Alternate history is a look at what would have happened if one
important event in history was changed. How would it effect the rest
of history with the changed outcome to the event?
In the prior slides the turning point is a
failed landing at Normandy Beach. This
is one of the pivotal points in World War
Two. There are many points, for
•The Japanese never bomb Pearl Harbor
•The United States never enters the war
•Germany creates the atomic bomb
before the United States does
•Great Britain is invaded by Germany
Another example and closer to you…..
What if your Dad never met your
How would that have changed things
So how do you do things?
• Decide what event from the list that you want to write about.
• Use the internet to research the event and find out what happened.
• On scrap paper write what really happened as a result of the event you
• Reverse the event (if it happened; then it did not happen)
• Cross out what could NOT have possibly have happened
• On scrap paper write down what could have happened because of the
• Decide what changes that you have listed would make the most sense
• Cross out the events that do not make sense
• Transfer the results to your project file
• Locate pictures of the event/people to support your project and add it to
• Review your work for accuracy and completeness based on the rubric
(Fifth grade students will have 3 events from their turning point. Fourth
grade students will have 2 events from their turning point. )