on May 2nd, 2009 at the Center Communities of Brookline. Cathy Thatcher brought up a concern that some artists were coming the Open Studios event and not to the planning meetings. It was then mentioned that the Open Studios events might be a way to entice new artists to come to our meetings and join the task force. The pamphlet for the event was reviewed. After the meeting we traveled to the “Open Studios” site. 26.The next meeting of the Artists With Disabilities Task Force will be July 17th from 12:30-2:30 at MRC Boston.

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission _______________________

State Rehabilitation Council
27 Wormwood Street Suite 600 Boston, MA 02210 617-204-3665
Chairperson Youcef “Joe” Bellil Vice Chairperson Secretary Warren Magee Members at Large Owen Doonan Stephen Reynolds

Minutes AWDTF July 17th 2009 MRC 27 Wormwood Street

27.Present: Lisa Corfman, Lisa Weber, Judy Phillips, Cynthia Segal, Michael Lillian, Greg Rogers, Mary Rogers, Emeka Nwokeji, Laurel Levine 28.Minutes of the last meeting were read and approved. 29.Discussed was a recent meeting to discuss the possibility of creating our AWDTF website. MRC’s in-house IT contact, Alison Scher, attended that meeting as did Emeka Nwokeji, Lisa Corfman, Mary Rogers, and Lisa Weber. Alison Scher was supportive of the idea and is currently researching legal issues around the creation of such a website. Mary Rogers pointed out that there would be a juried process in selecting artworks that would go on the website. In addition, the website would need to comply with the state’s accessibility laws. The task force previously decided to limit updates to one or two times a year to reduce costs. Brought up was the fact that AWDTF is not independent, that it is governed by MRC and the State Rehabilitation Council, and task force projects are by contract by Emeka. Lisa Corfman reiterated the thought that a training CD should be made for individuals interested in being in the website. It was also stated and agreed upon that the MRC website should have a link to the AWDTF page. 30.Lisa Corfman stated that she has created and updated a Facebook page for the task force. Emeka is looking into the legal issues related to this. In

the meantime, the task force felt it was important to clarify that this is a website created by an individual member; it is not a formal State Rehabilitation Council project. It was suggested that pictures and the original AWDTF website link be taken down. The street address should also be taken down. Lisa Corfman also mentioned that the Zola Center in Newton is or was taking a survey having computer training for those who wish to improve their computer skills, and inquired if the group should request a workshop to teach members how to obtain a Facebook page. There were mixed reactions at the meeting, and the final decision was that task force members could take the training on an individual basis. 31.Mary Roger expressed a desire that we should form a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. 32.The task force discussed the 2010 calendar. Print-outs of all submissions were passed around and silently voted on. We are looking for one more artist to display their work, and we are also looking for submission of poetry for the inside cover. Lisa Corfman handed out a sheet with samples of poems from previous calendars. Greg Rogers and Laurel Levine were up to the poem writing challenge. Another poet and photographer who writes in Spanish was mentioned and it was stated that an English translation should follow each line which is written in another language. One member who wrote a poem called “Spring – air is in the air” was well received and enjoyed. It was decided that the poem should be in the calendar for the month of April, which is poetry month. A picture should also be included. 33.Lisa Weber mentioned that Spaulding Rehab is still planning an exhibit for artists with disabilities, expected to open in Fall 2009. There will be a meeting at Spaulding (Conference Room 8C) on July 22nd at 3PM to review and select artwork for the exhibit. Task Force members are welcome to attend this meeting and bring their work to be viewed. Artists may also email Lisa Weber pictures of their work to bring to the meeting. Lisa Corfman distributed sign-up forms for those who are interested in this project. 34.Lisa Weber attended the Watertown Commission on Disability Meeting on July 15th. The Commission mentioned the Watertown Faire On the Square which is September 26th 2009 10AM-4PM. The cost of hosting a table would be $45. The task force decided that it would not be worth it to purchase a task force table, but individual artists are free to pursue this on their own. 35.Our next Open Studios event will be held at the Boston Public LibraryAllston Branch on Saturday November 14th. The original time was 12PM4PM but this has since been changed to happen 11AM-3:30PM. Lisa Corfman mentioned that we are inviting Sidewalk Sam to participate and Michael Lillian expressed approval at this. Lisa Weber shared that Jennifer

Ridder from Partners for Youth With Disabilities is interested in collaborating on this event. She anticipates 5-10 individuals being able to attend the Open Studios. She would like members of the task force to come speak to the interested youths before the event. 36.Lisa Corfman created a Vision Statement (separate from the mission statement) which was approved by the task force and can now be submitted to the SRC. The statement, which Corfman read is: “Our disabilities are not something that holds us back; they act as the tie that unites us and makes us stronger individuals enabling us to do amazing things.” 37.Lisa Corfman informed the task force that Endicott College has accepted and welcomed us to exhibit. The task force agreed in the beginning of September 2010 to the beginning or middle of October 2010 would work and that a week-day for the reception would be best. More details are on a form still needing approval from Endicott College. Key aspects include that there will be a small reception 1 week into the exhibit on a weekday, that Endicott College will provide food, that restrictions include 1 artwork per person for about 20 people, that work is framed and ready to hang meaning that work must have a wire to hang by and Plexiglas must be used, no glass. See Lisa Corfman for any questions or concerns. 38.Lisa Corfman passed around information about a summer picnic at the Decordova museum on August 1st (see attached). 39.Lisa Corfman is drafting a project to create pamphlets for the task force. One idea is an “application” pamphlet for interested artists to join the task force was passed around. Another pamphlet idea would be for individual artist used to help promote each person. 40.Next meeting date-November 13th 2009 10:00 AM - 12:00PM at the Boston Public Library-Allston branch.


				
DOCUMENT INFO