CHAPTER – 5
ENFORCEMENT OF LABOUR LEGISLATIONS
5.1 Various Labour Enactments that are enforced
by Labour Department
1. The Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923.
2. The Trade Unions Act, 1926.
3. The Payment of Wages Act, 1936 and Rules 1937.
4. The Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986.
5. The Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946 and Rules 1947.
6. The Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishments Act, 1947 and Rules 1948.
7. The Industrials Disputes Act, 1947.
8. The Minimum Wages Act 1948 and Rules 1950.
9. The Plantations Labour Act, 1951.
10. The Working journalists & Other News Paper employees (conditions of Service) and
miscellaneous provision Act, 1955.
11. The Tamil Nadu Catering Establishments Act, 1958 and Rules.
12. The Tamil Nadu Industrial Establishments (National and Festival Holidays) Act,
13. The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961 and Rules 1967.
14. The Motor Transport Workers Act 1961 and Rules 1965.
15. The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965 and Rules 1975.
16. The Beedi and Cigar Workers (Conditions of Employment) Act, 1966 and Rules
17. The Contract Labour (Regulation and abolition) Act, 1970 and Rules 1975.
18. The Payment of gratuity Act, 1972 and Rules 1973.
19. Tamil Nadu Labour Welfare Fund Act, 1972 and Rules 1973.
20. The Equal Remuneration Act, 1976 and Rules.
21. The Sales Promotion Employees (Conditions of Service) Act, 1976.
22. The Tamil Nadu Industrial Establishment (Conferment of permanent Status to
Workmen) Act, 1981.
23. Tamil Nadu Manual Workers (Regulations of Employment and Conditions of work)
24. Tamil Nadu Payment of Subsistence Allowance Act, 1981.
25. Cine Workers and Cinema theatre Workers (Regulations of Employment) Act, 1981
and Rules 1982.
26. Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1976 and Standards of
Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules 1977.
27. Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985 and the Tamil Nadu
Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Rules 1989.
28. Inter/State Migrant workmen (Regulation of employment and Conditions of service)
29. The Tamilnadu Handloom workers (Conditions of Employment & miscellaneous
Provisions) Act 1981.
ROLE OF OFFICERS
ROLE OF THE OFFICERS IN LABOUR DEPARTMENT
6.1 Head Office
6.1.(a).Commissioner of Labour
The Commissioner of Labour, as Head of the Department, is assisted by Joint
Commissioner of Labour (Administration) in the administrative functions and Joint
Commissioner of Labour (Conciliation) in settlement of industrial disputes and in the
enforcement of Labour Legislations.
For the implementation of various Labour Laws in his official capacity the
Commissioner of Labour is associating himself with various statutory & non-Statutory
bodies, which are constituted by the Government.
1. Chairman, TN Construction workers Welfare Board
2. Chairman TN Manual Workers Welfare Board
3. Member, Tamilnadu Labour Welfare Board.
4. Member, Regional Committee under the
Employees Provident Fund Scheme.
5. Member, State Council for Training on Vocational Trades.
6. State Apprenticeship Council.
7. Member, State Equal Remuneration Advisory Board.
8. Member, Tamilnadu Institute of Labour Studies.
9. Member, State Minimum Wages Advisory Board.
10. Member, Tamilnadu State Child Labour Advisory Board.