What is a computer Virus?
• Is a computer program that can copy itself and
infect a computer.
• A true virus can spread from one computer to
another (in some form of executable code)
when its host is taken to the target computer
Why do people create computer
• To gain control of or hack a computer and use it
for specific tasks.
• To generate money by using such malware as a
• To steal sensitive information (credit card
numbers, passwords, personal details, data, etc.,)
• To prove that they are capable of writing a virus.
• For revenge against a company
• To cripple a computer or network
• LAN Connection
• Internet Connection
• Flash drive
• Floppy disk
• CD (compact disc)
• DVD (digital video disc)
Kinds of Viruses
• General Viruses
• Email Viruses
Four types of viruses that spread to
• Program – this type is executed from within
specific application programs.
• Boot sector- this type enters your system through
a floppy disc or any removable media and then
infects the hard drive.
• Macro – this type is written specifically for macro
applications on your computer like Microsoft
Word, Excel and Outlook
• Email – this type spreads through email
• Computer Runs Slowly
• Random Restarts
• Anti-viral Software disabled
• Printing errors
• Attachment Extensions
• Anti-Virus Software is used to prevent, detect
and remove malware, including computer
viruses, worms and Trojans.
• Preparation – includes making backups of all
software (including operating systems) and
making a contingency plan.
• Prevention – includes creating awareness,
implementing hygiene rules, using
authorization software, or providing isolated
• Detection – involves the use of anti-virus
software to detect, report and (sometimes)
• Containment – involves identifying and
isolating the infected items.
• Recovery – involves disinfecting or removing
infected items, and recovering or replacing