Biology Ms. Zibrat
Study Guide Cell Reproduction (Chapter 8: Section 2)
(Remember this test only includes what is in your notes – NOT all of chapter 8)
1. Limitations to cell size
- What causes a cell to divide?
- What are the 3 reasons cells cannot get too large?
- What are the two times organisms need to make more cells?
- What are chromosomes?
- What is chromatin?
- During most of the cell’s life what form in the DNA in?
- Why does DNA need to be uncoiled during most of the cell’s life?
3. The Cell Cycle
- Define the cell cycle.
- What are the two parts of the cell cycle?
- What does IPMAT stand for?
- What happens during the three parts of Interphase?
- What is Mitosis? What are the four phases of mitosis?
- What is the busiest phase of the cell cycle?
- What is the longest phase of the cell cycle?
- What are the four phases of Mitosis?
- What four things happen during Prophase?
- What are sister chromatids?
- What are Centrioles and what do they help form?
- What is the spindle and what is the spindle used for?
- What happens during Metaphase?
- What happens during Anaphase?
- What happens during Telophase?
- What is cytokinesis?
- What phase of mitosis is the longest?
- What phase of mitosis is the busiest?
- What phase do new cells created by mitosis enter into next?
5. Plant Vs. Animal Cells
- What are the two major differences between plant and animal cell
- What provides support for animal cells during cell division?
- What provides support for plant cells during cell division?
- Explain how the new cell wall is formed in plant cells during
- What is the cell plate and how is it formed?
6. Control of the Cell Cycle
- Explain the two ways in which the cell cycle is controlled.
- What is Cancer?
- How does control of the cell cycle relate to cancer?
- What is the “current view” on cancer?
- What are the four major types of Cancer?
- What are some of the environmental causes of cancer?
Possible Essays: Essays on the exam will be SIMILAR to these sample essays.
1. Explain why interphase is considered the busiest part of the cell cycle.
2. Explain the differences between plant and animal cell mitosis.
3. Explain the two ways in which the cell cycle is controlled.
4. What is the importance of mitosis?
5. Explain the current view on cancer, how cancer works in the body, and some of
the factors involved in causing cancer.