Docstoc

Participants

Document Sample
Participants Powered By Docstoc
					SOMALIA SUPPORT SECRETARIAT
Water, Sanitation & Infrastructure Sectoral Committee (WSISC)

PO BOX 28832-00200 NAIROBI TEL: 254- 2-3754145-8 FAX: 254- 2-3754149 Email: somalia.support.secretariat@undp.org

ENDORSED Minutes Water, Sanitation & Infrastructure Sector Committee meeting 22ND February 2007 2:30 P.M. at Somalia Support Secretariat Large Conference Room, Parklands
Participants:
E Lowe (Chairing) H Guiller S Ibrahim R Ni Cheilleachair F Juma A Diriye M Abdi H Elmi M Warsame Caritas Switzerland GRC The Secretariat Concern GAA DIAL SACOD SDCS SHRO D Fischer D Keulen G Adan W Baiow F Muthusi F Kamayi A Bashir A Abdi N Mutamba GRC UNICEF SADO SWRDA SWALIM SAF Green Hope Oxfam GB The Secretariat

Agenda 1. Opening Remarks (review of previous minutes; follow up on action points, matters arising) 2. Sector/Cluster ToRs. 3. Humanitarian update 4. Highlights on regional water coordination meetings.

5. 6.

Field reports Interventions. AOB.

&

Proposed

New

Documents distributed 1. Proposed agenda 2. Draft January minutes 3. Proposed WASH TORs

1. Opening Remarks (review of previous minutes; follow up on action points, matters arising).    The chair welcomed participants to the meeting. There was round the table introductions. Minutes of the January meeting were reviewed and endorsed as a true reflection of the discussions. The co chair is on contract break therefore he has not been able to action his action points.

Review of action Points a) Chris Print will push forward arrangements for a WatSan Strategy forming meeting and make a presentation in the next WSISC meeting. Pending. b) Esther Lowe will draft the criteria and ToR for the steering committee and circulate to all members for comments. Chris Print will draft the ToR for the Sector Coordinator, the WASH cluster and the Strategy Workshop. Criteria and TOR drafted and circulated. TOR for the Sector coordinator pending. c) Chris Print to provide feedback/updates on regional water coordination meetings/issues. Pending. d) The WASH Co-Chairs will facilitate finalisation of the Sector ToRs. (see point b). In process.

Somalia Support Secretariat – February WSISC Minutes

1

2. Sector/Cluster TORs
 The proposed TORs for the coordination of WASH activities were proposed to WSISC members by email and presented during the meeting.

Discussion o Within the sector, there will be a steering committee which will take up strategic responsibilities and give guidance to the sector committee and the full time coordinator. The coordinator will be reporting to the steering committee (which will be meeting on a quarterly basis) and one of his major responsibilities will be to ensure proper field coordination. Members of WASH sector will be required to bring coordination issues to meetings for discussion and follow up. Steering committee will improve coordination between sector stakeholders. Coordination to be done through the authorities. o There has been pressure from CISS EXCOM and the SDG in particular that there should be one meeting of cluster/sector. The merger has not actually taken place because two separate meetings are held. There should be a common meeting with an agenda that accommodates both sector and cluster issues. Cluster activities currently mainly focus on South Central but the sector focuses on the whole of Somalia. The cluster should break away and have separate meetings with members involved in case of an emergency and as need arises and feed into the sector. One major difference between the cluster and the sector is that the cluster approach ensures accountability by the lead agency, in this case UNICEF, while the sector does not have this as the chairs are individuals and cannot be held accountable for the implementation of its TOR – which is currently very limited anyway. This is one of the reasons for changing the Sectors TOR. The Secretariat will follow up with OCHA and come up with a practical process for the merger so that the cluster is part of the sector with special break out sessions in severe emergencies. The main focus of the Sectors TORs should be technical support to field level coordination. The sector will have monthly open meetings for information sharing and technical discussions and the membership is open to all partners who are active in the WASH sector. There is a proposal in the TOR that UNICEF as an institution be a permanent chair of the sector because of its mandate as UN to work with government authorities, and the acknowledgement by IASC to assign UNIEF as the lead agency for the WASH cluster. UNICEF can then assign a suitable member of staff to chair the meetings and have an NGO representative to deputize UNICEF and assist with the organisation of the meetings. This kind of arrangement will better support field level coordination than is possible at the moment. UNICEF is in agreement with this arrangement. This information will be shared with the WSISC for their feedback and endorsement. The chair and deputy chair will be required to work very closely.

