“The Cask of Amontillado”
Match the following terms and examples
Irony Foreshadowing Direct Characterization
Setting Symbol Indirect Characterization
Hyperbole Mood Narrative fiction
Conflict Point of view Verbal irony
Imagery Inference Unreliable narrator
Short Story Idiom Resolution
1. This story can be read in one sitting.
2. I continued, as was my wont to smile in his face, and he did not
perceive that my smile now was of the thought of his immolation.
3. A huge foot d’or in a field azure, the foot crushes a serpent rampant
whose fangs are embedded in the heel.
4. The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could.
5. The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could.
6. The wine sparkled in his eyes and the bells jingled. My own fancy
grew warm with the Medoc.
7. “It is this” I answered, producing a trowel from beneath the folds of
8. Montresor vs. Fortunato
9. The Cask of the Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe
10.Montresor was never caught.
12.“Your health is so precious.” (Montresor said to Fortunato)
13.“Here I knocked off the neck of a bottle”
14.It was about dusk, one evening during the supreme madness of the
15.“And as for Luchesi”, said Fortunato, “he is an ignoramus..he cannot
distinguish amontillado from sherry.”
16.This Fortunato…he was a man to be respected and even feared.
17.The person telling the story secretly schemes for revenge.
18.A moment more and I had fettered him to the granite.
19.“Nobody attacks me without punishment.”
20.“May he rest in Peace.”