2 cover story
The Asian Jour nal M D W K M A G A Z I N E - O c t o b e r 2 9 , 2 0 0 8
by Cynthia De Castro
s Judgment Day draws
near, last minute cam-
paign efforts intensify
candidates Sen. Barack Obama
and Sen. John McCain. Here
is the 411 on the candidates
from their official websites,
democratic and republican
primary debates and cam-
paign speeches as compiled in
this will serve as your guide and
help you make the most crucial
decision on the November 4
elections. Please vote wisely.
The FACTS ABOUT The FACTS ABOUT
Age And Birthday
Age And Birthday
• Barack Obama is 47 years old. • John McCain is 72 years old. Senator John McCain with wife Cindy McCain
Senator Barack Obama with wife Michelle Obama • He was born on August 4, 1961 in Hono- • He was born on August 29, 1936 on a military installation in the Panama Canal Zone where
lulu, Hawaii. his mother and father, a Navy officer, were stationed.
• Franciscus Assisi Roman Catholic Primary School, in Jakarta, Indonesia, from • Were he to be inaugurated as president, he would be the oldest in history at age 72.
kindergarten through the 3rd grade; To John McCain’s asset, his mother is still alive and active at age 96.
• Sekolah Dasar Nasional Menteng No. 1 or the Basuki school, in Jakarta, Education
Indonesia, 4th grade; • Episcopal High School in Alexandria,VA., graduated in 1954.
• Punahou School in Hawaii from the 5th grade to the 12th grade; • United States Naval Academy, 1958;
• Occidental College in Los Angles, California for two years; • National War College, 1973
• Columbia University in New York, New York, BA in political science, 1983;Harvard Law School, Marriage History
J.D., 1991 graduated magna cum laude or in the top ten percent of his class • First Spouse: Carol Shepp
Marriage History Married: July 3,1965 in Philadelphia, PA. Divorced: April 2nd, 1980
• Spouse: Michelle LaVaughn Robinson • Current Spouse: Cindy Lou Hensley
• She was born on January 17, 1964 Married: May 17, 1980
• Occupation: Vice president of community and external affairs at the University of Chicago •Occupation: Chairwoman of Hensley and Company board of directors.
Medical Center. Children
• Married October 18, 1992 in Chicago, Illinois. Children with Carol Shepp
Children • Doug Shepp, son, born Oct. 12, 1948, is John McCain’s oldest child and a pilot for American
• Malia Ann Obama, born on July 4, 1999 Airlines. Doug is the child of a former marriage of McCain’s first wife Carol Shepp and
• Natasha (Sasha) Obama, born in 2001 was adopted by McCain as a young boy.
• Both children attend the University of Chicago Laboratory School in the Hyde Park • Andy Shepp, son, born May 12, 1962. Andy is the son of McCain’s first wife Carol Shepp
neighborhood of Chicago. and was adopted by McCain as a young boy.
Religion • Sidney McCain, daughter, born Sept. 2 1966, works in the music industry.
• United Church of Christ. Children with Cindy Hensley McCain
• Barack and Michelle Obama resigned their membership in the Trinity United Church of Christ • Meghan McCain, daughter, born Oct. 23, 1984, a journalist and now working as a
in Chicago where Barack had been a member for twenty years. The resignation followed offensive campaign aide for McCain.
comments by Rev.Michael Pfleger and Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. • John “Jack” Sidney McCain IV, son, born May 2, 1986, attends the United States
Military Experience Naval Academy.
• None. • James “Jimmy” McCain, son, born May 21, 1988, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in
On The Economy Sept. 2006 and is stationed in Iraq.
• He supports tax incentives for companies that keep jobs in the US. • Bridget McCain, born on July 21, 1991, adopted daughter from Mother Teresa’s
• He believes that the NAFTA agreement should be renegotiated to protect orphanage in Bangladesh.
the American economy. Religion
• Obama suggests a $75 billion plan for the economy would offer a $500 tax • Episcopal
rebate to families and a $250 Social Security supplement to seniors. Military Experience
• He also would put more money into unemployment insurance. • Naval aviator training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
• He would give federal money to States hardest hit by the housing crisis. • United States Navy 1958-1981, Pilot, Captain, with service in Vietnam;
• He would stop mortgage fraud and predatory lending with legislation that he • Prisoner of war, Vietnam, 1967-1973;
proposed two years ago • Awards: Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross
On Immigration On The Economy
• Obama supports amnesty / permanent legalization for illegal aliens and temporary • He supports lowering taxes to help small businesses.
legalization for illegal aliens as guest workers. • He would cut the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25%.
