UJIAN AKHIR NASIONAL
Mata Pelajaran : Bahasa Inggris
Hari : ................................
Tanggal : ........../........../2008
Mulai : ..........
Selesai : ..............
Lamanya : 120 menit
Jumlah soal : 50 butir
1. Berdoalah sebelum mengerjakan soal!
2. Tulislah nomor pesertamu pada lembar jawaban yang tersedia!
3. Kerjakanlah soal – soal sesuai dengan petunjuk pengerjaannya!
4. Gunakan pensil 2 B untuk mengerjakan ujian ini!
5. Hitamkan huruf a, b, c, atau d pada Lembar Jawaban Komputer ( LJK ) yang
6. Dahulukan mengerjakan soal yang kamu anggap mudah, baru kemudian
mengerjakan soal yang lain.
7. Hapuslah sebersih mungkin jika kamu hendak memperbaiki jawaban!
Jawaban Salah Jawaban yang diperbaiki
a b c d a b c d
8. Periksalah kembali hasil pekerjaanmu sebelum kamu serahkan kepada pengawas!
9. Akhiri ujianmu dengan berdo’a, meninggalkan soal dan lembar jawaban di meja
ujianmu, serta meninggalkan ruangan dengan tertib!
BERILAH TANDA SILANG (X) PADA SALAH SATU HURUF a, b, c, ATAU d
DI DEPAN JAWABAN YANG PALING TEPAT!
1. (1) Some of the places where they live are Africa, India, South America,
(2) They hunt mammals and birds which come to the river to drink
(3) Crocodiles are the largest and the most dangerous reptile
(4) They can also attack and kill people
(5) They have large mouths and mamny sharp teeth
(6) They live in rivers
The best arrangement to make a good paragraph is.....................
This text is for questions 2 and 3
SMP Negeri 107 Jl. Pemuda No. 8
Palembang 30138, Telp. (0711) 41234
We invite you to attend our meeting that will be held :
On Saturday, January 17, 2008
At 11:00 a.m.
In the school hall
Agenda : Final preparation for wall magazines competition 2007
Please come on time
See you there!
2. Where will the meeting be held?
A. At Evi’s house
B. At Candra’s room
C. At Naya’s office
D. At School
3. Which statements is CORRECT according to the text?
A. Evi is not a student of SMP Negeri 107 Palembang
B. Naya and Candra ask Evi to write articles for school magazine
C. The students organization of SMP Negeri 107 will have a meeting
D. Evi is the treasurer of the student’s organization
4. Dodo : Execuse me. Sir. I can’t read the sentences on the board
Rudi : It’s all right. Dodo, switch on the light, please
Dodo : All right, Sir
Rudi : Thank you, Dodo
Dodo : You’re welcome
Where does the dialogue take place?
A. In the bedroom
B. In the office
C. In the classroom
D. In the canteen
5. Yesterday I didn’t go to the meeting. I........my mother cook in the kitchen. She
was very busy preparing for my sister’s seventeenth birthday party.
B. am helping
C. will help
6. Candra : It’s very hot day, isn’t it? What about dropping in at the cafe on
Iqbal : ....................I feel very thirsty, too
A. It’s not necessary
B. It’s a bad idea
C. It sounds good
D. It look easy
7. Look at the traffic sign! It means...............
A. the road is winding
B. the road is slippery
C. the car may not enter this street
D. there are a lot of winding turns
This letter is for questions 8 to 10
Jl. Rangkah Besar 4
February, 23, 2008
I’m sorry I haven’t informed you about holiday yet. Actually Satrio and I
want to go to your town as soon as posible. But, my father doesn’t let us goto
your house alone. We have to wait for our father’s holiday.
We will leave on next Saturday evening by train. We will arrive at yourtown
on Sunday at about two p.m. I hope you can pick us up at the railway station.
That’s all my information. I hope we will spend our holidays happily. Give
my best regards to uncle, aunt, Troy, Hilman, and Rahmad.
