Moderator : Chunming Qiao
SUNY at Buffalo
Co-organizer: Ender Ayanoglu
IEEE Globecom’99, Rio, Brazil, Dec. 1999
Rick Barry, Sycamore Networks
Joseph Berthold, Ciena
Richard Cardwell, Telcordia
Jeff Fitchett, Nortel Networks
Larry McAdams, Cisco
Niall Robinson, Qtera
Antonio Rodriguez-Moral, Bell Labs
Charlie Rohrs, Tellabs Research
Issues to be Addressed
IP/ATM: will ATM cont. to play a role ?
– what about ATM switches & Multi-protocol
Label Switching (MPLS)?
– w/o ATM, which layer to provide QoS ?
IP/SONET: use SONET/SDH framing
as it is, or modify/replace it?
– How about Packet-over-SONET, thin/light
SONET, Gb-Ethernet, or Digital Wrapper?
– which layer(s) to do protection/restoration?
IP/WDM: what is Optical Internet?
– do we need an all-optical WDM layer?
– optical packet/burst switching realistic?
– will static or semi-permanent lightpaths
between switches/routers (wavelength
services) be sufficient?
What are the challenging research
topics (esp for academia)?
Panelists’ Position Statement
– limited to 6 minutes for each panelist
– (brief questions for clarifications only)
– questions/comments from the audience
– debates encouraged!