draft

Document Sample
draft Powered By Docstoc
					Buckinghamshire New University
draft: approved for circulation confirmed by Council with/without amendments: 21.11.2007 13.12.07

Council
minutes
date: time: location: 19 November 2007 5.45 pm Phoenix Room Wellesbourne

Council reconvened following the Joint meeting with Senate. It was reported that Senate member Jonathan Hill had recently resigned from Council and the Chairman thanked him in his absence for his valuable contribution on many occasions during his years of membership. The Chairman explained the inclusion of asterisked items to ensure that Council’s attention was most efficiently focused on issues requiring members’ detailed consideration and decision. He thanked the Clerk to the Council for her contribution in developing this mechanism and hoped that despite the long agenda the meeting would be concluded within a reasonable time. 420 Declaration of potential conflicts of interest No declarations of interest had been registered or identified for this meeting. 421 Minutes of the meetings held on 9 July and 11 October 2007 The minutes of the meetings held on 9 July and 11 October 2007 were confirmed and signed as true and fair records. 422 Matters arising a) Minute 410 f) Accountability for HE institutions It was reported that the publicity in the Guardian newspaper referenced at the meeting on 9 July had been well handled by Universities UK and there did not appear to have been any unfortunate repercussions. b) Minute 416 NHS Contracts The Vice Chancellor advised Council that an update on NHS Contracts were included in her report later on the agenda and also that the issues were being progressed along the lines indicated at the Missenden meeting on 11 October. 423 Chair’s action (Doc No C/07/56) Council noted the context and action taken by the Chairman when, on the University’s behalf, he signed a letter of indemnity and accompanying schedule in favour of Chiltern Student Villages Ltd (CSV) on 5 September 2007.

Council 19 November 2007 Page 1 of 14

424

Report of Vice Chancellor and other Strategic Matters a) Vice Chancellor’s report and presentation (Doc No C/07/57) Council received the Vice Chancellor’s report on student recruitment and other matters. The Vice Chancellor delivered her presentation on recruitment (copy attached) and also drew attention to the expanded detail on the current position contained in her written report. The presentation covered primarily the HEFCE contract and potential results if the university did not achieve the student numbers required, the methodology involved in calculations, weightings, contract range, notional standard resource, HEFCE monitoring and potential financial penalties. The Vice Chancellor also emphasised robust plans to deliver additional recruitment throughout the year, the importance of doing everything possible to safeguard against any adverse financial impact next year and the timetable and interface with HEFCE which will be taking place. She advised members that Department of Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIU&S) rule changes on equivalent and lower qualifications and split years would impact on the position and their specific effect on Buckinghamshire New University would be assessed. It had been acknowledged that these changes would have a transitional impact on institutions and consultations would be taking place to manage these. HEFCE was consulting on the position relating to equivalent and lower qualifications (ELQs) and additional vocational qualifications linked to professions. b) Presentation on Enterprise Strategy (Presentation enclosed) The Pro Vice Chancellor (Research, Enterprise and Operations) presented the Enterprise Strategy in the context of the institution’s role as a business facing university. The presentation covered a definition of enterprise; responsibilities of the centre (enabling access) and of the faculties (providing delivery); an enterprise portfolio; costing principles and personal development funds for academic or other staff who develop enterprises (to stimulate activity); CommercialiSE; an action plan and associated time scales. The strategy was welcomed but assurance was sought and given that its introduction and support would not undermine the university’s capacity to deliver its core teaching activity. The incentive element was particularly welcomed. It was recognised that the volume of business was likely to be limited but it was envisaged that there would be a number of benefits such as ensuring up to date experience. Council was advised that staff incentives would only be provided in respect of activity additional to a full workload and that funding was available from HEFCE to support enterprise initiatives. Some could be allocated to training existing staff but it was expected that potential participants were likely to self select, demand areas were likely to develop and new people could be brought in as required. The Chairman thanked the Pro Vice Chancellor for his presentation and looked forward to further progress reports. Noting the potential implications for the pay and conditions of staff it was AGREED that the Enterprise Strategy should be endorsed. Action: Pro Vice Chancellor (Research, Enterprise and Operations)