8. How would Rani’s family go to Pini’s house?
A. By car
B. By bus
C. By train
D. By plane
9. When would they arrive at Pini’s house?
A. On Saturday afternoon
B. On Saturday evening
C. On Sunday afternoon
D. On Sunday evening
10. Who is Rani’s brother?
11. SWITCH OFF ALL ELECTRONIC
APPLIANCES WHEN YOU DON’T
We will find such kind of instruction in the following places, EXCEPT.............
A. at home
B. at school
C. in the office
D. along the street
This text is for questions 12 to 14
Whales are sea-living mammals. They therefore breathe air but cannot
survive on land. Some species are very large indeed and the blue whale, which
can exceed 30 m in length, is the largest animal to have lived on earth.
Superficially, the whale looks like a fish, but there are important differences in its
external structure: its tail consists of a pair of broad, flat, horizontal paddles (the
tail of a fish is vertical) and it has a single nostril on top of its large, broad head.
The skin is smooth and shiny and beneath it lies a layer of fat (blubber). This is
up to 30 cm in thickness and serves to converse heat and body fluids.
12. What is the text about?
A. Kinds of fish
B. The whales
C. Sea animals
D. All mammals
13. The following are the proofs that whales are not fish, EXCEPT..........
A. It has a single nostril
B. It cannot survive on land
C. The skin is smooth and shiny
D. Its tail consists of a pair of broad, flat, horizontal paddles
14. ”................, is the largest animal to have lived on earth”.
What does the underlined word above mean?
This text is for questions 15 to 17
Once in a forest there lived a cat and a rabbit. They were very good friends. One
day when they were walking together through the forest, they found a
big.........(15) of cheese. They were very pleased, and agree to share........(16).
They decided that the rabbit should divide it equally.........(17) he could not. One
piece was a little bit bigger than the other.
15. A. loaf
16. A. it
17. A. and
This text is for questions 18 to 20
Once upon a time there was a beautiful place called Neverland where
Peter Pan and Tinker Bell lived. Not so far from this place in the city of London
where John, Wendy, and Michael Darling lived. They really loved the story of
Peter. One day Peter Pan appeared and asked the children to fly to Neverland.
They were very excited to see the scenery and beauty of Neverland. Then they
were surprised to know the existence of a cruel pirate called Captain Hook. One
day Captain Hook captured Tinker Bell and forced her to show Peter Pan’s place.
In doing so all Peter’s friends The Darlings were captured and taken to the pirate
ship. Captain Hook frightened the children by putting them on the plank.
Suddenly Peter Pan appeared and stopped everything. In a fierce duel, he
threw Hook and all the pirates overboard. Hook was chased away by a crocodile,
and nobody cared to save him.
The Darlings were so happy and thankful to Peter Pan. They told Peter
their intention to go home. With the sprinkle of Tinker Bell’s Pixie Dust, Captain
Hooks pirate ship was sailing through the skies of Neverland, heading back to
the Darling’s home in London.
18. Where is the plank that was used by Captain Hook to frighten the children?
A. In Hook’s ship
B. In Peter’s home
C. In Neverland
D. In London
19. What is the problem faced by Peter Pan?
A. The Darlings left their home and flew to Neverland
B. Peter’s friends were captured by Captain Hook
C. The ship flew over the sky to the city of London
D. Captain Hook and Peter Pan had a fierce duel
20. We can learn from the story that................
A. Braveness is needed to be a hero
B. Good and right things will win
C. A beautiful scenery is good to see
D. Neverland is a place for children
21. Arrange the following sentences into a good paragraph!
(1) The gamelan is sacred and believed to have supernatural power
(2) It is also forbidden to step over any in a gamelan instrument
(3) Incense and flowers are often offered to the gamelan
(4) Thus, the musicians have to take off their shoes when they play the gamelan
(5) Gamelan is the main element of Indonesian traditional music
(6) Both musicians and non musicians are humble and respectful to a gamelan
The best arrangement is.................................