o

o

o

o

Somalia Support Secretariat – February WSISC Minutes

2

o

As far as Coordination in South and Central Somalia is concerned, UNICEF will give the ministry of water a computer and desk and will then start sharing available information with the ministry. This will be part of UNICEF’s capacity building activities. There is need to decentralize South Central and have field coordination meetings within regions. UNICEF has already drafted a concept of WASH Task Forces to coordinate WASH activities in South and Central Somalia, this will be presented and discussed in the next WSISC meeting. The WASH task forces could possibly work with NGOs in the field such as NPA and SRSC. GRC will consult with the SRSC to see if they will be able to assist in setting up WASH Task forces in certain areas. UNICEF will be able to provide capacity building where needed. However, UNICEF’s operations are limited by access. WASH should identify the areas which are not covered and see the way forward to cover them. The process should start in the field and a system that works in a certain region can be replicated. UNICEF will share a concept note on decentralizing water coordination. This will be used as a basis for discussion on coordination during the next meeting. Following a discussion that then took place in the meeting, it is herewith reiterated that agencies which would like to access UNICEF funds should contact assistant liaison officer in Mogadishu. The coordination meetings are not to search for funding. UNICEF has planned a mission to Mogadishu. A clean up and hygiene awareness campaign is planned. UNICEF, OCHA, UNHCR took part in a mission to Galkayo where there are plans to rehabilitate the water supply system.

o

o

o

o

o

2. Humanitarian update.  There were reports of water diarrhea in Jowhar and Hiiran. There approximately 26 deaths in Jowhar and 34 deaths in Hiraan. 800 people are admitted in hospital in Jowhar and 250 are admitted in hospital in Hiraan. SRCS and MSF have more updated figures.  The situation in Galkayo has improved after a high level UN mission.  There is fear of a diarrhea outbreak in Tabta and Dobley.  The CAP is undergoing revision.  It is expected that the Gu rains will be normal.  In Juba, 20,000 households need WASH services.  In Jilib and Jamame, the people need food and clothes as a priority.  In Badadhe, 2,000 house holds need assistance because IDPs. There is increased insecurity which has resulted in increased IDPs. 3. Highlights on regional water coordination meetings.  No update was provided in this meeting.

4. Field reports & Proposed New Interventions.

Somalia Support Secretariat – February WSISC Minutes

3

SACOD  SACOD is sharing information on water and sanitation issues in Southern Somalia for purposes of fundraising. They have not started implementing activities. OXFAM  Oxfam has activities for drought response, floods and IDPs in Dobley. Oxfam is winding up the floods programme. There are plans to do long term recovery programmes with cash for rehabilitation of infrastructure or livelihood support. In relation to the drought, OXFAM got funds for pastoralist’s households and will have programmes to make the pastoralists mobile again. SADO  SADO is doing livelihood support in South Gedo for agro pastoral communities with funds from OCHA and FAO. They also have HIV/AIDS awareness programmes using Global Funds and are doing agricultural extension in the riverine areas.  The level of water in Juba River has reduced. The water is very dirty because animals dip into the river and there is fear of outbreak of waterborne diseases. Somali Red Crescent Society and MSF are intervening but the coverage is not enough. DIAL  

DIAL has interventions in education and rehabilitation of livestock and are looking for more funding. They have also constructed classrooms in Badhade district. DIAL sunk a borehole with the assistance of ICRC and the diaspora but it is not yet fully functional.

SWIMS Database  Current SWIMS data base (651 sources): 281 dug wells; 235 Berkads; 80 drilled wells; 21 springs; 13 dams; 21 other sources.  SWIMS data updates: There were no SWIMS data updates from SWALIM partners in the last one month. German Red Cross sent Berkads and shallow wells data sets (hard copies) to SWALIM for their projects in Somaliland. Most of the data is already in the SWIMS master database. Sorting is underway to identify the records which are missing in the database. 5. AOB  The purpose of the Water sector meetings is to discuss water issues in depth. Members who have complains about specific organizations should contact the organizations and persons responsible directly. Action Points a. Pending: Chris Print will push forward arrangements for a WatSan Strategy forming meeting and make a presentation in the next WSISC meeting. b. Pending: Chris Print will draft the ToR for the Sector Coordinator, the WASH cluster and the Strategy Workshop c. The Secretariat will follow up with OCHA and come up with a practical merger so that the cluster is part of the sector with exceptions in severe emergencies.

Somalia Support Secretariat – February WSISC Minutes

4

d. The Secretariat will circulate the TOR to WSISC members and ask for their opinion on the proposal to have UNICEF as a permanent chair of WASH. e. GRC will consult with the SRSC to ask for their assistance for coordination in South Central. f. UNICEF will share a concept note on decentralizing water coordination in South/Central and present it during the next meeting.

Somalia Support Secretariat – February WSISC Minutes

5