Council 19 November 2007 Page 2 of 14

425

Senate Matters a) Position Statement on Research Degree Awarding Powers (Doc No C/07/59) Council received the position statement on research degree awarding powers. The statement was noted. b) Minutes of the meeting of the Student Experience Committee held on 13 November 2007 The minutes of the meeting of the Student Experience Committee held on 13 November 2007 were not yet available. Secretary’s note: In view of the length of time before the next Council meeting the SEC minutes are circulated with these minutes for information Action: Administrative Assistant (Governance)

426

Report on the meetings of the Audit Committee held on 25 September and 30 October 2007 Council received: 1. a short report from the Chair (Doc No C/07/60) 2. minutes of the meeting held on 25 September (confirmed) and 30 October 2007 3. Financial Statements 2006 – 07 (Doc No C/07/61) 4. Annual Report from Audit Committee to Council 2006 – 07 and attachments (Doc No C/07/62)  KPMG Audit Highlights and Management Letter  Letter of Representation  RSM Bentley Jennison Annual Report  Annual Report on Value for Money 5. Report to Council / HEFCE on short-term borrowing (Doc No C/07/63). a) Short report from the Chair of the Audit Committee (Doc No. C/07/60) The Chair of the Audit Committee drew attention to a number of issues in the minutes, financial statements and annual report to Council. These included:        The balance between innovation in audit approaches and routine assurance reviews Internal audit work and the committee’s increased satisfaction with the work of RSM Bentley Jennison The importance allocated to value for money issues despite difficulty in demonstrating this clearly in audit review reports Solid progress over the year with the University being rated close to the upper quartile in its internal audit results The forthcoming review of external audit providers The completion of the external audit of the subsidiary company accounts 2006 - 07 The volume and complexity of auditing campus redevelopment activity. (The Chairman expressed his thanks to the Clerk for her assistance in developing this aspect).

The Audit Committee Chair also thanked his colleagues on the committee for their work and support in undertaking this crucial aspect of the governance of the university. The Chairman of Council expressed his thanks to the chair and the committee, commenting that it was encouraging and reassuring to note the logical approach to this monitoring of strategic direction of the institution.

Council 19 November 2007 Page 3 of 14

b)

Financial Statements 2006-07 (Doc No C/07/61) The Council Chairman referenced the full report and financial statements 2006 – 07 and asked members of the Audit Committee and Resources Committee who had addressed these in detail if they wished to raise any fundamental issues before Council was invited to consider the recommendations contained in the final section of the Audit Committee’s annual report. The only point raised was in respect of one of the subsidiary companies - BCUC (Conferences) Ltd whose board had met immediately before this meeting and had deferred a decision to approve its audited accounts pending a review of cost allocations. Council discussed this situation in some detail, concerned that such an issue could emerge at this late stage and particularly that the Audit Committee meeting on 30 October had not been made aware of the situation prior to submitting its annual report and making its recommendations to Council. Audit Committee had been told that the company accounts had yet to be adopted by their boards but time had elapsed since then and no issues had been cited as problematic at the Audit Committee meeting. Members were advised that the issue related to the decline in profitability of nurse education activity, and was mainly presentational but of potential importance in view of future NHS contractual negotiations. In the circumstances advice was being sought on prospective changes to cost allocation for 2007 / 08 onwards. Council was assured that although the subsidiary company accounts might be changed this would have no impact on the consolidated institutional accounts or the external auditors’ opinion in respect of both sets of accounts. However the Audit Chair expressed the view that subsidiary company accounts should have been properly approved in advance of the committee’s recommendations on the financial statements and annual report. Council members endorsed this view. This being the case Council AGREED to: 1 2 3 4 5 approve the annual report and attachments for submission to HEFCE endorse the letter of representation for signature by the Chair approve the annual report and financial statements for the year ended 31 July 2007 delegate authority to the Audit Committee to select the external auditors for 2007/08 and subsequently to recommend their appointment to Council commission the Vice Chancellor to draft and send the annual assurance return to HEFCE. Vice Chancellor and Clerk to the Council

