CS1354-GRAPHICS AND MULTIMEDIA
UNIT-I OUTPUT PRIMITIVES
1. Explain the disadvantages of DDA line drawing algorithm
2. Define vanishing point with an example
3. How to map a window to view port?
4. What is a basic point behind midpoint circle algorithm?
5. What is Scan Conversion?
6. How do you correct the shape of line ends for very thick and inclined lines?
7. Write an algorithm for the mid point circle drawing algorithm in which decision parameter P is updated using x i+1 and y i+1
instead of xi and yi
8. A polygon has 4 vertices located at A(20,10),B(60,10),C(60,30),D(20,30).Indicate a transformation matrix to double the size of the
polygon with point A located at the same place
9. What is the use of Digitizer?
10. What is the difference between Window and View port?
11. How is the frame buffer loaded when straight line segments and other objects are scan converted for display with a reactor system?
12. What is Aspect ratio?
13. Give the 2D Transformation matrix for Rotation?
14. Define persistence
15. What are the common attributes of Line
16. How will you perform transformation between coordinate systems?
17. Define the term “Clipping” .
18. List the attributes of a two dimensional graphics primitive.
19. What is meant by differential scaling?
20. What is the use of Frame Buffers
1. Explain the basic concept of Midpoint ellipse algorithm. Derive the decision parameter for the algorithm and write down the
2. Elaborately discuss the midpoint ellipse drawing procedure and solve the
following : Find the points on the ellipse in the first quadrant with major axis
(rx)=6 units and minor axis(ry)=4 units
3. Explain two dimensional Translation and Scaling with an example
4. Obtain a transformation matrix for rotating an object about a specified pivot point
5. Consider a triangle ABC whose coordinates are A[4,1],B[5,2],C[4,3] (i) Reflect the given triangle about X-axis (ii) Reflect the given
triangle about Y-axis (iii) Reflect the given triangle about Y=X-axis (iv) Reflect the given triangle about Y-X-axis In each case find the
coordinates of reflected triangle
6. Perform a 45o rotation of object A[2,1],B[5,1],c[5,6] in clockwise direction and give
the coordinates of the transformed objects
7. Explain Sutherland and Hodgeman polygon clipping algorithm. Explain the disadvantages of it and how to rectify this disadvantages
8. Derive Bresenham‟s algorithm for lines with slope magnitude > 1
9. Use the above algorithm to find all the points on a triangle in the first quadrant
with vertices at (0,2),(6,2),(3,6)
10. Find the reflection of the point (2,4) with respect to the line y=x+1
11. Find the reflection of a triangle with vertices at (4, 10), (6, 12) and (4, 12) about the line y=x+5
12. Apply the Cohen Sutherland line clipping algorithm to clip a line with end points (1,7) and (7,5) against a window with boundaries
(or) Explain the Cohen Sutherland line clipping algorithm.
13. When a four way symmetry is used to obtain a full ellipse from pixel co ordinates generated for first quadrant, does overstrike
14. At R be a rectangular window whose lower left head corner is at L(-3,1) and upper right head corner is at R(2,6).Find the region
codes for the endpoints A(-4,2),B(-1,7),C(-1,5),D(3,8),G(1,-2),H(3,3),I(-4,7),J(-2,10)
15. Mention any four graphics system in output primitives. Explain in detail
16. Write short notes on line attributes
17. Discuss all two-dimensional geometric transformation in detail
(or) Explain translation, rotation and scaling with their matrix representation
18. Use the mid point method to derive decision parameters for generating points along a straight line path with slope in the range 0 <
m < 1. Show that the mid point decision parameters are the same as those in the Bresenham line algorithm.
