Readying Complete Dentures for Processing
1. Follow the directions in the section titled “Complete Denture Wax-Up”.
2. Mark the posterior palatal seal outline in the palate.
a. Place dots bilaterally in the hamular notch.
b. Place dots in the Fovea Palatinae.
c. Connect these dots with a curved line.
d. Place a dot about 8 mm anterior to this line and about equidistant from the
hamular notch and the Fovea Palatina in the two glandular zones on both
sides of the midline.
e. Place a dot in the midline 2 mm anterior to the Fovea Palatinae.
f. Connect these dots with a curved line taking care to not to cross the
3. Carve the posterior palatal seal in the maxillary cast.
a. The areas anterior to the posterior extent of the posterior palatal seal that
are bounded by the outline are carved in this manner.
1) All areas are tapered from 0 mm in the anterior part.
2) The hamular notch area is cut 1.0 mm deep.
3) The area in the middle of the palate is reduced 0.5 mm.
4) The areas of the glandular zones are cut 1.5 mm deep in the
posterior portion about equidistant from the hamular notch and
the midline and gradually decrease to meet the depth of those
4. Finish by placing one sheet of baseplate wax in the palate and sealing the dentures
to the casts as taught in the section “Complete Denture Wax-Up”.