Action:

It was FURTHER AGREED that: 6 the Chair of the Audit Committee should be informed of the outcome of the review in respect of BCUC (Conferences) accounts before the consolidated accounts were submitted to HEFCE in December; the timetable of subsidiary board meetings to consider annual accounts should be rescheduled for future years in order to ensure that audited accounts adopted by the boards are available to the Resources Committee and the Audit Committee prior to the Council meeting at which the financial statements and annual report are to be considered. Financial Controller / Clerk to the Council

7

Action: e)

Report to Council / HEFCE on short-term borrowing (Doc No C/07/63)

Council 19 November 2007 Page 4 of 14

It was noted that the Audit Committee had diligently investigated the context of the short notice request to HEFCE and had concluded that the University had acted as promptly as possible in respect of the change to financial transaction arrangements necessitated by the action of Wycombe District Council. Council endorsed the Audit Committee’s view as the basis of the report to HEFCE. Action: Clerk to the Council 427 Report on the meeting of the Resources Committee held on 16 October 2007 a) Short report from the Chair of the Resources Committee (Doc No C/07/64) Council received the report from the Chair of the Resources Committee and noted its contents. b) Minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2007 Council received the minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2007. c) Student Union approved Financial Statements and Affiliations 2006-07 (Doc No C/07/65) / Students’ Union Management Letter (Doc No C/07/66) Council received the Union’s approved Financial Statements and Affiliations 2006 – 07 and the SU Management Letter. The Resources Committee’s comments in respect of the financial statements and management letter and affiliations were noted as part of its obligations under the 1994 Act. d) Subsidiary Companies – Report on Outturns 2006-07 and report on CRDM (Doc No C/07/68) (reserved item) Council received the subsidiary companies’ report on outturns 2006-07 and report on CRDM. It noted the outturn results and discussed the Resources Committee’s recommendations. A brief minute of Council’s discussion and decisions on CRDM is recorded separately as an item of reserved business. e) Financial position at September 2007 (Doc No C/07/69) Council received the report on the financial position as at 30 September 2007 and noted its contents. f) HEFCE confirmation of long-term borrowing (Doc No C/07/70) Council received the confirmation of long-term borrowing. It noted the background and correspondence with HEFCE and welcomed the approval for the University to progress the long-term loan from Barclays Bank to fund the campus development project. g) Formal resolution in respect of long-term borrowing (Doc No C/07/71) The Council received a report on a proposed loan facility agreement (the "Facility Agreement"). It noted that in approving the bank loan facility contained therein, and, later on the agenda, approving the principles of the main construction contract, the University would be making an effective long term debt commitment. The Council noted that the structure of the arrangements was for a construction facility which would translate (following completion and receipt of the sales proceeds) into a 30

