15 Similarities between Muhammad (Islam) and Joseph Smith (Mormonism)
1. Both founders were visited by an angel.
a. Mormonism’s founder, Joseph Smith, was visited by the angel Moroni.
b. Islam’s founder, Muhammad, was visited by the angel Gabriel.
2. Both men were given visions.
3. Both men were told that religions that existed on the earth were untrue.
4. Both men were to restore the long lost/forgotten faith as the one true religion.
5. Both men wrote a book said to be “inspired by God.”
a. Islam – The Qur’an
b. Mormonism – The Book of Mormon
6. Both men claimed to be illiterate or uneducated and used this as proof their books were
7. Both men claimed the original Bible had been altered, lost or corrupted and was therefore
8. Both men claimed their holy book was the most correct and perfect book on earth.
a. There are over 4,000 changes to the book of Mormon since the original 1830 version.
b. There are over 1,000 variants in the first 83 Sura’s of the Qur’an.
9. Both men claimed that their holy book was based upon an original stored in heaven.
a. The Qur’an on tablets.
b. The Book of Mormon on golden plates.
10. Both men claimed that the version (Qur’an and Book of Mormon) that we have in our hands
today are identical to what the prophet revealed and that parts are not altered, lost or
11. Both men claimed to be the last and final prophet of God.
12. Both men claimed they were persecuted for their correct and pure faith.
13. Both men were polygamists who collected many wives.
a. Joseph Smith had 33 documented wives.
b. Muhammad had 11 wives – one was nine years old.
14. Both men borrowed from paganism and polytheism and incorporated it into their religions.
15. Both received after the fact corrective revelations from God to correct issues with their
a. Muhammad “abrogated” or retracted the “satanic verses” (Sura 53:19-23).
b. Mormons retracted Smith's divine order mandating polygamy (D&C 132 and Jacob
The bottom line is that Satan is the “the father of lies” (John 8:44) and has nothing new up his sleeve
but rehashes the same old lies over and over again.
He stuffs the skin of the truth with lies and human beings eat them up as if it’s new revelation and
Galatians 1:8 says, “But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than
what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.”