Exponential and Logarithmic Models Name _________________
1. SAT Consider this model of math scores for the 1997 SAT math scores
y 0.0036e( x511) , 200 x 800
Use your graphing calculator to sketch a graph of this curve. (Hint: set the Ymax to 0.005)
2. Zombie Apocalypse On a college campus of 5000 students one student returns from vacation as
a contagious zombie. The spread of the zombie virus is modeled by
Where t is the number of days since the introduction of the virus.
a. How many students are infected after 5 days?
b. The college will cancel classes when 40% or more of the students become zombies. After how many
days will the college cancel classes?
3. Fruit Flies In a research experiment, a population of fruit flies is increasing according to the law of
exponential growth. After 2 days there are 100 flies, and after 4 days there are 300 flies. How many flies
will there be after 5 days. Use the model y aebt
4. Population The population P of a city is P 105,300e
where t = 0 represents the year
2000. According to this model when will the population reach 150,000?
5. Bacteria Growth The number of bacteria N in a culture is modeled by N 100e where t is the
time in hours. If N = 300 when t =5 estimate the time required for the population to double in size.