Name 27 marks
Choose five places (one from each of the major continents)– one being Golden - and list
the types of vegetation you would find and classify. Explain the basic climate description
of each area and elevation. Use p.8-9 and 14-15 and p.32 of the atlas Canada and the
World to assist you with climate and elevation data for the areas you have chosen.
Location Description of vegetation , climate and elevation
Answer the following questions.
1. How else could a biogeoclimatic map be used? Provide 2 examples. (2 marks)
2. When the greenhouse effect becomes more pronounced, biogeoclimatic zones will
change. Some scientists believe that in Canada, climate zones will migrate northward as
much as 500 kilometres. If this happens, what will the biogeoclimatic map of B.C. look
like? What impact will this have on forest productivity? (3 marks)
3. To what extent do biogeoclimatic zones influence human activity? Can you predict
human activities on the basis of the zone description? Explain. (3 marks)
4. What factors might create local variation within a biogeoclimatic zone? (2 marks)
5. What zone would be the most pleasant to live in? Why? (2 marks)