Project Management Methodology for IT
How much is too much?
Copyright John Barden, David Allen, Doug Ryan 2007. This work is the intellectual property of the authors. Permission is granted for this material to be shared for
non-commercial, educational purposes, provided that this copyright statement appears on the reproduced materials and notice is given that the copying is by
permission of the author. To disseminate otherwise or to republish requires written permission from the authors.
Why focus on PM?
• New University President
• Unified IT
• Strategic realignment
• Growth in demand for IT projects
• Demand for integrated service delivery
• Need for common framework
Team and Project
Formal IT PM Successful PM friendly
discipline IT Projects tools
Project – A specific set of activities with a definitive start and end, undertaken to
deliver a unique product or service.
• Gained support
• Established project team PM Experts
• Built vocabulary
• Developed methodology
• Refined methodology (Scalability)
How much methodology?
Full Process Model
Ultra-Lite Process Model
Scalability: It Depends!
FULL LITE ULTRA-LITE
OASIS Guest NetID
Formal change Change review Change
review sessions. team.
CHANGE MANAGEMENT request form.
Weekly sessions Monthly
RISK MANAGEMENT with multiple
Formal process Project manager Project
COMMUNICATIONS & dedicated (limited manager
resources. formality). (informal).
PROGRESS sponsor Sponsor sign-off.
review sessions. sign-off.
Scalability: It Depends !
Large Project: OASIS Small Project: Guest NetID
Leaders Core Comm.
Committee Gate Sponsor
Extended Team Lead
Phase 2 Phase 3
Paths = 105 Communication Paths = n(n-1)/2 Paths = 3
Methodology: Team Model Applied
Project Lessons Learned
• Takes time for a diverse team to get to the starting point
• Seeding organization with methodology experts
• Ownership / Mentoring / Process improvement
• Keep leadership involved
• 80/20 means 80/20 not 98/2
• Focus on building a flexible PM guide
• Clearly articulate decisions reached
• Identify a process champion
• PM gaining credibility across University IT
• Demand for our services is on the rise
• Projects are increasingly linked to…
Linking PM to the SDLC
• Improve requirements definition
– ‘Use case’ methodology
• Understand the business
– Process modeling
• Improve quality
– Testing methodology Management
Project and Portfolio Management…
Governance Executive Resource Methodology
•Process model •Handbook
•Team model •Templates
• Full / Lite / Ultra-Lite •Collaborative
• Consolidated View
• Alignment to Strategy •Improvement Team
• vPMO Functions •Training Programs
John Barden – Director
Dave Allen – Assistant Director
Doug Ryan – Project Manager