Council 19 November 2007 Page 5 of 14

year term loan of between £27m and £32m, of which the HEFCE consent mentioned in the previous paper would cover the base £27m. Council also noted that this was in line with the previously approved Business Case for campus development. The Chairman noted that one of the items for which the Meeting had been called was to consider and if thought fit approve the terms and contents of The Facility Agreement, pursuant to which Barclays Bank PLC (the "Bank") would make available to the University term loan facility of up to £55,000,000 (the "Facility"). The Chairman also noted that another item for which the Meeting had been called was to consider and if thought fit approve the entering into of the following documents: a proposed intercreditor agreement between (1) the University, (2) the Bank and (3) George Wimpey UK Limited (the "Intercreditor Deed"); and a proposed fixed charge over land at Wellesbourne (registered with Title Number BM207794), land at University College Campus (registered with Title Number BM250575) and land at Chalfont Site (registered Title Numbers BM1626 and BM281486) and a legal charge over the sales contracts for the land at Wellesbourne and the Chalfont Site (the "Security Documents") on terms to be negotiated in accordance with clause 5.3 below (the "Transaction Documents"). There was produced at the meeting copies of the agreed form of Facility Agreement containing the terms and conditions of the proposed transaction. Those present at the Meeting in particular noted the terms and conditions upon which the Facility would be available. The Financial Controller drew to Council’s attention the specific condition that should the University not obtain the sale of Wellesbourne at a minimum of £7m by George Wimpey or another party this would be an Event of Default (as defined in the Facility Agreement). The consequences of such an event of default would mean (amongst other things) that the Facility would become due and payable on demand by the Bank. IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY RESOLVED that It was in the best interests of the University to accept the offer of the Bank as contained in, and subject to the terms of, the Facility Agreement and to approve and authorise the execution, delivery and performance of the Facility Agreement (including any hedging arrangements contemplated by the Facility Agreement and referred to in paragraph 2 of Document C/07/71, as recommended by the Resources Committee) subject to the authority to conclude negotiations on behalf of the University being delegated to the Chairman, Mr Peter Moss and the Vice Chancellor, Dr Ruth Farwell. Any two of Mr Peter Moss, Mr Mike Bellamy, Lord Buckinghamshire and Dr Ruth Farwell (the "Authorised Signatories") be and are hereby authorised to execute and deliver as a deed (where appropriate) on behalf of the University the Facility Agreement with any amendments that such Authorised Signatories in their absolute discretion think fit (the approval of each of the Authorised Signatories to be conclusively determined by the signing of the documents or the witnessing of the affixing of the University's seal (as the case may be). Any two of Mr Peter Moss, Mr Mike Bellamy, Lord Buckinghamshire and Dr Ruth Farwell (the "Authorised Signatories") be and are hereby authorised to negotiate, agree, execute and deliver as a deed (where appropriate) on behalf of the University the Transaction Documents (as defined above) (the approval of each of the Authorised Signatories to be conclusively determined by the signing of the documents or the witnessing of the affixing of the University's seal (as the case may be)).

Council 19 November 2007 Page 6 of 14

Authority be and is hereby given to any one of the Authorised Signatories to negotiate and agree such other documents and to sign, execute and do all documents, deeds and things as may be necessary, desirable or expedient in relation to the banking arrangements with the Bank as set out (without limitation) in the Transaction Documents and the Facility Agreement including, without limitation, any resolutions of, or extracts from meetings of, the University to cover the signing of the Transaction Documents and the Facility Agreement, which were required by the Bank. That if required the common seal of the University be affixed to each and any document required in connection with the Transaction Documents and that any two of the Authorised Signatories be authorised to witness the affixing of the common seal to such document. Sample signatures of the Authorised Signatories are set out in Appendix 1 for the benefit of the Bank. The Chairman and Vice Chancellor be and are hereby authorised to approve the formal minute of Council’s discussion for submission to the Bank together with the executed documents. Action: Chairman, Vice Chancellor, Clerk to the Council h) Formal resolution on membership of CSV charitable vehicle (Doc No C/07/72) Council received the report on the formal resolution on membership of the CSV charitable vehicle. It noted   the contextual note and appendices, which included the BoS Indemnity (as defined below) that, further to the University entering into the letter of indemnity dated 5 September in favour of Chiltern Student Villages Limited, which was limited to £960,625, CSV were now in a position to enter into a facility agreement (the “Initial Facility”) with Bank of Scotland Plc in order to meet certain preliminary costs in relation to the development of student residences on the Compair site that, in order for CSV to enter into the Initial Facility, it was necessary for the University to provide a further indemnity (the “BoS Indemnity”) in favour of Bank of Scotland Plc. the reasons for and terms of the BoS Indemnity that the limit of the BoS Indemnity would be £1,997,079 the requirement to secure a financial close before or by 31 March 2008.

   

Following careful consideration, it was AGREED that it was in the best interests of the University:     to increase the amount indemnified by the University to £1,997,079 to enter into the BoS Indemnity, and that the University should enter into the BoS Indemnity to enter into membership of the Chiltern Student Villages Company – the two nominated representatives to be nominated by the Governance Committee (or its Chairman) to delegate authority to progress the proposal and enter into the necessary agreements to secure a financial close to the Campus Development Committee.

Action: Financial Controller / Clerk to the Council i) Policy Framework on severance of senior staff (Doc No C/07/73) Item reserved to independent Council members . Independent Council members received and approved the Policy Framework.