22. KEEP CLEAN THE CLASSROOM
The sentence above means...........in the classroom
A. don’t make any noise
B. don’t throw rubbish anywhere
C. put the books on the bookshelf
D. put the rubbish on the floor
This text is for questions 23 to 25
Breakfast is provided free of charge. We also have special discounts on food and
drinks at our restaurant for all registered guests. On top of that, there’s a fifty
percent discount for children below 12 at our restaurant, we are located close to
the apple garden and butterfly farm. You can also see the sunset and sunrise
from your room. Children would also be entitled to free horse riding lesson every
Rp380.000,00 per night
COOL HEAVEN, BATU HIGHLANDS, MALANG
Reservation : (0341) 7689980
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
23. Which is free of charge in the hotel?
A. having food and drinks in the restaurant
B. having breakfast and horse riding lesson
C. entering the apple garden
D. staying for nights
24. Who is the fifty percent discount given to?
A. All registered guests
B. 14 year old children
C. 11 year old children
D. Adult people
25. ”On top of that, there’s a fifty percent discount for children below 12 at our
The under lined word means.............................
D. in the age of
This text is for questions 26 to 27
Every school offers the extracurricular activities for the students. The
activities are usually held after the school hours.
There are many different types of activities, such as the English club,
sports club, arts club, computer club, and school magazine club.
Students from all grades should participate in the extracurricular activities,
although, they are optional. Sometimes, the activities are meant for fun or for
learning something new.
The extracurricular activities are managed by the students themselves.
While teachers act as supervisors or coaches.
26. The word offers (1st line) has the same meaning as.......................
27. The word participate means.........................
C. take part
28. Which of the following sentences best explains the above signs :
A. If you break any of the articles you should pay for it
B. You don’t have to buy articles that are broken
C. In this section you will only find broken articles
D. The shop sells special broken articles
This text is for questions 29 to 31
1. Soak the shredded paper in water for about 3 hours
2. Blend the soaked paper into pulp
3. Add water and glue at the following ratio : 15 it of water : 3 it fo pulp : 1
spoonful of glue. Pour the mixture into a plastic container
4. Dip the screen into the mixture
5. Gently raise thscreen with a layer of the mixture
29. What do we do first if we want to make pulp?
A. Mix the shredded paper with 15 lt of water and 1 spoon ful of glue
B. Soak the shredded paper in water for about 3 hours
C. Pour the shredded paper into a plastic container
D. Dip the shredded paper into water
30. If we use 6 lt of pulp, and 2 spoon ful of glue, how much water do we need to
make a good mixture?
A. 15 lt
B. 30 lt
C. 45 lt
D. 60 lt
31. ”Soak the shredded paper in water for about 3 hours.”
The underlined word means..........................................
A. Put into water until completely wet
B. Put into liquid in a short time
C. Take out from the water quickly
D. Raise from the water gently
This text is for questions 32 to 34
The students usually go to library during the break. There are a lot books,
magazines, news papers, novels, fables, and short stories.
The students should have a member card to borrow books. They can
borrow two books at the same time for three days. If they return the books late ,
they will be fined Rp 100,00 for each book. There is a notice in the library
starting ”keep silence” . It means they must not make a noise in the library. Much
noise will disturb other students who are reading.
When students want to borrow books from the school library, they may go
to the bookshelves to choose the books. They can find them easily because they
are arranged well. The librarian will also help the students find the books.
32. How long can a student borrow a book?
A. Two days
B. Three days
C. Four days
D. A week
33. Yudis borrowed two books. He returned them after a week.
How much will he be fined?
A. One hundred
B. Two hundred
C. Four hundred
D. Seven hundred
34.”.....................because they are arranged well.” (Paragraph 3)
What does the word ”they” refer to?
A. The students
B. The librarians
C. The books
D. The bookshelves
This text is for questions 35 to 37
San Fransisco is my favorite city in the United States. It is beautiful, clean,
not too big, and it has something for everybody. I love the streets and buildings in
San Fransisco. The streets wind up and down the hills, with beautiful old brick
and wooden houses on either side.
On of my favorite things to do in San Farnsisco is to ride the cable car. It
takes you to most parts of the city. It’s not a very comfortable ride, but it’s exciting
and the views you get from the car are wonderful.