• He supports granting citizenship to illegal aliens already in the country as long as they pay • McCain supports giving tax breaks to businesses for investing in equipment and technology.
the fines and back taxes, learn English, do not violate the law and go to the end of the line • He wants to establish a permanent tax credit for research and development.
to become citizens. On Immigration
• He supports efforts to build a fence along the Mexican border. He backs the use of • McCain supports amnesty / permanent legalization for illegal aliens and temporary
additional personnel, infrastructure and technology to safeguard American borders and ports. legalization for illegal aliens as guest workers.
• Obama advocates tougher laws to keep illegal aliens from finding jobs and would create • He initially supported the temporary guest worker program that failed to advance in the US
a program for employers to easily verify an applicant’s immigration status. Senate and then his position to emphasize border security first. He advocates tightening
On Health Care of the border by increasing patrols.
• Obama claims that medical bills and health related issues are the number one cause for • He would increase the number of visas issued for agricultural workers.
personal bankruptcy. • McCain supports relaxing the restrictions barring legal immigrants from using social
• A priority for Obama would be to promote affordable, accessible, and high-quality programs such as food stamp, health care and housing.
health care. On Health Care
• Obama would mandate that all children have health care coverage. • McCain opposes universal health care.
• He would create a national public insurance program that would allow individuals and small • He supports importing prescription drugs to lower costs.
businesses to buy affordable health care similar to that available to federal employees. • He would offer a refundable $2,500 tax credit and $5,000 for families.
• He supports universal health care, and believes that the government should buy prescription • He would open health care markets by allowing providers to practice nationwide, rather
drugs in bulk to reduce costs. than restricting them regionally, allowing the purchase of health insurance across state lines.
• His plan would require all employers to contribute toward health coverage for their employ- On National Security
Continued on Page 5 Continued on Page 6
THE RUNNING MATES
Six-term Sen. Joseph Biden, Jr. of Delaware was first elected to the US Senate in The first woman to appear on a GOP republican presidential ticket, Sarah Palin was born
1972 when at 29 years old, he became the youngest US senator in modern history. Born on February 11, 1964, in Sandpoint, Idaho but grew up in the small town of Wasilla, Alaska.
Nov. 20, 1942, in Scranton, Pa., he is described as a moderate Democrat who often Formerly crowned Miss Wasilla who became a runner-up in the Miss Alaska contest, Palin went
bridges the bipartisan gap. Biden sought the presidential nomination in 1988 and 2008. on to earn a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987. She also be-
A Catholic, he has a Bachelor’s degree in history and political science from the University came a television sports reporter in Anchorage. Palin first ran for public office in 1992 and won
of Delaware, 1965; and a law degree from Syracuse University, 1968. He married Neilia a spot on the Wasilla city council at age 28. In 1996, she became mayor of Wasilla, unseating
Hunter in 1966 with whom he has three children, Joseph R. III, Robert H., and Naomi. His a three-term incumbent. Running as an outsider on an ethics reform platform, she was elected
Senator Joe Biden wife and daughter Naomi died in a car crash in 1972. In 1977, Biden married Jill Jacobs governor in 2006. Palin and her husband, Todd, have five children: Bristol, Willow, Piper, Track Governor Sarah Palin
RUNNING WITH SEN. BARACK OBAMA in 1977 and they have one daughter, Ashley. (who is in the US Army and was deployed to Iraq on September 11, 2008) and Trig. RUNNING WITH SEN. JOHN McCAIN
On November 4, 2008, America will be facing a major event in history -- the presidential and local elections. Decisions will be made to vote for a new cap-
The Powers tain, ‘The One’ who will be tasked with a most gargantuan feat -- steering the giant ship which is America and determining the course of its future. The Asian
Journal MDWK Magazine encourages all Filipino-Americans to exercise this right and privilege by bringing you this issue -- your comprehensive and informative
That Be guide to the upcoming elections. This is our humble yet patriotic contribution -- one that will create a sense of political awareness among our kababayans here
in Southern California. AJ