19. Explain the DDA line drawing algorithm
20. Explain windowing and viewing transformation in detail
UNIT-II THREE DIMENSIONAL CONCEPTS
1. Differentiate interpolation and approximation splines
2. What is color gamut?
3. How are fractals classified?
4. What does Y, I, Q represent in YIQ model?
5. Distinguish between parallel and perspective projections
6. List any four animation techniques
7. What is surface rendering?
8. What is composite transformation?
9. Define projection. What are its methods?
10. What is morphing? Where it can be applied?
11. List any two viewing parameters of a 3D object
12. Define the term complementary colors
13. What are the advantages of parallel projection?
14. How are polygon data stored in graphics applications?
15. What is „Self Affine‟ fractal?
16. State the use of glyphs
17. What do you mean by spline curves? What are the two boundary conditions to obtain those curves?
18. What do you mean by „color model‟?
19. What is the need for modeling transformations
20. What is the use of color lookup tables?
21. What is meant by Key Frame animation?
1. Explain 3D basic transformation with an Example
2. Design a storyboard layout and accompanying key frames for an animation of a single polyhedron
3. How to specify objects motion in an animation system
4. Explain the properties of B spline. How it is differ from Bezier?
5. How to represent an object on 3D scene?
6. Draw the CIE chromaticity diagram and explain
7. Explain different types of color model in detail
(a) Depict and discuss the HSV color model in detail
(b) Write down a program for conversion between HSV and RGB color models
(c) Compare HLS and HSV color models,
(d) Explain RGB, CMY, YIQ and YUV color models.
(e) Write about RGB color model briefly
8. How do you implement morphing animation technique? Discuss with an example
9. Define Animation. Explain in detail about the animation languages
10. Define tilting as a rotation about x-axis followed by a rotation about y-axis. Find the tilting matrix? Does the order of performing
11. Derive the outline projection of co-ordinate position (x,y,z) to position (xp,yp) on the view plane
12. Describe briefly modeling and coordinate transformation in computer graphics
13. Discuss about the properties of light
14. Derive the 3D transformation matrix for rotation about (i) an arbitrary axis (ii) an arbitrary plane.
15. Discuss in detail the three dimensional transformations with suitable examples.
16. How do you represent 3D objects using Octrees?
17. Device a procedure for rotating an object that is represented in an octree structure
18. Define and discuss the term three dimensional object representation.
UNIT-III MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM DESIGN
1. Define Multimedia
2. List the components of Multimedia
3. What is SCSI?
4. List few sensors which are interfaced with computer
5. Name a few analog and digital video broadcast standards
6. What kinds of database management systems are preferred for multimedia data?
7. Write the elements of multimedia systems
8. What is run length encoding?
9. What are the ways to perform image annotation?
(or) Define Image Annotation
10. What are the data objects used in a multimedia system?
11. What is the use of OCR technology? How this technique should process the captured information?
12. What are the three classes of single-monitor architecture?
13. What are the issued analyses Multimedia Data Interface Standards?
14. List the methods of defining objects for multimedia systems
15. List the applications of multimedia in mobile units.
16. What are the components of a multimedia data representation?
17. Write short notes on „AVI‟ format
18. What are “asymmetrical applications”?
19. Define Orchestration
20. List two challenges in multimedia databases
21. Draw the IMA architecture framework
1. (a)List the Multimedia application. Explain them briefly
(b)Briefly discuss the history and future of multimedia
2. Explain in detail about multimedia database and also explain the characteristics of MDBMS
3. Write short notes on multimedia system architecture
4. Explain multimedia network architecture in detail
5. Explain in detail the IMA architectural framework
6. Suggest with reasons 5 potential applications of multimedia other than the applications in the field of entertainment and education
7. Explain various multimedia interface standards Explain in detail about the various multimedia data interface standards
8. Describe various building blocks of multimedia system
9. What are the basic objects of multimedia?
10. Discuss on the need for data compression in multimedia systems
11. Discuss about hypermedia documents
12. What are the evolving technologies for multimedia systems? Explain them briefly.
13. What is multimedia? Explain the properties of multimedia systems
14. Explain the data stream characteristics for continuous media
15. Explain the different file formats used in multimedia
16. Depict the multimedia workstation architecture and write about the various components
17. What types of Database Management Systems are preferred for Multimedia systems?
18. Discuss the various aspects of „querying the content of video libraries‟ with reference to video databases
19. State the need for evolving technologies in Multimedia.
20. Develop a simple multimedia application that receives one of the biometrics of an employee and announces the status of matching
with the records along with suitable displays.
UNIT-IV MULTIMEDIA FILE HANDLING
1. List any four hardware requirement of Multimedia.
2. What is MIDI?
3. What is meant by normalization?
4. Define dithering
5. Calculate the file size in MB for a 1 minute stereo recording of CD quality music at 44.1 KHz sampling rate and 16 bit resolution.
