; Hurry to Claim Your 2009 Refund
Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Hurry to Claim Your 2009 Refund


Time is Running Short to Claim Your 2009 Refund

More Info
  • pg 1
									 IRS Tax Tips                                                                       March 22, 2013

Useful Links:                Issue Number: IRS Special Edition Tax Tip 2013-07
IRS.gov Home                 Inside This Issue
1040 Central

Help For Hurricane Victims
                              Time is Running Short to Claim Your 2009
News Essentials
                             If you haven’t filed your 2009 federal tax return, you may still have
What's Hot                   time to claim your tax refund. The IRS has $917 million in unclaimed
                             refunds from an estimated 984,000 tax returns that people didn’t file
News Releases                for the 2009 tax year. The IRS estimates that half the potential refunds
                             for 2009 are more than $500.
IRS - The Basics
                             Here are some things the IRS wants you to know about unclaimed
IRS Guidance                 refunds:
Media Contacts
                             1. Not required to file. You may not have filed a 2009 tax return
                             because you didn’t earn enough income to have a filing requirement. If
Facts & Figures
                             you had taxes withheld from your wages or made quarterly estimated
Problem Alerts               payments, you can still file a return and claim your refund.

Around The Nation            2. Three-year window. You have three years to claim a refund. If you
                             don’t claim your refund within three years, the money becomes
e-News Subscriptions         property of the U.S. Treasury. For 2009 returns, the window closes on
                             April 15, 2013. You must properly address, postmark and mail your
                             return by that date. There is no penalty for filing a late return if you are
                             due a refund.
The Newsroom Topics
                             3. Don’t miss the EITC. By not filing a return, you may miss an
Tax Tips 2013                important credit — the Earned Income Tax Credit. For 2009, the credit
                             is worth as much as $5,657. The EITC can put extra money in the
Radio PSAs                   pockets of individuals and families with low and moderate incomes. If
                             you are eligible for the EITC, you must file a federal income tax return
Fact Sheets
                             to claim the credit. This is true even if you are not otherwise required
Armed Forces                 to file.

Disaster Relief              4. Some refunds applied. The IRS may hold your refund if you have
                             not filed tax returns for 2010 and 2011. The law allows the use of your
Scams / Consumer Alerts       federal tax refund to pay any amounts still owed to the IRS or your
                              state tax agency. If you have unpaid debts, such as overdue child
Tax Shelters                  support or student loans, your refund may be applied to pay that debt.

                              Current and prior year tax forms and instructions are available at
                              IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). If you are
IRS Resources                 missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498, you should request copies
                              from your employer, bank or other payer. If you can’t get these forms,
Compliance & Enforcement News
                              you can get a free transcript from the IRS showing the information you
Contact My Local Office
                              need from those forms.

Filing Options                Order a transcript by filing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of
                              Tax Return, with the IRS, or by calling 800-829-1040.
Forms & Pubs

Frequently Asked Questions    Additional IRS Resources:

News                                EITC Home Page
                                    Current and prior year tax forms and instructions
Taxpayer Advocate
                                    Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return
                                    IRS News Release IR-2013-29 - IRS Has $917 Million for
Where to File
                                     People Who Have Not Filed a 2009 Income Tax Return

                              IRS YouTube Videos:

                                    Haven't Filed a Tax Return in Years? - English | Spanish | ASL

                              Back to Top

To top