Below is a list of the available Voice Commands on the SQ.200:
Voice Command What it does.
Speaker Volume Sets/Changes speaker volume
(Low, Medium, High)
Headset Volume Sets/Changes headset volume
(Low, Medium, High)
Select <Category> Sets/Changes the current category Quick Reference
Confirm Configuration Responds with current language Guide
Select <Language> Changes the current language.
Cancel Playback Cancels the playback of the phrase
Buttons and On Screen Navigation
Broadcast All Languages Broadcasts a pre-determined
phrase or sequence in all available For learning and convenience, the SQ.200 can be controlled
languages. through on screen navigation with the 5 button keypad.
The keypad allows you to:
Begin Open Microphone Puts the SQ.200 into Open
Microphone mode. 1. Navigate the Menus – this should be familiar to anyone who has
used up, down, forward, and back buttons to navigate a phone
End Open Microphone Takes the SQ.200 out of Open or mp3 player menu system.
2. Change Settings – the up and down buttons allow the user to
Loop Sequence Loops the selected sequence. easily modify such settings as volume, brightness, and contrast.
<sequence name> No TTS response
3. Select Items – The forward button allows the user to select menu
Begin Sequence Starts a step-through of the items and play phrase translations.
<sequence name> selected sequence.
4. Cancel Playback – The back button allows you to cancel
Next Phrase Steps to the next phrase in the playback of anything currently playing through the
the sequence. headset or speaker.
5. Special Features – The center button is a special purpose button
Repeat Last Phrase Repeats the last phrase that
that allows you to access more advanced features in the
application. In most cases it behaves like the forward button,
Hands Free, Eyes Free Translation Device
Begin Verification Turns phrase verification on. however hold it down while in a phrase list and it will add the This guide is designed to help you quickly get started using the
phrase to ‘My Favorites.’ SQUID SQ.200 hands free, eyes free translation device. For more
End Verification Turns phrase verification off. detailed information on the SQUID SQ.200’s features, refer to
www.voxtec.com | 52-0034_Quick Reference Guide_Rev-A your user manual.
Overview (Getting Started) Phrase Based, One-Way Translation
The SQ.200 is designed to get you started translating phrases 1. The SQ.200 is a phrase based, one-way translator. This means 3. Recorded translations are stored on the SQ.200. These translations
within a few minutes of use and comes preloaded with a phrase that it speaks pre-recorded phrases in other languages to help you have been grouped into categories.
module and languages selected at purchase. communicate with people who don’t speak English. The SQ.200 will
not translate a foreign language into English. 4. For your convenience, a customizable category called ‘My Favorites’ is
1. Ensure the SQ.200 is fully charged before using it the first time. provided. You can add, remove, and change the order of phrases in this
To charge the SQ.200 open the DC charging port cover on the 2. Phrases are predefined by industry experts and organized in advance category. To add a phrase to ‘My Favorites’ navigate on screen to the
bottom of the SQ.200 by turning the cap 1⁄4 turn counterclockwise. Insert for your specific situation. phrase you wish to add and hold down the center button on the 5
the charging cable into the port to begin charging. button keypad until a message appears indicating that the phrase is
being added to ‘My Favorites.’
2. Connect the headset to the SQ.200 by inserting the headset
connector into the SQ.200 pigtail with the white dot aligned with
the white arrow on the pigtail connector. Adjust the microphone
so that it is approximately a finger width from your lips.
3. Press the power button to turn on the SQ.200.
Translations/Commands with the
4. When the SQ.200 application loads, you will hear the current category Voice User Interface
and language announced through the headset.
5. Check your phrase reference cards or navigate on screen to the current
Push-to-Talk (Eyes Free) Operation Hands Free, Eyes Free Operation
category for a list of the currently available phrases. Push-to-Talk (Eyes Free) Operation is useful when you have a The SQUID SQ.200 is designed for complete Hands Free,
6. Speak the wake up word ‘Translator;’ you will hear a ‘ping’ indicating hand free to press the Push-to-Talk button. Using the Push-to-Talk Eyes Free operation allowing you to keep more of your attention
that the SQ.200 is listening for a phrase. button is the fail-safe method for ensuring that the SQ.200 is on your surroundings.
listening for a phrase or command.
7. Speak the phrase* you selected from the category.
8. You will hear the phrase repeated in English into your headset. Translations 1. To translate a phrase, speak the translation wake up word ‘Translator’
9. After a short pause, you will hear the phrase translation from the main 1. To translate a phrase, tap the Push-to-Talk button on the front into the microphone.
speaker of the SQ.200. of the SQ.200. 2. When you hear the ‘ping,’ the SQ.200 is listening for you to
*Some phrases are recognized by their triggers. Triggers are shortened speak a phrase.
2. When you hear the ‘ping,’ the SQ.200 is listening for you to
versions of the phrase. Where there is a trigger, use that instead of
speak a phrase. 3. Speak a phrase from the current category into the microphone.
the entire phrase. Triggers will be clearly displayed in your phrase
reference guide. 3. Speak a phrase from the current category into the microphone. 4. The phrase will be repeated in English into your headset.
4. The phrase will be repeated in English into your headset. 5. After a short pause, it will play, in the current language, through the
5. After a short pause, it will play, in the current language, through the SQ.200 speaker.
SQ.200 speaker. Commands
Taking Inventory Commands 1. To initiate a command, speak the command wake up word ‘Command’
The SQUID SQ.200 is shipped with everything you need to successfully use it: 1. To initiate a command, push and hold the Push-to-Talk button until into the microphone.
1. Voxtec approved, noise canceling headset you hear the command ‘double-ping.’ 2. When you hear the ‘double-ping,’ the SQ.200 is listening for you to
2. User Manual 2. When you hear the ‘double-ping.’ the SQ.200 is listening for you speak a command.
3. Phrase Reference Booklet to speak a command. 3. Speak a command from the list of commands in the next section
3. Speak a command from the list of commands in the next section of this guide.
4. Mini-USB cable for downloading phrase modules and software
updates to the SQ.200 of this guide. 4. The SQ.200 will perform your command, and in most cases, indicate
5. AC power/charger with universal adapters 4. The SQ.200 will perform your command, and in most cases, indicate through the headset that the command has been performed.
6. If purchased, optional accessories such as holster, car charger, and more. through the headset that the command has been performed.