6. What do you understand by refresh rates of a monitor and how do you measure it?
7. What is the purpose of list chunks in RIFF file format?
8. Write down the various seek latencies associated with storage devices
9. List out the three types of chunks used in RIFF.
10. What is the disk spanning?
11. What are the techniques used for image enhancement by the image scanners?
12. How do you measure the performance of the voice recognition software?
13. State the role compression in multimedia.
14. List the components of full motion video models.
15. What are high definition systems?
16. What is speech synthesis?
17. List any 4 image file formats used in multimedia
18. Determine the bandwidth of the audio CD with 44.1kHz sampling rate and 16bit quantization
19. What is the difference between interlaced and non-interlaced monitor
20. What do you know about SCSI-2 standard?
1. List the types of fixed and removable storage devices available for multimedia, and discuss the strengths and weakness of each one.
2. Explain the data compression technique and its type used in multimedia.
3. List and explain important steps and considerations in recording and editing digital audio.
4. Describe the capabilities and limitations of bitmap images and vector images.
5. Define animation and describe how it can be used in multimedia.
Describe the design aspects for animating human movements with realism
6. Discuss the CCITT group of compression standards in detail
7. Define MIDI. List its attributes. Compare and contrast the MIDI and digitized audio in a multimedia production.
8. Explain the TIFF file format
9. Explain MPEG file format in detail for motion picture compression.
10. What is meant by TWAN? Explain in detail.
11. Explain JPEG methodology and discuss their advantages
12. Describe the operation of a pen input system.
13. Draw the video capture board architecture and write a short note on the functions of each component.
14. Discuss on the usage of optical storage media for storing multimedia objects.
15. Discuss the needs and issues Digital audio in multimedia Input and Output techniques.
16. Explain in detail about the rewritable optical disk technique.
17. Explain RAID in detail.
18. State the need for studying and contents of a file format used for Multimedia systems.
19. Discuss in detail about Digital Video Interactive (DVI) with suitable diagrams
20. Explain in detail about various animation and special effects in 3 dimensions
21. Determine the Audio-Visual integration strategies in multimedia systems
22. Explain how video data is stored and retrieved
1. List 3 multimedia authoring tool.
2. What is meant by media communication?
3. What is mobile messaging?
4. Differentiate hypertext and hypermedia.
5. What are common navigation modes?
6. Compare the performance of High speed LAN‟s for multimedia data transfer.
7. What are the issues in image object display?
8. What are the components of a distributed multimedia system?
9. What are the types of authoring system?
10. Define Premixing.
11. Define video panning and zooming
12. What is hypermedia messaging?
13. Define the term “Multimedia Authoring”.
14. State the needs for distributed multimedia systems.
15. Compare Distributed systems with multimedia systems
16. State the need for integrated document management
17. What is HTTP and HTML?
18. List any four sources of audio delay introduced in multimedia conferencing systems
19. Define Hypermedia
20. What are the standard types of multimedia object servers
1. Distinguish between multimedia system and hypermedia system
2. List the main attribute, benefits and drawbacks of 3 types of authoring systems.
3. Write short notes on the following: (i) Mobile messaging (ii) Document management. (iii) Hypermedia messaging.
4. Discuss about the various authoring tools depending on the application design.(or) Explain time based and object oriented
multimedia authoring tool.
5. What is editing features? Explain it briefly
6. Briefly explain integrated document management in multimedia
7. How to create hypermedia messages? Give an example also explain hypermedia message components.
8. Describe the types of multimedia authoring systems
9. What is hypermedia linking and embedding? Explain.
10. Describe distributed multimedia systems. What are the components available in distributed multimedia system? Explain in detail.
11. Explain the major featuristic functions of distributed multimedia systems
12. Discuss the issues in Hypermedia.
13. Explain the features and facilities incorporated in any one of the integrated document management system.
14. Write short notes on (i) Voice over IP (ii)Video on demand (iii)Interactive television (iv)Movie on demand
15. Analyze the object server architecture used in distributed multimedia systems
16. Write notes on any 2 popular metaphors for user interface design with examples for each one of them