Council 19 November 2007 Page 7 of 14

j)

Individual Staff Grievance Procedures (Doc No C/07/74) Council received the procedure on individual staff grievances as recommended by the Resources Committee. It was noted that although Universities and Colleges Union comments had been taken into account the procedure remained subject to final consultation with the Local Joint Committee and also to ratification by the union/s at regional level, and further noted that the procedure also incorporated a pathway for Senior Staff (holders of senior posts) to raise grievances. It was also AGREED that final approval of the procedure should be delegated to the Chair and Deputy Chair of Council. Action: Clerk to the Council

428

Report on the meetings of the Campus Development Committee held on 4 September and 9 October 2007 a) Short report from the Chair of the Campus Development Committee C/07/75) (Doc No.

Council received the report from the Chair of the Campus Development Committee and noted its contents. b) Minutes of the meetings held on 4 September and 9 October 2007 Council received the minutes of the meetings held on 4 September (confirmed) and 9 October 2007. c) Update on campus development (Doc No C/07/76) Council received an updating report on campus development. The Executive Dean (Change Management) spoke to the report which provided a progress report on Queen Alexandra Road, HEFCE and banking facilities, Compair, student residences and Wellesbourne (a number of these issues having been referenced under earlier agenda items). He highlighted in particular the tight timescales which pertained to the completion of the new Learning Resources Centre before September 2009 and the importance of everything possible being done to expedite Wycombe District Council planning decisions. It was noted that delays at WDC over the approval of planning conditions meant that planned piling work would not commence before Christmas; that tender returns for QAR building works were expected at the end of the month or early December and that total project costs would hopefully remain within the approved £62.1 million budget. Members explored the position in respect of planning delays and confirmed that the importance of timely decisions and implications of any delay on the project had been appropriately communicated to WDC. They expressed frustration and regret that these delays had arisen and were concerned that everything should be done to enable speedy action as soon as the necessary permissions were gained. In conclusion Council formally: 1. Confirmed approval of the continuation of the LRC+ project into the construction phase, subject to a review by the Campus Development Committee (CDC) in early December to ensure that the relevant planning approval conditions are being progressed and that a satisfactory report back is obtained on the value engineering exercise mentioned in the Committee’s 9 October 2007 minutes

Council 19 November 2007 Page 8 of 14

2

Delegated to CDC in early December the appointment of contractors upon receipt of tenders and the finalisation of the main construction contract. Noted HEFCE’s approval of long-term borrowing for the project, a condition of progressing the LRC+. Noted progress on Compair and confirmed entry into the final collaboration agreement with WDC. Noted progress on student residences and the resolutions taken to enter into membership of the CSV charitable vehicle and delegated the finalisation of any further legal steps to CDC. Noted progress on Wellesbourne and authorised CDC to consider and take action on any urgent issues that relate to the Wellesbourne site before the next Council meeting, if appropriate in consultation with other Council members. Action: Deputy Director (Campus Consolidation) / (Change Management) Executive Dean

3

4 5

6

429

Report on the meeting of the Governance Committee held on 23 October 2007 a) Short report from the Chair of the Governance Committee (Doc No C/07/77) Council received the report from the Chair of the Governance Committee and the report was noted. b) Minutes of the meeting held on 23 October 2007 Council received the minutes of the meeting held on 23 October 2007. c) Nomination for Council Membership (Doc No C/07/78) Council received brief biographical details of the candidate recommended by the Governance Committee and the independent members AGREED to approve Mr Ian Hillan’s appointment as an independent member of Council with effect from 1 January 2008 until 31 July 2011. Action: Clerk to the Council d) Criteria for the appointment of Chancellor (Doc No C/07/79) Council received the report on criteria for the appointment of a University Chancellor. Members noted its contents of the paper and the recommendations of the Governance Committee and AGREED to:  approve the role objectives, person specification and terms of office for the appointment of a Chancellor of Buckinghamshire New University;  authorise the Vice Chancellor to bring forward names of potential candidates to the meeting of the Governance Committee in February 2008 and propose, in strict confidence, a preferred candidate to Council as soon as possible thereafter;  authorise the Clerk to draft the relevant provision in the revised Articles of Government. They were also invited to submit any nominations for the role of Chancellor in confidence direct to the Vice Chancellor. Action: Council Members / Vice Chancellor / Clerk to the Council

