Resensitizing Ourselves- The Retraining Of
Our Conscience – Eph. 4:19; Heb. 4:15
•When we have lost our tender conscience it is imperative
that we be proactive in getting ourselves back to a point
where the gospel will matter to us again. How do we do
•A hardened conscience is the greatest danger to every
man and woman today. It is what prohibits a person from
ever obeying the gospel and is also what keeps sinful
Christians from repenting of sins. How do we become
sensitive to the powerful gospel again and let it change our
•8 times in Ex. 8-10 Pharaoh hardened his heart and it
resulted in disobedience to God’s command.
•Heb. 3:13- tells us we can be hardened by the
deceitfulness of sin and we can help keep this from
happening by exhorting one another daily.
Characteristics of Being Desensitized
• Have you ever heard the truth and knew you were in
disobedience, but refused to make the proper changes?
Desensitizing happens little by little- Psalm 1
• Have you ever needed to come forward and allowed
yourself to delay it?
• Have you ever been burdened down with sin and knew the
answer was to humble yourself, but refused to do so? Does
pride stand in the way of you and the salvation of your
• Have you ever listened to a sermon and come away from it
with no reaction whatsoever?
• Heb. 10:26-29
Steps To Resensitizing
• No more excuses for sin and unfaithfulness. Stop
excusing lack of obedience. Stop blaming others.
• Luke 14:16-24- all with one accord began to make
• When we excuse our lack of obedience we actually
can convince ourselves that we are alright and need
no change. The gospel will not penetrate our heart as
long as this is the case.
• Common excuses- that’s just the way I am, I will do
it one day not now, I can’t, I am too old to change, let
the young ones take it now, I will leave that to
others, I am busy, I don’t know enough.
• Start back Jer. 10:23- can’t direct own steps- Prov.
The Psalms and Resensitizing
• Psalm 85-6-
• Is. 57:15
• Revive Us again!
• Have a broken and contrite heart
• Ps. 34:17,18
• Ps. 51:17
• Restore the joy of service to us.
• Ps. 51:12
• Prov. 29:25- “whoso puts his trust in the Lord will be
safe.” v. 9- if turn away ear from hearing God your
prayer is abominable before God.
David and Paul
• 2 Sam. 11- Saw a woman- lusted- pursued- committed
adultery- child conceived- lied and schemed to cover
sin- ended in murder of Uriah (a loyal friend). David
was a man after God’s heart yet he sinned heinously.
The thing that set him apart from others who sinned,
was he never lost his awareness of himself as a sinner
(Ps. 32:3ff). 2 Sam. 12 when child dies- David 1. gets up
2. cleans up 3. goes to worship 4. commits to his
• He desired to have a clean heart again and a right spirit
(Ps.51:10). He was able to repent.
• Paul also kept a conscience that could be touched
• What can happen if we are resensitized?
• Have mercy, blot our my sin, wash me from my iniquity and
cleanse me from my sin, blot out my iniquities
• Make me joyful again-renew a right spirit within me-hold me close
don’t cast me away-uphold me O God-deliver me from my guilt
• Result- I will teach sinners of your way and will praise You.
• I can be useful again and feel humbly good about myself.
• Sin poisons our spirit and keeps guilt alive- resulting in us
concluding we are too far gone to come to the Lord.
• I have spoke to many prisoners who have undergone this process.
• They surround themselves with good people, refuse to act like they
used to and read the Word and pray. They are determined not to
let Satan have them.
• Job made a covenant with his eyes not to desire a maiden
No Sin Is So Big The Lord Cannot
• Fornication- 1Cor.5.
• Bigotry- Peter in Acts 15
• Murder- Paul-David
• False Teaching (Apollos-unintentional)
• Blasphemy (Simon the Sorcerer)
• Lust (David)
• Crucifying Christ- Saved on Pentecost
• Denying Christ- Peter
• Substance abuse, pornography, sins of the flesh that lead
up to fornication.
• Pride- Peter,
Giving Up On Ourselves
• God is not willing any should perish but wants all
to come to repentance. A proud person will not
repent. A defeated person will not repent
because they refuse to place their lives in God’s
• What is there you cannot forgive yourself of
doing? Paul said he forgot what was past- he
pressed on (Phil 3:13)
• God will not give up on you. If you are willing to
let the Word of God have its way with you then
you can be one with God.
• Imagine having peace (Phil. 4) no guilt, pure
thoughts (Phil. 4)
• The only one who can separate you from the
love of God is YOU (Rom. 8:35-38).
• Make the decision to submit to God.
• Do not kick against the pricks (Acts 26:14)
• Let your stubborn guard down
• Humble yourself and He will exalt you – 1 Peter 5:6. (Ps.
9:12-he forgets not the cry of the humble).
• Thank God for his grace, mercy and pardon in your life and
that He has been longsuffering to you not willing for you to
perish but to come to life eternal.
• Realize life is short
• Repent and Obey and be urgent about getting it done.
• Study ,Pray and surround yourself with godliness
The Way To Peace and Salvation
• 1. Listen to wisdom of God- Pr. 4:20,21
• 2. Keep you heart carefully- Pr. 4:23
• 3. Put away deceitful mouth (quit lying to yourself about
yourself).- Pr. 4:24
• 4. Let your eyes look right on; stay focused on right path-
• 5. Ponder your paths- plan your actions and stick to your
plan- Pr. 4:26
• 6. Do not allow any compromise in your life with sin or
those who would lead you to it- Pr. 4:27
• 7. Do not let anyone or anything keep you from the joy of
serving the Lord.
• Remember how you got where you never thought you
would be and slap Satan in the face and come home to
the Lord right now. Resist the devil and he will run.
(James 4:7) Stay committed Rom. 8:18, 28,31;35-39.