CALL TO ORDER – 5:02pm 3/23/11
PRESIDENT'S REPORT- Shelby Dickison
• GPC Funds: working on providing funding for medical students traveling to
conferences. If you are presenting a poster fair as a co-author, then you may qualify
for funding through GPC
• Student fee review committee: formed by GPC - contact Shelby for details. You will
have an opportunity to weigh in on where our Mizzou activity fees go.
• Officer elections: Whole student body will weigh in and speeches will be sent to
everyone over the listservs.
• SIGN presentation by Jason Kern - Neurology interest group renewal. Currently there
are no resources available for insight into affiliated with the American Academy of
Neurology that will provide some funding. Entrance into the AAN is possible through
SIGN. Have had several meet and greets with the residents and had a neuroanatomy
review for the first years. Autism panel upcoming.
TREASURER'S REPORT – Ben Gerber
• No report
SECRETARY’S REPORT – Greg Blair
MUtation = Working on page deadlines, keep sending in pictures and buy a
Social = Spring BBQ will be Thurs April 14th. James Walton will be the BBQ chef.
Games, food (and vegetarian options from Trader Joe’s)
M1 – Stoked that block 3 is over and yearbook pictures are coming in.
M2 – Yeah boards. Registration got pushed back.
M3 – Setting up away rotations.
M4 – Donezo.
AMA: Dr. Wilson was here last week, looking forward to A-Review April 8th @ 7:30 at
the Cosmo Club. $8 tickets, but buy them early for $7! State meeting coming up.
AMWA: Mentor dinner April 5th, sending 4 members to the national conference in D.C.
AMSA: Sent a member to the national conference in Anaheim, gearing up for elections.
ASI: Meeting and elections coming up.
CMDA: 25 members going to Guatemala over spring break on a mission trip. Just had
a speaker come in on Monday regarding medicine overseas.
Derm: Final meeting first week of April.
EMIG: Dr. Charles is coming from Wash U on Tuesday...dinner to follow at
Shakespeare’s. Mizzou alumnus Tim Cobalt will be back.
FMIG: No report.
GIG: Had last meeting of the year, talked about Alzheimer’s research with Dr. Oliver
and his amazing bike rid across the country.
Greatest Gift: Meeting coming up April 6th, just partnered up with the Red Cross for
helping out at blood drives
Med-Peds: Last meeting coming up soon.
MedZou: May be implementing mental health night soon.
Mind Over Medicine: No report.
MOVE: Weather is nice so Adopt-a-Highway will be back in action. Watch for Habitat
for Humanity involvement soon.
MMSA: Meeting tomorrow @ 5:30, everyone is invited. Physicians will be providing
their perspective on serving in the military. Not just for students in the military!
MS for Choice: Meeting next month for Planned Parenthood rally and elections
MS for Life: Working on final meeting along with elections.
MS for Nat’l Health Program: New leadership up and coming.
OB/GYN: Getting ready for a lecture on contraceptive choice and Q/A with recently
matched M4’s regarding the process.
ONHS: Had a cadaver lab last month, microsuture lab coming up next month.
Ortho: Meeting next week with M4’s who matched.
Path: Final meeting April 6th at the Heidelberg with faculty and residents.
PM&R: No report
Psych: No report
Radiology: Last meeting was today with chief resident regarding Interesting Cases in
Rural Med: Meeting next week - Cheri Marks to talk about incentives for going into Rural
SIGHT: Diabetes talk with Dr. Beard last week, moving Dr. Tharenos talk.
SIA: Now a part of MSAC.
SNMA: No report.
Student Ambassadors: Second look day coming up
Peds: Autism meeting April 21st, working with Sim
Surgery: Panel of matched M4’s scheduled April 7th, suture lab April 12
Wilderness: Meeting coming up.
• Old business: Voting regarding Humanism in Medicine, Wilderness in Medicine
membership in MSAC.
- Both groups missed 3 meetings and are up for dismissal from MSAC
- Humanism in Medicine was not present at the meeting.
‣ A majority vote dismissed Humanism in Medicine from MSAC
- Wilderness: annually sends a group to Med Wards, usually sponsors a meeting
with Dr. Rowling regarding tick-borne diseases. They will have a meeting in the
next couple of weeks.
‣ A majority vote confirmed that WMS shall remain in MSAC
• Vote on SIA - Gavin Hartman. Had a meeting last week with Dr. Reeves-Viets that
- Majority voted in favor of recognizing SIA as an interest group.
• Election candidates:
• President: Greg Blair, Emily Spradling, Craig Yager
• Secretary: Chris Schaefer, Beth Lewis, Megan Mohrman, Danielle Zimmerman
• Treasurer: Sarah Ditch
ANNOUNCE NEXT MSAC MEETING DATE = April 20th, 2011
ADJOURN - 5:45 pm