Council 19 November 2007 Page 9 of 14

e)

Size and shape of Council ((Doc No C/07/80) Council received the background report on the size and shape of Council. The Chair of the Governance Committee highlighted the main issues arising from the committee’s detailed discussion which had led to its recommendation for an optimum number of 20 Council members. He also advised members that targeted recruitment was being actioned and the advertisement process was in train. Council approved the optimum size of Council for incorporating into the proposed new Articles of Government as follows: 15 lay members 4 staff members (including the Vice Chancellor) 1 student member Total membership: 20. Action: Clerk to the Council Committee membership The Governance Committee Chair also took the opportunity to report on discussions which had taken place since the meeting on specific committee memberships, both individual and in principle. The Clerk confirmed that decisions on committee memberships were delegated to the Governance Committee and that these would be communicated to full Council, as would the outcome of discussions of principle. Action: Clerk to the Council / Senior Registrar (Governance)

f)

Instrument and Articles of Government – October 2007 (Doc No C/07/81) Council received the Instrument and Articles of Government – October 2007 and the Governance Committee’s recommendations. The Clerk to the Council advised members that the sole change in the October 2007 Instrument and Articles related to the change of name of the university and that these documents would now be made available on the university’s website. She also drew attention to the more wide-ranging changes proposed for future amendment which would be progressed (taking account of informal Privy Council advice) with a view to final Council consideration and submission to Privy Council for formal approval by July 2008. It was confirmed that the further two year term referenced in proposal 9 was included specifically to enable the elected Chair or Deputy Chair of Council to serve in that capacity for a worthwhile period and that this period could begin during the first two terms of office. Under section 15 of the Articles Council formally received the Instrument and Articles of Government agreed by Council on 9 July 2007 and approved by the Privy Council on 10 October 2007, noting that the sole change in the new Instrument and Articles was the change of the name of the University. Council also endorsed the recommendations for further change as outlined in the paper. Action: Clerk to the Council

g)

Interim Questionnaire on Effective Governance (Doc No C/07/82) Council received the full results of the interim review questionnaire on effective governance and a summary of comments under the main theme headings. The responses indicated a general appreciation of improved governance arrangements and

Council 19 November 2007 Page 10 of 14

that Council members were supportive of them. It was, however, recognised that one or two changes would take time to become fully embedded and the role and workload of the Resources Committee had been identified as an area to be kept carefully under review. It was noted that the review results constituted an endorsement by Council members that new arrangements were appropriate until the next full effective governance review took place in the year 2009/10. At this point reference was made to the Governance Committee minute on the internal audit report on governance arrangements and suggested that a future objective should be to improve on the “satisfactory” classification. Action: Chair / Vice Chancellor / Clerk to the Council h) Bye Laws on Committee and Subsidiary Company Membership (Doc No C/07/83) Council received the paper on Bye Laws on Committee and Subsidiary Company Membership. The Clerk to the Council reported that she had received a suggestion that the proposed bye-law 16 in respect of the subsidiary companies should include more flexibility so that different skills could be available to boards depending on what was needed at different stages of company development. The principle of flexibility was accepted and it was noted that the bye-law had been drafted in line with the best and most straight forward advice available. The Clerk read out an additional proposed clause. Council requested that if at all possible any issue requiring its formal approval should be circulated in time for due consideration. Subject to the inclusion of the additional clause and Council’s request (above) it was AGREED that the bye-laws for the appointment of members and chairs of Council’s committees and the nomination of members and chairs of subsidiary company boards of directors and representatives of the University as shareholder should be approved. Action: Clerk to the Council / Senior Registrar (Governance) 430 Report on the meeting of the Remuneration Committee on 24 July 2007 a) Summary report of the meeting Council received the summary report of the meeting held on 24 July 2007. The contents were noted and the Chairman reminded all members that he had circulated a more detailed report to them soon after the meeting with a confidential appendix for independent members only. 431 Other Formal Matters a) Disability Equality Scheme (Doc No C/07/84) Council received the new document and were advised that it had been revised to incorporate the requirements of the Disability Rights Commission. One of the two Council members who had agreed to review the new version provided a brief commentary. He confirmed that DRC requirements had been incorporated and reported that it was an encouraging and positive statement, applicable to staff and students alike and numerical information shows improvement. However it was noted that difficulty had been encountered in getting disabled people themselves to participate in the consultation and drafting process. As the input of disabled people was a legal requirement and fundamental to the development of similar policies identification by the university of disabled people