I like the weather in San Fransisco. It never gets too cold or too hot. The
summers are pleasant. The fresh breezes blow of the ocean and the sky is
always blue. It rains quite a lot in the winter, but it never gets very cold.
Another thing I enjoy about the city is the restaurants. The seafood
restaurant with crabs and lobster are my favorites. You can also get great
Chinese, Japanese, American , and European food in San Fransisco.
35. The text is about San Fransisco which....................
A. is a tourist destination
B. has a bad weather
C. is the writer’s favourite city in USA
D. has a comfortable transportation
36. From the text above we know that the streets in San Fransisco are
37. ”But it’s exciting and the views you get from the car are wonderful.”
The synonym of the underlined word is ..................................
This text is for questions 38 to 39
Thousand of tourist go to Bali each year. They like to go on trips for the
fun of seeing strange (38) things, because Bali is one of the places where they
expect to see them.
Many villages have gamelan and dance teams for their religions and other
ceremonies. The Kecak or Monkey dance shows part of the famous (39).
Ramayana story. Some of the other dances are the Legong, The Kebyar, and the
38. A. interesting
39. A. colossal
This text is for questions 40 to 44
Indonesia consisit of different ethnic group, languages, cultures and
traditions. The 17.000 island forming the world’s largest archipelago chain is the
home to more than 200 million people descended from over 200 different ethnic
groups. There are over 350 different languages spoken. Bahasa Indonesia, the
national language, seems to be a second language and not their mother tongue.
It is spoken as the first language only in the provinces of West Sumatra and the
Though Bahasa Indonesia is derived from Bahasa Melayu, there are some
differences in meaning and pronounciation. Recently, there is a move to make
Bahasa Indonesia (and Bahasa Melayu) accepted as one of the official
languages of the Association of South East Asian Countries. This would give
great significance to Bahasa Indonesia and make the learning of it more useful
for the use not only in Indonesia but also in Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei.
40. How many ethnic groups does Indonesia have?
A. About 350
B. More than 200
C. Less than 200
D. Around 170
41. Paragraph I tells us about Indonesia as............................that consists of
different ethnic groups, languages, cultures,and traditions.
A. an archipelago
B. a mother tongue
C. a population
D. a chain
42. Which statement is NOT TRUE about the Indonesia language?
A. It is derived from the Malay language
B. It is the national language of Indonesia
C. It is the mother tongue of all Indonesia people
D. There is a move to make it as one of the official language of Asean
43. The Indonesian language becomes the second language for many ethnic
A. they have their own mother tongues
B. they think their languages are not good
C. they want their own languages to be a national language
D. the Indonesian language has been used by other countries
44. Which of the following underlined words has inconect spelling?
A. The little boy had along day he was feeling tyred
B. The man’s face showed that he was displeased
C. The man walked briskly to keep warm on the very cold night
D. It is impossible for parents to shield their children from every danger
45. Look at the picture!
Rp175.000,00 Rp125.000,00 Rp.85.000,00
The picture show that......................................
A. the Electric Pot is the cheapest
B. the iron is more expensive than the mixer
C. the iron is most expensive
D. the mixer is cheaper than kettle
46. Teacher : How about your test this morning, Sofian?
Sofian : I think it was too difficult.
..................I will get a good mark. I could only do a few items
A. I’m sure
B. I am certain
C. I don’t believe
D. I’m not sure
47. Naya : Hi, Ta! I bring a photo of my brother
Tata : May have a look?
Naya : Of course. Here it is
Tata : Wow. He is very good looking...................is he?
Naya : 177 cm
A. How long
B. How far
C. How tall
D. How high
48. Arrange the following words into a good sentence
disguised-day-old woman-as-the next-the queen-herself-an ugly
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
This text is for questions 49 to 50
Early people wore animal.............(49) to keep them warm, but about
10.000 years ago people learned how to make..............(50). They used a spindle
to spin wool, cotton, flax, or hemp into thread, which could be woven into fabric.
These fabrics were then made into clothes.
49. A. scale
50. A. house