Council 19 November 2007 Page 11 of 14

willing to be involved was important and Council members were asked for any assistance they could provide in this area. Action: All Council Members

It was suggested that a cover sheet should be drafted explicitly identifying developments in the five areas required and cross referenced to the document itself. Other issues raised included the potential to provide a user friendly version of the document for institutional use, uncertainty about with whom responsibility rested for the completion of impact assessment forms, a need to demonstrate how this document linked with other related policies and schemes such as equal opportunities and health and safety, and the need for a regular reporting framework back to Council. The Chairman thanked Brian Tranter and Mike Bellamy for undertaking this work on Council’s behalf. Noting that Senate would also be considering it within a tight time frame Council AGREED to approve the redrafted Disability Equality Scheme for implementation and resubmission to the Equality and Human Rights Commission. Action: b) Vice Chancellor / Clerk to the Council

Student Discipline Annual Report 2006-07 Council received the student disciplinary annual report 2006-07 and noted its contents.

c)

Student Complaints Annual Report 2006-07 Council received the student complaints annual report 2006-07 and noted its contents.

432

Use of Seal and Coat of Arms and Authentication of the Use of the Seal a) Use of Seal and Coat of Arms (Doc No C/07/87) Council received the report on the use of the seal and coat of arms. It was noted that the Seal had been used since the report to Council in July 2007 on:   the loan agreement and legal charge re the loan from Wycombe District Council relating to the Compair site the documents listed for the sale of the property knows as John North Hall Campus, the parties to the contract being: BCUC, Fairview New Homes (Guildford) Limited and Fairview New Homes Limited

and that no application had been received for the use of the Coat of Arms during the same period. b) Authentication of the Use of the Seal (Doc No C/07/88) Council received the report on the authentication of the use of the seal. It AGREED to approve the revised procedure detailed on the paper on authentication of use of the University Seal, the revision being necessary because of changes to roles. Action: Clerk to the Council 433 Resolution on name (Doc No C/07/89) Council received the recommendations and resolution on the new institutional name.

Council 19 November 2007 Page 12 of 14

It was AGREED that:  all written references (in strategies, policies, regulations, Bye-laws, rules, procedures and other formal documents) to the name “Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College” or shortened forms of that name shall, from 10 October 2007, mean “Buckinghamshire New University” or shortened forms of that name from 10 October 2007, all written references (in strategies, policies, regulations, Bye-laws, rules, procedures and other formal documents) to the post of “Director” mean “ViceChancellor”.



Council also noted that the institution remained a higher education corporation and the same legal entity, and that nothing had changed except the name. It was suggested that it a similar resolution in respect of subsidiary companies would be needed although their name changes were a matter for their boards of directors and Companies House. Action: Clerk to the Council 434 Date of next scheduled meetings The next meetings of Council are scheduled to take place at 4.00 pm on: Monday 11 February 2008 at Missenden Abbey (followed by dinner) and Monday 10 March 2008 in the Board Room, High Wycombe

The meeting started at 5.45 pm and finished at 7.56 pm.

SIGNED

………………………………….

DATE

………………………………….

prepared by: location:

Senior Registrar (Governance) /hmg/k/c/council07-08/councilwebnovember07mins

Council 19 November 2007 Page 13 of 14

Council 19 November 2007 Page 14 of 14


				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:8
posted:11/6/2009
language:English
pages:14